Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM

409 posts, read 2,783,100 times

Advertisements

My little shi tzu had lost weight but was acting fine. Vet palpitated a lump behind her stomach and now has called to tell me the ultra sound shows a tennis ball size tumor. Tomorrow he gets the report back from the biopsy whether or not malignant. But when I asked why he just can't take it out he acted funny, and said sometimes it's not that simple. I brought her home last nite from the testing all day and she ate like a pig which was something new in itself. Slept good, and woke me up early to eat again and go for a walk. She is right now running around with a toy. He said he was happy to hear she was eating but for me not to feel there is less happening than there is and it is a serious thing. I am hoping someone out there has been thru this or is a doctor and has something good to tell me. I am so upset I don't know how i got home from the vet last nite. She is 11, but always acted like a puppy. Weighed 16 lbs and never could get a lb off her and now she is down to a skinny 13. I look at her cute little face and just cry. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
My dog had cancerous tumor in his abdomen when he was 14. He had been throwing up so I took him to the vet. The vet diagnosed him with Cushing's Diesease. The vet removed the tumor and my dog slowly got better. His legs were really weak from that point onward, and stairs were a challenge for him, but he always seemed to be a happy dog. About 4 months later, he either lost his footing or fell down my stairs. His back legs were wouldn't work. I rushed him to the vet and the vet said he could perform surgery but there was just a 50/50 chance he'd ever walk again. Knowing my dog was 14 years old and my house had stairs inside and out, I knew it was time to say goodbye. I hated that decision, but I knew it was what was best for him.

I hope your little doggy fairs much better. With her running around and eating really well, I'd count that as a good sign. Did they explain that her weight loss was probably due to the fact that all the nutrition in her diet was going to the tumor? I wish you and dog the best. I hope she recovers quickly and has many more fun years ahead.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Actually there was no nutrition, she was barely eating. Would go to the dish and walk away. The weird thing is since they assured me today that it is most definitely a tumor and not a good sign, she has been better than ever. Playing, eating, walking. I feel like i woke from a bad dream. Tomorrow they get back the b iopsy report and discuss what to do with me.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
Actually there was no nutrition, she was barely eating. Would go to the dish and walk away. The weird thing is since they assured me today that it is most definitely a tumor and not a good sign, she has been better than ever. Playing, eating, walking. I feel like i woke from a bad dream. Tomorrow they get back the b iopsy report and discuss what to do with me.
What was the update on your little baby?

Not all tumors are malignant.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM

tumor is lymphoma. I am devastated. Have cried for three days. Going to an oncologist for meds because she is 11, I will notput her thru chemo just to make this happen again in months down the road. Chemo in dogs is only used to prolong, not to cure. She is eating, walking a mile a day,. drinking, Playing. If i hadnt seen the mass on the xray myself i wouldnt believe this was happening. She's down to 13 lbs from 16 so that was his clue. Now she's eating ok but it's a little late. It's like a bad dream.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Sorry to hear of your companion's illness. I can tell you are as close to your four-legged as we are to ours. Just enjoy her and make her days happy ones.

Wishing you both well.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
tumor is lymphoma. I am devastated. Have cried for three days. Going to an oncologist for meds because she is 11, I will notput her thru chemo just to make this happen again in months down the road. Chemo in dogs is only used to prolong, not to cure. She is eating, walking a mile a day,. drinking, Playing. If i hadnt seen the mass on the xray myself i wouldnt believe this was happening. She's down to 13 lbs from 16 so that was his clue. Now she's eating ok but it's a little late. It's like a bad dream.
I am sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
Hi mimosa. I'm so sorry to hear about your shih tzu's diagnosis! I'm a vet tech. We have a couple of cancer patients who are doing well on just prednisone and pain meds. It's not a cure of course, but if she's feeling well now you may be able to get some more quality time with her. Good luck, I'll be thinking of both of you!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
So sorry for your bad news mimosa :-(

Hugs and prayers for you and your dog,

~HDL~

Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Thank you all so much for caring. This little kid doesnt deserve this so it is so hard for us. Maybe she'll be the miracle dog and live a long time. Right now she's doing well on the prednisone, seems more alert and eating. Say a prayer for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs