Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM

156 posts, read 318,476 times

Advertisements

My dog has black stuff in his left ear. It has no odor so I don't that it is a yeast infection. But it is black and sometimes it gets hard like a scab. What can I use to clear this up? I can't afford to take him to the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:47 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
Use a cloth with some warm water and wipe it out. As long as he's not shaking his head, scratching at it, it will probably be okay. Just be careful not to have the cloth too wet, you don't want to get water in his ears, then he may get an infection. Keep an eye on it though, if it smells, then he may have an infection, it could be yeast or bacterial, each is treated differently. Use your finger to get down in there, it shouldn't hurt him, if it does he may have an infection.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
If it's just dried-on ear wax, you can get special ear cleaner solutions at pet stores. If it's on just the ear flap or away from the ear canal itself, just a cotton ball soaked and in warm water and excess water squeezed out so none runs down into the canal - you can gently work it off with that.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Sounds to me like ear mites. If there are other animals in the house, they could be contagious. You would need to medicate with a miticide (Canex) about 2 times a week for about a month. Medication does not destroy eggs and a new crop will reinfect if you stop too soon.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Sounds like ear mites, which can be really itchy!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,728 times
Take a QTip and gently go into the dogs ear with it, not too far though. Sounds like ear mites to me too. If the QTip has a lot of black gunk kind of like dried oil, its more than likely mites.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
My dog has black stuff in his left ear. It has no odor so I don't that it is a yeast infection. But it is black and sometimes it gets hard like a scab. What can I use to clear this up? I can't afford to take him to the vet.
you really need a vet to check it, not us! Then, you may need meds, if you can not keep the dog, you, have a problem! The dog will suffer with an ear problem. Please don't use a tip
into your dogs ear, we humans also should not do this!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-12-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 11:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
you really need a vet to check it, not us! Then, you may need meds, if you can not keep the dog, you, have a problem! The dog will suffer with an ear problem.

Agreed, our vet said put a simple ear cleaning solution on a cotton swab and rub it in there and it would clean it out.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM

43 posts, read 215,737 times
My dog had a simular issue in one ear and the Vet told me it was a bacterial infection. I was given drops and an ear cleaner to apply for several weeks. It cleared up and hasn't returned. Cost about $130 bucks.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
OK one dog as a puppy 5 months old her first check up, had yuck in the ear! I am not a vet, what I did
need to do was get ear drops, you don't need this also from the vet. place them in the ears, and the yuck goes away! I am not a vet, but if you look at dr foster, they do have people that may help,
and get you the ear drops! If the dog does have floped ears, that may be why. Get the good ear drops, and try that. Dr Foster can maybe help with the problem! If it works you don't pay the vet fee. But get good drops, not cheap! Maybe peroxide, and a cotton ball? Be real caution with the long one!
I think the bottle ear clean to clear it up is you best bet! You just squirt the meds into the ear canal, and follow what it does say. Google Dr Foster! Then they have a dr. you may speak to. However, take care of it now!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-12-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs