Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

When we went to Disney World, we took our dog along because I wanted to be able to check on her. She stayed in an air-conditioned kennel on Disney World and we visited 3 to 4 times a day to be with her. We stayed in a hot tent and when it rained, the tent leaked but Duchess was comfortable. I do think she would rather have been in the leaking tent/hot temps with us though. I would have done anything in the world for that dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
To hell and back. A week in ICU at the veterinary ER hospital, two visits every day, an ocean of tears, and enough money to buy me a new vehicle -- and we lost her. We would do it again in a heartbeat. God, I miss my Hallie.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
Pretty much whatever it takes that I can provide. She is my best friend ever. She will without thinking give her life for me, what can I do to repay that? LIke other posters my home and vehicle were chosen with her in mind - I chose a first floor apartment and after she had knee surgery my bed was on the floor for a couple of years. Yes, she sleeps with me, well sometimes. She makes rounds at night to make sure we'll all safe.

She's well fed, sees the vet annually and most of all well trained to protect her. When she dies I'll mourn my loss but find comfort in knowing she had a good life with us and that I did my very best for her although it will never measure up to what she'd have done for me =D

Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
....I've held an umbrella over him and I got soaked. He hates rain.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

795 posts, read 4,538,674 times
In Barnaby's senior years, he was often on exercise restriction but still liked to go for walks so I carried him a lot. Probably over 500 miles. Literally. I did the math. And if he were still here, I'd be honored to carry him 500 more. So what's a bridge here and there?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How far? Oh my goodness. I bought a car for my dogs. I picked out my house for the dogs. I bought a travel trailer so the dogs could travel and still sleep in their own home. I cook for my dogs.

I would carry the dog over the bridge if it were a one time thing, but if the bridge were local and we crossed it often, I would devote the time to training the dog to cross it.

However, sometimes when you are traveling and in a new area, you will find something that frightens the dogs. Or perhaps the dog had a terrifying experience with a suspension bridge that will be difficult to overcome.

Now that is what you call a Dog Lover!

Also the other posters here/what lucky dogs.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Good thread. Yes, as dog lovers, we go the extra mile for your dogs (sometimes literally as well as figuratively). My husband and I need a vacation but I say Hobbs needs one, too, even though he has his own, private 100+ acre off leash area. So we'll go to a hotel that allows large dogs and that's near a lake so he can try swimming and cool off. This will be his time with "mom & dad" without the cats (who stay home with a sitter).

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
When my last dog was nearing the end, I had used all of my 6 weeks vacation staying home with him, but thought there was hope. I paid my dog walker to come twice a day for meds and food etc. Ok fine.

A couple weeks later, I found out that she was also having her entire family come for a total of about 5 visits per day for FREE, - my neighbors said "OMG her dad is so cute, he's out on the hill pointing at the sky, talking to Rocky for an hour or two every day, then we see the brother come and some lady, too".

That girl sent her father, mother, brother just to check on Rocky and keep him company very quietly and without any fanfare. And believe me it must have been sad for them, too, but they did it.

Sometimes humans are inspirational.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
How far did I go to accommodate my dogs?

Over 3,000 miles.

Having promised them during the last of my working years that if they hung in there with me I'd buy them a place with a pond or a creek of their own to go swimming in we had to move from Oakland, CA to VA to find the right place.

They have both a 1/3 acre pond and about 1,000 of creek for their pleasure. Although the dogs that I made that promise to have all crossed over the rainbow bridge 2 of the ones that I have now went for a short swim in the pond this evening, just before dark.

Aaahh - the unmistakable aroma of wet dogs!
So sweet. I'm sure your old pups are smiling from above

We had something similar - our cat absolutely loved the outdoors, but we could never let him out where we lived. Once we moved to a place with loads of space all to ourselves, he passed shortly after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs