Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Sydney, Australia (AHN) - An Australian sheepdog called Tess is fighting for his life after saving his owner from a deadly snake attack, local media reported Wednesday.

Tallebudgera Valley retiree Fay Palethorpe, 68, was in the garden of her huge property on the Gold Coast when she came across the two-meter eastern brown snake.

Dog Fighting For Life After Rescuing Owner From Deadly Snake Attack | November 1, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009011364 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,725 times
wow!! on 2 accounts! 1) that is a big ass snake to come across while just hanging out in your own yard..thats over 6 ft long!! and 2) poor dog..if it werent for that snake being so venemous the dog would be fine with just treatable puncture wounds by the ear...poor thing..even if they save it its likely it will have some sort of paralysis

Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
There are a lot of poisonous snakes in Australia. I think that even the city dwellers have to keep an eye out for them.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
I lived in Australia for a year. When I moved I brought my dog with me. She was in quarantine for 30 days and I would go and visit her every day that I could. You had to keep the dogs separate from other dogs, but you could take the dogs out to little fenced areas outdoors. We walked outside, and I opened the door to once fenced yard and my dog ran in. Immediately she approached this huge mass on the ground. She stood not too far away, sniffing it, observing it, like what is this? I got closer and as I did I saw that it was an enormous brown snake wrapped around a lizard, which it had just strangled and was getting ready to eat. Of course, I screamed at my dog and we got out of there quick. I yelled to the folks at the quarantine to come check it out. It turned out to be the highly venomous Brown Snake and one bite would have brought my dog down in minutes. Brown snakes are normally very timid and they'll slither away from you fast, but if you sneak up on them or if a dog runs after them, they'll turn around and bite in defense.

Greenie

Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Sydney, Australia (AHN) - An Australian sheepdog called Tess is fighting for his life after saving his owner from a deadly snake attack, local media reported Wednesday.

Tallebudgera Valley retiree Fay Palethorpe, 68, was in the garden of her huge property on the Gold Coast when she came across the two-meter eastern brown snake.

Dog Fighting For Life After Rescuing Owner From Deadly Snake Attack | November 1, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009011364 - broken link)
Gosh, what a story.........and what a wonderful dog.
Please let us know that she makes it.......I really hope so...
She needs a Silver Star

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
Wow! What a great, yet sad story! Thanks for the post! I hope the dog makes it!

That made me think of another story that's very similar.

Pet Pitbull - Positive Press

Taken From Text:

Quote:
When the deadly cottonmouth snake struck out at "her" children, Dixie never hesitated. The dog pushed the children aside, putting her 50-pound body between them and the snake. Dixie saved Frank Humphries, 9, and his 7-year-old twin siblings, Katie and Codi. But the venomous snake inflicted two bites on the face of the 16-month-old dog.
Not to hijack your thread or anything , but since you seem to like reading these news stories and there's never much as far as good "pit bull" stories, here are a few good "pit bull" stories, if your interested.

Pet PitBull - Positive Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs