Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM

438 posts, read 947,630 times

Advertisements

Last week, I noticed one of the lymph nodes on his neck had become really swollen and he was a little less energetic than usual. Took him to the vet and they said generally this is a result of a localized infection and in most cases, antibiotics will knock it out. They also gave him a shot of something to reduce the swelling and told me to keep an eye on him. He's only two and a half yrs old and the vet says cancer is rare and not probable.
A couple of days later, the swelling was almost gone and he was feeling good. But this morning, the lymph node was enormous again and he's somewhat lethargic. I haven't missed any of his antibiotic doses and he still has three days worth of medicine left. Since the lymph node shrank initially and he perked up, this is probably not a cancer thing, right? I don't want to rush back over to the vet until I'm sure the medicine isn't going to work, but I get paranoid about my animals' health and worry that things will get worse if I don't take him. He's eating and drinking normally, isn't vomiting or having diarrhea or anything...so I can probably hold off on taking him at the moment, right? Any ideas what the problem is? What should I ask the vet about if this doesn't go away soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
If it shrank in response to the antibiotics, I think you can stop worrying about cancer. But since it grew again, I'd call and let the vet know. Different antibiotics work better for different strains of bacteria, and he may need to be on a different antibiotic. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Agreed. Finish the course of antibiotics that you have and then go back to the vet if need be. Maybe call the vet while finishing this course of antibiotics to make sure you don't need to go back in yet. Best wishes.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM

438 posts, read 947,630 times
Well, I took him back and now they can definitely tell that there is an abcess. Fun. It's not severe yet so they're going to keep him on antibiotics for another week and if it doesn't clear up, they'll lance it...ugh. Hope it clears up before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs