Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

Hi-just wondering. I have had dogs for years and never owned one? Do they get frustrated trying to get the treat out? What do you put in? I have 2 15lbs dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i tend to fill kong wit dry treats like kibble of broken up cookie, then put a big thick glob of no added salt peanut butter over the hole.
they have to work to get the penut butte rout then it becomes a game working to get all the bits of cookie out too...(since they have to move it around)

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
You could put a little peanut butter, canned dog food or cottage cheese (low sodium) inside and freeze it to give the dog a little challenge.

I know you are referring to a regular kong but I just read on Suzanne Clothier's blog about her nearly losing a dog from a floating kong. There was a sponge type filler in the kong that the dog somehow extracted and swallowed.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I wet down their food til it's mushy, stuff it in the kong (layering in the occasional "goodie") and then seal the entire thing with peanut butter. Then I freeze it. That's their breakfast when I need to keep them occupied. I'm cruel to my dogs like that

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,450 times
I put dry "cookies" inside. I have an issue with putting something wet or sticky in there; I'm sure you can throw it in the dishwasher, but I don't want to attract bugs if the dogs can't get all of the yummy treat out.

With the "cookies," you can press the Kong so the opening becomes oblong and you can get a larger "cookie" in there. Then, the dogs "learn" the techniques for getting the treat out. One of my dogs slams the Kong on the floor to break up the "cookie." My other dog just squeezes the Kong with his jaws to break the "cookie" up. It's a hoot to watch them.

I'm assuming the dogs have to be food-motivated for them to keep at it. I imagine a dog that isn't food-motivated could get rather bored with it all.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post

I'm assuming the dogs have to be food-motivated for them to keep at it. I imagine a dog that isn't food-motivated could get rather bored with it all.
That's Artie. He's not food-motivated at all. When I gave him a Kong stuffed with yummy stuff (peanut butter and treats), he swatted it around for a few seconds and then left it. As he walked by me, I swear that I could hear him mutter, "I don't work for food. But if you want to snuggle, let me know."

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
My former dog LOVED her kong but she was not food motivated. I'd occasionally put peanut butter inside and she'd eat it but to her, the Kong was a toy---not a food dispenser. She loved its quirky way of bouncing.

Oh, and if we weren't tossing it around, she simply chew on it. She was a power chewer and that thing lasted for years.

Last edited by atina33; 07-10-2013 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
You can put all sorts of things in a Kong. Whatever your dog likes. I used to put treats, cheese, pieces of hot dog, or peanut butter. Peanut butter is especially good because it takes a while to get it all out, letting your dog be engaged in the activity longer. This was a life saver when my girl dog was younger and had some minor separation anxiety. I always gave her a stuffed Kong as I was leaving so she'd be busy with that as I walked out.
Stuffed Kongs have also been great when I've had new foster dogs that had to be secluded alone in another room. It gives them something to do and helps the boredom.

Not all dogs likes Kongs though. My other dog could care less. He may try to get a piece of hot dog out of it but only if it was easy. He doesn't really care about treats or toys in general. But if you think your dogs may like it try it. Most do. You can get a Kong fairly cheaply online, at least cheaper than in most stores. My dog, who is a little bigger than yours, isn't a big chewer so she has a puppy Kong. It's softer and bounces better and she seems to like it better than the harder Kongs. A dog that is a good chewer will destroy a puppy Kong in no time though.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
You can put all sorts of things in a Kong. Whatever your dog likes. I used to put treats, cheese, pieces of hot dog, or peanut butter. Peanut butter is especially good because it takes a while to get it all out, letting your dog be engaged in the activity longer. This was a life saver when my girl dog was younger and had some minor separation anxiety. I always gave her a stuffed Kong as I was leaving so she'd be busy with that as I walked out.
Stuffed Kongs have also been great when I've had new foster dogs that had to be secluded alone in another room. It gives them something to do and helps the boredom.

Not all dogs likes Kongs though. My other dog could care less. He may try to get a piece of hot dog out of it but only if it was easy. He doesn't really care about treats or toys in general. But if you think your dogs may like it try it. Most do. You can get a Kong fairly cheaply online, at least cheaper than in most stores. My dog, who is a little bigger than yours, isn't a big chewer so she has a puppy Kong. It's softer and bounces better and she seems to like it better than the harder Kongs. A dog that is a good chewer will destroy a puppy Kong in no time though.
Hah, I'm pretty sure my Houla hates his One day, after trying to get his breakfast out of it for a couple of hours, he brought it over and literally threw it at me. But when I'm under deadline it's a great way to channel his energy. It was also great for crate training - he was very stressed about the crate, and the kong gave him a way to work out his frustrations and keep him occupied. By the time he was done working out the food, he was tired and didn't think the crate was all that bad.

But I'd say it's most useful as a training tool if your dog has a high food drive (my Houla's food drive is off the charts).

Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
My Genuine Little Princess would be offended. The servants must prepare just the right food and present it correctly, or she turns up her nose. She'd sulk all day if I expected her to work for her treat.

My food motivated maniac who would do anything for food and will eat anything can't stand the smell of the Kong. I bought him one because he likes fetch but will demolish a tennis ball in about 45 seconds. He refuses to touch it.

However, some dogs really like a Kong, and they seem to enjoy the stuffed ones. So it is worth giving it a try. You can't know if your dog is one of the ones who loves the Kong until you invest the money and give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs