Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM

159 posts, read 169,155 times

Advertisements

I would not take a puppy to a dog park. (Personaly, I would not take any dog)
I think short walks on a leash are fine, but I dont do any forced exercise with my pups. Short, fun training sessions, fetch, hide and seek, find the treats... there is a lot you can do. I dont think playing tug is bad at all, its great fun, and the dog can learn a lot by playing tug. There just has to be rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Long walks.
Obedience training.

I am lucky.
I have a big fenced in yard AND an older dog who likes to play with the puppy.

But it still all must be supervised.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
I think you've never lived with a Golden/LabraDoodle. They are super high energy. They will chew a toy awhile then grab your slipper to make you react. They will go after whatever gets the biggest reaction because they're bored. They will jump right ON you to get your attention and use their teeth like puppies do, lacking being interested in what YOU want them to be interested in. Then people will rough house and tug of war, the two worst things you can do. Then wonder WHY they're high energy.
BC/lab mix. Same thing!

Quote:
Why would you think running up and down a hallway is proper exercise but they're incapable of walking outside? That's counter-intuitive, IMO. It's also TRAINING that crazy behavior INSIDE is what is normal. It's not

I didn't say they are incapable of walking outside. Why are you so aggressive to the point of twisting people's words if they don't agree with everything you say?

Quote:
It's also TRAINING that crazy behavior INSIDE is what is normal. It's not
Playing is not 'crazy behavior'.

Quote:
Avoiding exercise outside because of other dogs in a complex is not a good reason to not train the dog to walk and be around other dogs. It's easy enough to keep walking and ignore them anyway. It's part of their development and allowing the dog to make these decisions is just reinforcing that weakness. Why encourage being timid? Someone has to be the leader and instructive. It's funny how different people are, though. Saying "work out" as if walking is a bad thing, or boot camp or something. where in reality it's the ONE THING all dogs love. And benefit from, psychologically and physically.
I do not want her to get distemper from going all over a complex full of dogs. She will go all over when her vaccinations are complete.

My grass is contaminated with Parvo. A foolish person walking their unvaccinated puppy all over is going to get into my contaminated grass and get Parvo.

Her timidness is understandable given that she is a baby and I am not reinforcing anything negative. It's ok not to explore everything in the whole word by 4 months of age.

Work-outs are great. I said it is not necessary to 'work out' a 4 month old with a 30-45 minute walk every AM, that is all.

Quote:
As a dog walker, I can guarantee you that every single person that tells me "my dog doesn't like to walk" ends up being the OWNER doesn't like to walk.
I love to walk. And so does my full-grown dog. Puppy prefers to walk/run up and down my block, I said, not all over, which I don't want to do yet anyway, as stated.

Quote:
so it's not like they're going to be steady walking in the zone pounding the concrete at some adult high pace for the solid block of time 30-45 min.
And yet that is exactly what you told the OP to have her puppy do.

You're not helping people being so ****ing RUDE! What is your problem that you take your agro out on people seeking advice for their dogs and puppies?

I would not let you near mine.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
He doesn't have that big of a leash problem. I took him downtown tonight to a park and he did amazing. We even came across a group of 10-12 dogs and their owners that meet-up nightly at the park, and he was great with all of them and the people. He's getting better walking around the community as well. He still has a slight issue with refusing to come and standing still though.

Is it safe for dogs to get in lakes (including ones at dog parks) and the ocean, or is there some sanitary hazard there?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Also, the vet has said he is fine to go out and be around other dogs since he has had all his vaccines, unless she's lying. He does go in for his very last distemper in two weeks and then won't need to go back until he's 10-months-old.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Huh? My 10 week old puppy can go for a walk...how come a 16 month old can't?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
He doesn't have that big of a leash problem. I took him downtown tonight to a park and he did amazing. We even came across a group of 10-12 dogs and their owners that meet-up nightly at the park, and he was great with all of them and the people. He's getting better walking around the community as well. He still has a slight issue with refusing to come and standing still though.

Is it safe for dogs to get in lakes (including ones at dog parks) and the ocean, or is there some sanitary hazard there?
lepto, if he is not vaccinated against it, but the lepto vaccine is controversial.

PLEASE do know that there is a NEW vaccine and do not go off old articles on it!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Also, the vet has said he is fine to go out and be around other dogs since he has had all his vaccines, unless she's lying. He does go in for his very last distemper in two weeks and then won't need to go back until he's 10-months-old.
I would not say he is lying, and I would not say my vet is right, but I was told full protection is not there until one month after last set of vaccines.

After going through Parvo, I am a erring on the side of caution!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Huh? My 10 week old puppy can go for a walk...how come a 16 month old can't?
Who in this thread has a 16 month old and who said a 10, 12, 14, or 16 week old can't go for a walk?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Curious what yours is doing at 10 months?

Mine projected that after her 3rd and final set of vaccinations that she will come in a 6 months for a spay and not again until one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs