Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times

Advertisements

So I bought some supplies today:
6 toys
1 bag of food (?1 week worth)
Crate/Crate pad
Puppy potty training pads
Flea/tick control meds
Brush/comb
Leash, collar, harness
Bowls
Treats (2 different)
Stain remover,smell remover
Potty 'training spray'
About $356

Does that sound like everything is covered? I am probably going to round it out with a steam vac and a hand vacuum. That should round out the $750 dollar mark. Any suggestions on what else to buy? Any suggestions on a hand vac and steam cleaner or shampooer?

Oh, yeah, the dog is coming tomorrow.

I am using my daughter's old 'baby gate' to keep him safe in one of two places in the house (I haven't decided which location yet). I am going to keep the crate in that room when I leave so he can sleep there. Baby gates should work, right?

It looks like this:
Retractable Pet Gates: North States Pet Gate at PETCO

SORRY FOR THE BARRAGE OF POSTS BUT HE'S COMING TOMORROW!

Last edited by titaniummd; 10-29-2007 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Looks like ready.Toys do not give all at once switch em around so thinks new and not boring,they will always have a favorite though..

Next step vet appt. so get all shots and heartguard treatments started.

I was told by neighbor quickest way to make dog go potty outside is take out when grass is wet set down and then they will pee right away and associate grass with potty.Unsure if works he said did well for him but must be wet grass.

You can use treats as positive reinforcement when goes out potty or gets in crate alone and such.Lots of praise does wonders also.

Did you get nail clippers yet? get em used to it while small and bathing also.

I have used that type of gate before and they are pretty good.

Have fun with new family member.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Nail clippers - thanks. Gotta go back. Are there 'standard' types or are they all the same? I have to make sure he is comfortable with me and comfortable with 'paw contact' before I approach him with sharp shiny clippers.

All the shots are up to date but I will do a vet visit on my next day off - thanks. Heart guard - yes. I know I need a prescription for that. Should I not take him anywhere until that is addressed?

Do not give toys all at once-ok. I suppose the Kong is the high yield one to give. Then that rope floss for the breath. I also bought a tooth brush - another trust issue to work with.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I would suggest waiting to do any flea/tick preventive until you've spoken with the vet.

If you're going to buy nail clippers don't forget the styptic powder in the event you hit the quick.

How old is the pup and when were the last round of vaccines? A pup should not be out and about in public until two weeks after the final puppy shots.

As for a carpet cleaner, my friend swears by her little green machine, use an enzymatic spot remover as it responds better to pet urine, etc.

Bowls, stainless steel, ceramic or a nonporus plastic.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Yaaaay!

I can't wait to see some pics of the new "baby"!

You'll probably want an ID for the collar soon. The Shrinky Dink kind work well, but the pet store machine that engraves them for you on the spot is probably best (it's metal).

For carpet pet accidents, I'm a big fan of Woolite's product (and it's sold in Publix and Walmart, so it's always easy to pick up).

Oh - books! Have you gotten some books?

Goin' Potty :

As soon as you bring him/her home, immediately go outside to the spot you've pre-chosen for potty, it's likely he/she will need to go right away from the nervousness, etc.

As the dog relieves him/herself, chant in a very low voice "potty-potty-potty....". The dog will begin to associate the word "potty" with the action and you'll soon be able to ask the dog to "go potty" .

Whenever the dog has active play, wakes from a nap, comes out of his/her crate, these things might stimulate the need to go potty, so be sure to take the dog out immediately following these activities. Even chewing vigorously on a Kong can stimulate the need to go. After meals, I'd take the dog outside within 10-15 minutes (small dog, quicker release ).

**I'm finding that my adult rescue is not feeling an "urgency" to go potty outside since she's still getting used to the whole idea of indoor living. She's never had to differentiate between inside and outside before and has always been able to relieve herself whenever and wherever she wanted. As a result, she's learning more based on my praise......I'm *thrilled" when she goes potty outside, therefore, she wants to go potty outside more .

It's all a little different with housebreaking an adult dog .

Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM

If I can figure out how to send pix I will.

I have a book on Bichons, Dog training for dummies, Dogs for dummies and another Dog training book.
I need to get the collar, heartworm meds, nail clippers. Any suggestions on nail clippers?

I may try to watch the groomer cut the hair and try to do it myself to save a few bucks here and there.

I still need money to buy golf balls (from losing so many).

Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I would suggest waiting to do any flea/tick preventive until you've spoken with the vet.

Bowls, stainless steel, ceramic or a nonporus plastic.
I will hold off on administering the flea stuff.

I bought stainless bowls.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
If I can figure out how to send pix I will.

I have a book on Bichons, Dog training for dummies, Dogs for dummies and another Dog training book.
I need to get the collar, heartworm meds, nail clippers. Any suggestions on nail clippers?

I may try to watch the groomer cut the hair and try to do it myself to save a few bucks here and there.

I still need money to buy golf balls (from losing so many).
I like the basic "guillotine" style clippers (search "dog nail clippers" on Amazon and you'll pull up the diff styles).

"Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons is a really good book (I'm rereading it now ).

I'll PM/DM you a note on how to send pics, 'cause we've got to have some pics!

Oh, don't worry about golf balls, you probably won't have time for golf for a while.......hee-hee!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Nail clippers seen these and have to get some yet but like my dogs with black nails seems be easier..Miracle Coat Quick Finder (google it) many prices.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM

115 posts, read 615,898 times
Default bought supplies

Unless you are very careful you can hurt your dog by clipping yourself. If it is exercised like walks on sidewalks etc the nails will take care of themselves. Let the vet give shots and meds. My Shepard is the only dog I have ever had that had nails that needed attention and she has had them done three times by kennel and twice by vet we have had her for about eight years. I had one dog a Weimaraner that I raised from a 8 week old pup never did his nails. He slept in bed room and I took him outside every two hours put him on grass and made encouraging words about going potty and big praise when he did - It was not long before he just went to door when he needed to go. Even the shepard that I mentioned above who is quite old asks to go outside but I do have to be sure she goes outside after meals and at am and pm. The BEST Flea Spray that I ever had is 'VET KEM Ovitrol Plus' and is available from vets only.
for dog meal AVOID the cheap stuff it is not all the same!
nothing with corn - I always have mixed meal with meat (beef only). settle on a brand that is good and don't change they don't like variety upsets tummy or plugs them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs