Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:39 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

First of all I live in a very rural area where it is common practice (by some) to let their dogs run. PLEASE do not suggest I call animal control because they will only respond AFTER someone is bit.

I have lived here for over ten years and have a regular walking route on my road that is a half mile up the road one way and a half a mile the other. I generally do five "laps" or ten miles a day. When I moved here there were no homes on this stretch of road. A guy bought the property across the road last year, logged it and then put in a trailer. He then rented the trailer to a couple that have two dogs. One of the dogs is still a pup and is friendly. There is an older female dog that will run up barking with her tail "sort of" wagging but at times it is rigid as if she is being aggressive.

I talked to the guy (renter) and mentioned I walk the road every day weather permits. I also mentioned that other people up the road sometimes walk it. He said "I would hate to tie up the dogs". I also mentioned the dangers from drunk drivers. A couple of people up the road have had dogs hit and killed despite it being a low speed road. (I know there are a lot of drunks because I pick up their whiskey bottles on my walks) Of course Coyotes were brought up too since they are in the hollow a lot right across the road from his trailer.

I don't think he has the money or desire to fence in a place for the dogs and doesn't want to chain them. I refuse to stop walking, I need to do it for health reasons.

Any suggestions on how to get this female dog to stop being aggressive? I do carry pepper spray while walking but I prefer something that won't hurt the dog.

Do you think if I threw her a biscuit a couple of times she might see me as less of a threat? If I start doing that will she come to expect it?

I have a feeling this will be a very temporary problem since the dog won't be alive too long. I figure she will either get hit by a drunk, get mixed up with the coyotes or be shot by one of the other neighbors that walk the road.

BTW- I have four dogs myself, I keep them in an acre fenced area around my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
The cookies is a good idea, that way she will look forward to you walking by. Another you might try... ask the owner if you can put her on a leash and take her with you on the walk. That way you can also make friends with her, she will get the walk, .....?????

Glad you are talking to the owner and not just calling the authorities.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Excellent idea about the walk. Hang out with her and the owner a bit first, so she'll feel more comfortable, even if the owner isn't someone you want to hang around with that much.
About dog treats. Give her one freebie the first time, but then make her work for it, by sitting or something. I tried the treat tactic with a fear aggressive dog once. It worked great for awhile, then the dog started demanding a second treat, and not politely. I should have had her sit for her treat in the beginning, so she saw it as me choosing to give her something instead of me buying her good will with something.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
On walks, I have found that you need to carry pepper spray and a walking stick...and here is why:

I was walking back home with one of my dogs and the neighbors have a dog that visits. As I was coming up the road, the visiting dog decided to come meet me and my dog...full speed and charge ahead. I've seen this doberman grow up through his visits and he was probably 18 months at the time. I had no fear of him however, I did not know how he and Diesel would get along.

Although my dog thinks every dog is an opportunity to play, he had never met this dog and I did not know his intentions (bobbed tail) as he got close I took the walking stick and slammed it (one end) to the road with a sharp "NO." So the walking stick was between him and us. He stopped with a "deer in the headlights" look, re-grouped and tried to walk around it with me repeating my action and words. He again stopped. The neighbors call him back and that was the end of that.

I like the idea of getting to know the dog (through her owner, as S2C suggested) and make sure it is "ok" to give the dog a treat...and yes, I would make her work for it after the freebie.

However, I would still keep the pepper spray and walking stick for your protection.

((BTW, if the dogs tail is not bobbed/docked, when it is up over their back curled (minus the dogs that are naturally that way) in the position of a scorpions tail, that is aggression whether it is wagging or not.))

Let us know how it goes, please.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
I have zero tolerance biting dogs. I'd suggest carrying a taser.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
If it is a type of dog you could physically control - not the type with super strong jaws you could not pry apart with a crow bar (literally!)...

At first stand there and let the dog come up and sniff you. Place your hand out backwards so it can smell your hand. If you crouch low, you will be less threatening.

You may want to try "playing" with it. Learn about how dogs communicate they want to "play". Looks like this...
http://scienceblogs.com/thoughtfulan...x375-44423.jpg

I kind of bend over and pat my hands on my knees - then my dogs think I want to "play".

Then chase after the dog - let the dog chase after you. Maybe stand there and bark. Go ruff!

Maybe get a ball and throw it. Give the dog treats. Could be a lot of fun.

If on the other hand it is a vicious type dog with a very strong bite, pepper spray it each time it comes up to you. Might want to get an electric taser as well.

Dogs with the strongest bites...
Which dog has the highest bite force in the world? - Page 1

Some areas are enacting vicious dog laws...
Breed-Specific Laws (BSL) State by State - Legislating Dogs - DogsBite.org

Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
You've tried talking to the renters with poor results...CALL THE OWNER as they will be libel if something does happen and the owner might not know the renter has dogs at all or that they are a problem.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Two things to do. Carry high value treats and toss one to each of the dogs. That turns you from a stranger into a welcome visitor.

When I was a child, I was visiting my uncle and saw the local mailman. He was walking around delivering mail and had 8 loose dogs walking with him, looking very happy, tails wagging, having a nice time.

Everyone knows that dogs hate mailmen and bite mailmen, so I asked him. No secret, he simply carried dog treats and handed them out to everyone as he went about his day. The dogs all loved to see him coming with their daily cookie.

(which means that these loose dogs might start accompanying you on you walk)

Start carrying a walking stick. If you have any dog aggression, you quietly and calmly point the stick at the dog's chest. Don't hit, don't shout. The dog will try to go around the stick and you simply, very calmly move the stick so that it is still pointed at the dog's chest. The dog will give up if you are calm and patient.

This works on even the worst vicious dog. Canine reaction to it does not give the dog any way to overcome it. If you are calm, the dog will calm down and eventually realize he is wasting his time.

Yes, you can start using the cookies to do some lure training on the dogs. Teach them to sit and down. Perhaps teach them to wait and come. Most dogs crave training and respond very well to the attention.

The owner of these dogs is not going to help you. What a shame for his dogs to die because he is an azzhat that doesn't deserve to have them. but really, all you can do is warn him about the traffic and coyotes. The dogs will pay for his neglect. So sad.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:14 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I went walking today and before I got to the trailer here comes the guys wife/girlfriend down the road in her hoopty car going really fast. Following close behind was the trouble dog chasing her. She ran right past me and up the road. On my way back past the trailer she was back home (the dog) so I attempted to toss her a peanut butter dog biscuit; it bounced off her head and she ignored it.

I guess over time she will get used to me walking by.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When I was a child, I was visiting my uncle and saw the local mailman. He was walking around delivering mail and had 8 loose dogs walking with him, looking very happy, tails wagging, having a nice time.

I used to have a residential coal delivery business, always had dog treats with me. Only ever had trouble with one dog.

My advice is if you believe the dog to not be aggressive to the point it's not going to bite you, kneel and offer it treat with an open hand. Whenever you are dealing with a dog that is stand offish always offer them an open hand and let them come to you.

Other than that I just installed a Havahart wireless fence, fairly cheap at $300 with 2 collars. It's good for up too ten acres but note it's a circle. I would not recommend this for a small lot. I was having a lot of trouble with it becsue of interfrence from the house and the vehicles around the house, I have masonry house and that is part of the issue too. With a bigger lot you can turn it up to max and that problem goes away. I ended up having to put it in the attic to get it above the blocks but now I need to devise some kind fan system before the real how weather hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs