Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,887 times

Advertisements

If anyone has experienced this diagnosis in their dog, I would certainly appreciate what to look for as this progresses in my 8 year old yellow Labrador Retriever, Tess. She has been to many vets, to the U of W Veterinary Clinic and no one can help her. She was given piroxican, which I understand is for inflammation and maybe arthritis. She is still eating, walking, but is breathing out of one side only...has spread to the roof of her mouth so the usually aggressive eater has slowed down. She is a wonderful dog (we all have wonderful dogs, I know), but after spending thousands and I mean thousands, which I do not regret, my biggest fear is that she will be in pain and I won't have responded as I should. If anyone has experienced this and can tell me how to help, what to look for as time marches on. We are taking things one week at a time. Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,015 times
Sorry, but I can only send heart felt best wishes for you and your dog.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 54,041 times
Hi - we recently had a spindle cell carcinoma removed from the inside leg of our 9 year old beagle. Our vet is now considering radiation. He had the surgery about 10 days ago and has not had his stitches out yet. We are also very concerned about this returning. Our vet called it a low grade carcinoma. We are waiting for more info from our vet.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,482 times
I only had experiences with spindle cell carcinoma of the jaw, not in your location, so I don't know how serious it is when found elsewhere on the body.

I do hope you get good news from your vet about this, and my fingers are crossed for your beagle.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
I have no experience with this but am keeping both you and your dog in my prayers.

You know your dog better than anyone else, even your vet, and you will make the best decision for Tess. I know you're looking at the quality of her life vs quantity (time). None of us want to see our pet suffering in pain...especially after we've done everything possible to make this right for them. It comes to the point in saying...it's time.

I wish you and Tess more days together...and that you'll be ready to help her. Hang in there.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
If anyone has experienced this diagnosis in their dog, I would certainly appreciate what to look for as this progresses in my 8 year old yellow Labrador Retriever, Tess. She has been to many vets, to the U of W Veterinary Clinic and no one can help her. She was given piroxican, which I understand is for inflammation and maybe arthritis. She is still eating, walking, but is breathing out of one side only...has spread to the roof of her mouth so the usually aggressive eater has slowed down. She is a wonderful dog (we all have wonderful dogs, I know), but after spending thousands and I mean thousands, which I do not regret, my biggest fear is that she will be in pain and I won't have responded as I should. If anyone has experienced this and can tell me how to help, what to look for as time marches on. We are taking things one week at a time. Thank you so much
Lynn,

My 12yr old Lab mix was diagnosed with Spindle Cell cancer in her elbow today. I want to send you a huge hug, as first hand I know how hard this hurts. After loosing my Pitt/Boxer to cancer in the saliva glands about 6yrs ago. I know I don't want to watch another one of my babies go through the pain. You had said your baby was seen at the UW vet hospital? Madison? They have an amazing team, and the anti-inflam. medication you spoke about is same thing my vet is saying we can try. I was told that even though her tumor was removed, it will come back, and will grow faster and be more agressive. It went from the size of a cough drop to a softball in under 6 months. It was tested when it was small and was told it was a fatty deposit and not to worry. Our dogs are so loyal, and they will not show they are in pain until its extreme. For this reason, I have come to the terribly hard choice that I will watch Jaz's weight, and personality. As soon as I see a decline, I will let her be laid to rest, and save her from pain and operations. The small dose chemo medications and anti-inflam medications will be around $120 a month, It would be a forever medication, and still may continue to worsen. I know that she deserves the best, I do not want her quality of life to be poor because I am being selfish and trying to keep her here.

I wish you and Tess the best of luck, and if you have any more insight on this please feel free to share with me.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 53,738 times
I too have a almost 9 Year old Golden Retriever who had a lump removed 2 weeks ago, was told at first that it was a fatty lump - fine needle aspiration, but lump got bigger so had it removed, now been told spindle cell tumour, it is on his back, we have appointment next wednesday at Langford Vet College (UK) where they are going to do a CT scan and then go through our options. This is all so devastating, we love our dogs so much, I can't go through this again, done it twice before both lost to Cancer. Buster at age 3, and Barley age 11, - age 11 I can sort of comes to terms with, because all pedigrees have a shorter life. But it is so so sad, that I have told my husband that the next dog I get will be one that Talks !!

So my heart goes out to all of you that are having to make these awful decisions,

Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I see that the thread is an older one, but spindle cell is slow growing and you or new people may be dealing with this. We are 2 years beyond original diagnosis, and still hanging in there.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post33006323

Lots of helpful information from many posters dealing with this disease. Please check it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs