Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I have a 1 year old rescue (Bichon). I see in the left side of Snowy's mouth, the dental line where his gums bleed. I give him Nylabones from time to time and I brush his teeth at least every other day. The vet visits reveal that his teeth look better than what he has seen. However, when I brush his teeth, the toothbrush is blood tinged. He is being fed Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken. Any advice on 'gingivitis'? Flossing? (yeah, right - I barely get the teeth brushed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Rope toys are grerat to play with and chew on, actual bones, bleached or basted, depends on if you want the basting stuff on your carpet. Sometimes though, dogs like us are simply prone to bad dental health.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Rope toys are grerat to play with and chew on, actual bones, bleached or basted, depends on if you want the basting stuff on your carpet. Sometimes though, dogs like us are simply prone to bad dental health.
He has a 'rope toy' but he doesn't seem to chew on it. Should I spray some peanut butter flavored stuff from the Kong toy onto it?

For the most part, if he is enjoying a snack, he is a licker rather than a biter. He prefers, it seems, the dry kibble moistened with water. Should I stop moistening the kibble?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A longshot, but my Corgi/Border Collie developed "Cutaneous Lupus" reddened sores in his gums (and privates). Some dogs get it in their eyes, ears, and nose. He was always seeming uncomfortable after "doing his business" and the areas were reddened.

Diagnosis was by a skin sample. He now is on Prednisone 5mg a day and is doing fine.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
One of my dogs chews her Nylabones so hard that sometimes her gums bleed .

Is there blood everyday, or only sometimes?

Can you pull the nylabones for a while - maybe replace with a soft rubber Kong bone?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
feed the dog dry food without the water. also you could give carrots for a treat.
Bichons have real tiny teeth, and are prone to this, as any small dog will be. Maybe
once a year the dog should get a dental cleaning from the vet. I think also a Bichon
would like the small dog bones which are sold at dr Foster, and walmart etc. I think the name is Dingo, they are white and red. Hoof bones are good also if the dog likes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs