Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM

207 posts, read 536,083 times

Advertisements

My dad who bought 2 aussie puppies. Their 9 weeks old now and they do not have their rabbies shot yet. But they did have a shot when they were 7 weeks but cannot remember what is was.
My dad was arguing with me, my mom and my brother because we kept telling him he cannot leave those puppies in their dog house when it;s below freezing. My mom keeps bitching about he doesn't pay hardly any attention to them. Luckly we are stepping in and taking care of the puppies. Also he hasn't taken to the vet at all to see if their okay after he bought the puppies.
If anybody had australian puppies before what was your set schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Call a vet and ask for guidance on how to resume the veterinarian care.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,365,497 times
Good for you for asking these questions, Pink. It doesn't matter that they are Aussie pups. Any puppies shouldn't be left outside in winter weather, or very hot summer weather either. Those puppies will be needing more shots as they get a little older, probably for Parvo and definitely for rabies. They donm't usually get a rabies shot when they're as young as your puppies. Please call a vet. He or she will have all the answers for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 AM

537 posts, read 1,769,358 times
If your pups got their Parvo vaccination (or combination DHLPPC) they should get another 3 weeks after their last one. And again in 3 weeks after that. Until they've had 4 Parvo shots, total.
Rabies, depending on your vet and laws in your area, may be given as early as 12 weeks, but usually not until 16 weeks.
Regardless, I could not leave 9 week old puppies out in the yard, in a doghouse in a snowstorm. But then again, ALL my dogs are indoor dogs and they are NEVER outside without me present.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
We have outside hounds.....and a new hound pup. The pup is in the house.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Combing this question with your questions about cats on the cat forum, it seems to me your family isn't all that invested in pets. I mean they don't seem to care too much about their wellbeing or the way they should be cared for. To spend money on these dogs and then not take them to the vet, not keep them indoors during bad weather, etc makes me wonder???Why did he even get the dogs in the first place?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,352,465 times
Yes I too wonder WHY the OP's father has these puppies! He obviously has zero interest in being a pet owner, so I have to assume his purpose in acquiring these pups is to turn them into mean yard dogs. And that's just what he'll get by leaving the 2 of them out there to fend for themselves, suffering through harsh weather, with no human interaction. I guess the only 'bright side' here is that there are 2 of them, so at least they have each other. If anyone I knew was doing this to animals (depriving them of vet care, interaction, and proper shelter in harsh weather), I would find a way to get the animals away from that person, into a new home, and I'd prevent that person from collecting any more "pets". OP if you feel for whatever reason that this is not feasible, and these pups are to remain with your father, then I would say it is your responsibility as a humane & compassionate human being to see to it that the dogs' needs are met, completely independently of your dad.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Yes I too wonder WHY the OP's father has these puppies! He obviously has zero interest in being a pet owner, so I have to assume his purpose in acquiring these pups is to turn them into mean yard dogs. And that's just what he'll get by leaving the 2 of them out there to fend for themselves, suffering through harsh weather, with no human interaction. I guess the only 'bright side' here is that there are 2 of them, so at least they have each other. If anyone I knew was doing this to animals (depriving them of vet care, interaction, and proper shelter in harsh weather), I would find a way to get the animals away from that person, into a new home, and I'd prevent that person from collecting any more "pets". OP if you feel for whatever reason that this is not feasible, and these pups are to remain with your father, then I would say it is your responsibility as a humane & compassionate human being to see to it that the dogs' needs are met, completely independently of your dad.
I agree but it sounds like this is a young girl and defying her Dad may prove dangerous. Who knows? Still we as the general public should be alert to animal cruelty and turn folks in. Anonymous calls sometimes work wonders. OP can you turn your dad in and try to get better care for these dogs?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,067,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree but it sounds like this is a young girl and defying her Dad may prove dangerous. Who knows? Still we as the general public should be alert to animal cruelty and turn folks in. Anonymous calls sometimes work wonders. OP can you turn your dad in and try to get better care for these dogs?
I remember reading some of the OP's previous threads and it seems that dogs with behavioral issues, acquiring puppies and not wanting to bring the animals to the vet is a chronic problem for the whole family.

Sorry to be harsh, but 9 week old puppies should be snuggled and loved in a warm house, they should be checked out by a vet and given every chance to become the great dogs they can be.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,382,644 times
A quick scan of the OP's posts in the dog forum and I've seen that her family used to breed dobies, her mom now breeds boston terriers, she see's no harm in breeding since she would rather buy from a breeder than spend thousands on a dog from a shelter, etc.

She seems to be of a much different mind set than many of the folks who are frequent posters in the dog forum and I doubt we can have any influence on that.

She's not a child but is 28 and her dad is 80. Why any 80 year old would want two Aussie pups is beyond my ability to understand. I won't be at all surprised if 6 months from now we hear that these "bad" dogs have been gotten rid of by some means or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs