Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times

Advertisements

There used to be a woman who liked to walk her three large dogs, offleash, through our garden. It's a big property and it looks kind of like a park, but it's obviously a residence because THERE IS A HOUSE HERE.

About the third or fourth time I looked out and saw her and her dogs walking around out back, I walked out halfway and told her, in my mom's scariest voice, to get the hell out of my garden and put her dogs on leashes. I don't know where all of you live, but you probably heard me. I didn't see the point in being polite or civilized because she had to know she was on private property. She just didn't care.

I did the same thing to the guy who liked to ride his horse over our septic laterals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Thank you all so much for your replies/support. We are in Miami - right downtown. I'm just going to be more vigilant and vocal towards the other dog owners. This morning during potty time a guy with 3 dogs (all off leash) a pom, yorkie and pugle puppy. All three dogs kept trying to walk over to my leashed boy. The owner starts yelling at the dogs to stay near him and waving his arms at them. My boy sees him as a threat to me, and starts growling/barking at the owner. Sheesh, I can't wait till we get out of an apartment and into a house. I forgot to mention that this little potty park is next to a busy downtown street - YIKES who lets puppies walk off leash next to major streets.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
I wouldn't own a dog that showed aggression toward other dogs whether they were on a leash or not.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
What would you do? Drop them off at the pound once you saw it? Plenty of dogs are that way. It's called leash reactivity.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies/support. We are in Miami - right downtown. I'm just going to be more vigilant and vocal towards the other dog owners. This morning during potty time a guy with 3 dogs (all off leash) a pom, yorkie and pugle puppy. All three dogs kept trying to walk over to my leashed boy. The owner starts yelling at the dogs to stay near him and waving his arms at them. My boy sees him as a threat to me, and starts growling/barking at the owner. Sheesh, I can't wait till we get out of an apartment and into a house. I forgot to mention that this little potty park is next to a busy downtown street - YIKES who lets puppies walk off leash next to major streets.
UNBELIEVABLE. Not really. You have my sympathies. They're going to create a problem in your dog's mind, like you said.

So step forward towards them, point and say "NO, go HOME". Hopefully your dog will see you as the leader and not feel it's his job to fake protect you from the humans. I might also try walking my dog OVER TOWARDS THE GUY. To show your dog he's no threat. Of course the guy may freak out but ~oh well.

Tell them you're calling Animal Control and dial 3-1-1. Don't yell or fight just say it. It's considered a public nuisance in Miami to chase after humans.

http://www.miamidade.gov/animals/report-a-problem.asp

Overall, though, I would avoid that area. It's easier to let him eliminate on the street sidewalks than train every idiot human in Miami. Carry a walking stick as an extension of your arm for other loose dogs/strays if necessary. To block them from getting close.

Take the guys' picture and go to the office. IF they care. It's Miami, after all. If they don't act, escalate the office's lack of responsiveness to the corporate property management.

Leash Law

Your dog is not permitted to roam free off your private property. When your dog is off your property, it must be leashed at all times. Running at large: $150.00 fine for an unsterilized dog (plus a $10.00 surcharge), $50.00 fine for sterilized dogs (plus a $10.00 surcharge).

http://www.miamidade.gov/animals/leash-law.asp

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-03-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
I would lightly tap his nose to let him know not to do that. I don't like people whose dogs are off leash. They create a lot of problems for everyone else.
There is no need to do any tapping of noses. Just a verbal no. It's all energy and that starts way before there's an incident.

A dog doesn't deserve to get their nose hit just because it's owner screwed up the "training" and now doesn't know what to do about it. PLUS teaching physical punishment like hitting with hands is a really BAD idea.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-03-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
. But if I don't allow him to approach other dogs and off leash dogs approach him and he reacts am I at fault? Thoughts?

Yes. You have an aggressive, under-socialized dog. Check into some training classes to get the situation under control.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuFromNJ View Post
I've said this before and it offended a few people, but Im going to say it again..... I dont think people in the city should have dogs, especially in apartments or row homes with no yards.

Why should I be offended?

I've had LARGE dogs in apartments before.

People who shouldn't have dogs are the ones that think the only exercise their dog needs can be met on a 1/4 suburban yard.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There is no need to do any tapping of noses. Just a verbal no. It's all energy and that starts way before there's an incident.

A dog doesn't deserve to get their nose hit just because it's owner screwed up the "training" and now doesn't know what to do about it. PLUS teaching physical punishment like hitting with hands is a really BAD idea.
well, the neighbor's "no" to the dog were always ignored by the dog so what do you do then?
every single time I came over to her place the dog would not let let me sit on the couch next to the owner. it would jump onto the couch and sit in the middle of us.then it would try to hassle me off.the neighbor was unable to get the dog to stop it. she started spanking it with the slipper. the spanking failed also. this animal was incorrigible. she refused to sent it to training. I just stopped coming to her place. it was stressful for me to watch this discipline and the dog just kept harassing me as well every time I came to visit my neighbor.it demanded that she play fetch with it in the apartment by barking, whining, etc. it was exhausting for ME, never mind the dog. the friendship ended. Horrible...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
some people just should not own dogs. they won't train them or correct them.Then you have the dog who never stops jumping on people and mauling their face with the licking. I just can't take it. It's exhausting. I am a cat owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs