Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoyd View Post
Someone mentioned it but it is worth repeating — you only need to brush the *outside* of the teeth. Doggie toothpaste is an enzyme (unlike human toothpaste) which means you don't need to really brush the way a person does. Put some on a cloth wrapped around your finger and it only takes a moment.

The slight downside of bones is that they create small abrasions in the enamel which can create a hospitable site for decay.

Thanks

I did not know that about dog's toothpaste. I will mention it to my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Since mine drool and slime everywhere I either feed them outside or on the tile floor.
Ours drools like crazy, but only when she smells foods. For example, she can be outside laying on the lawn, happy like a little bug, and it seems that she starts dreaming of food or something and starts drooling from both sides of her mouth. It looks awful, like two long spaghettis hanging out her mouth (she has a very shiny black coat).

Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I'd take that mine drool ALL THE TIME. They could be standing there and drool slides from their mouth. When they drink water I have to mop the entire floor from the "waterfall" afterwards........

Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Our dog's name is Abbie, a Rottweiler/Lab mix that looks and acts much like a Lab (very friendly, plays with but never bites her toys), and friendly to adults and children as well.

What I meant to say is that she closes her mouth and tightens her lips, which in turn makes it difficult to brush her teeth. My wife sometimes manages to put her fingers in Abbie's mouth to prevent her from tightening her jaws (Abbie is very gentle and won't close her mouth on my wife's fingers), but must times Abbie anticipates my wife's move, and closes her mouth as soon she sees the brush

-------------

Thanks to all of you for the fast responses. My wife and I will try all of your suggestions to see what works. I could try moose bone, but F&G advises to never feed a dog raw wild game meat nor bones.
Don't enter from the front lips. Enter from the back where it's all loose and flappy. You'll be right in the area you need to be in too. And it sounds like those fingertip brushes would be perfect.
this is what i mean

Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Don't enter from the front lips. Enter from the back where it's all loose and flappy. You'll be right in the area you need to be in too. And it sounds like those fingertip brushes would be perfect.
this is what i mean
Thanks for the link.

It does sound like another good idea, and will have to give it a try. I have seen similar finger brushes at the local pet stores.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
My vet commented on how clean my dog's teeth are and asked me if I brushed them. I do try to brush his teeth but he doesn't like it. I also give him Hartz dental bones and that deserves the real credit.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
My vet commented on how clean my dog's teeth are and asked me if I brushed them. I do try to brush his teeth but he doesn't like it. I also give him Hartz dental bones and that deserves the real credit.
Amazon is out of them, so I will look at the local pet stores since I will try several of the suggestions all of you have posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs