Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine having such a big dog around and was wondering how much someone would spend on dog food for a dog this size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM

482 posts, read 875,234 times
I have 3 dogs, two that size and one that is still a puppy but will be that size. They do not eat as much as you think, maybe 50-60 lbs a month. The bigger issue is finding an appropriate food. My biggest msle is still growing and gets supplemented with satin balls to meet his caloric needs until he is done.

PS- Mine just starting sneaking drinks from the kitchen tap while I'm doing dishes. Love him.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
Heh, I have TWO of those monsters. Oldest is 200Lbs and other one is steadily growing

It costs about $300 per month for the raw food with an extra $120 for the kibble.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,674 times
Ugh - what about picking up his poops?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM

399 posts, read 705,400 times
No thank you. I'll keep my little 8lb3oz dog. LOL. I couldn't handle picking up after a dog that size. LOL

Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Heh, I have TWO of those monsters. Oldest is 200Lbs and other one is steadily growing

It costs about $300 per month for the raw food with an extra $120 for the kibble.
I budget about $500 per month to feed my family of 2 adults and 2 10 year old girls. I can't imagine spending that kind of money to feed a dog. I'm sure they are very hard to place if they ever end up in a shelter.

And yes we pick up poop for our 2 dogs. You would need a shovel and a Little Red Wagon to drag behind you if you pick up poop for a dog this size!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I budget about $500 per month to feed my family of 2 adults and 2 10 year old girls. I can't imagine spending that kind of money to feed a dog. I'm sure they are very hard to place if they ever end up in a shelter.

And yes we pick up poop for our 2 dogs. You would need a shovel and a Little Red Wagon to drag behind you if you pick up poop for a dog this size!

LOL! Yeah sometimes I can't believe the amount myself but its the breed I fell in love with. I'm pretty sure I can feed for less with the raw food but they are worth every penny.

As far as stools go, its not bad like people make it out to be. I do feed raw and my largest boy's out put is smaller if not the same size as my hand twice a day.. The little one is the same but more frequent and actually is out put is larger because I'm feeding kibble.

Not really believe it or not they are one the few large breeds that move pretty fast at a shelter.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
What breed is it?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I have 3 dogs, two that size and one that is still a puppy but will be that size. They do not eat as much as you think, maybe 50-60 lbs a month. The bigger issue is finding an appropriate food. My biggest msle is still growing and gets supplemented with satin balls to meet his caloric needs until he is done.

PS- Mine just starting sneaking drinks from the kitchen tap while I'm doing dishes. Love him.
I believe you, but that's still hard to believe, because that's how much I'm going through a month with a 45 lb dog, a 60 lb dog, and a 65 lb dog. They go through a 25 lb bag of Nature's Variety Instinct every 15-16 days, and they'd go through more if the Instinct wasn't so calorie dense (close to 500 cals a cup).

Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM

482 posts, read 875,234 times
The dog is a Great Dane.

The difference between a Dane and smaller dogs is metabolism. They are very laid back. As puppies, they can eat as much as 12 cups a day during growth spurts. When you finally get weight on them they shoot up and look like a bag of bones overnight. That dog in the picture is at least 2 yrs old probably more like 3+. That is when they finally start holding weight better. Some of the bloodlines are thinner and taller and some are shorter and stockier. Danes are famously laid back. We laugh at my big male who just turned 17 months because he's only getting off the sofa if necessary. After having labs and terriers it is very different. Danes are called to be very brave but never aggressive. I can assure you though, that their instinct is to hunt and protect. My puppy is 14 weeks old and would not let the appliance repair man in the house today. Full of growls and barks. The same puppy was laying down 3 hours later and my 1 year old son sat down right on him. No movement from the puppy. They are great family dogs. I have never owned a GSD but I imagine them to be just like this, too. Also, I have trained numerous dogs (retrivers and terriers mainly) and they are so smart, but not as funny as Danes. Retrievers and Terriers want to please so bad. Danes do too, but they are funnier. Lastly, Danes are the absolut easiest puppies to train out of anything I have ever had. Bar none. My heart dog was a lab/pointer mix butI can already see the writing on the wall when my Danes go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs