Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times

Advertisements

Isn't the "Center for Leash Law Enforcement", called "Animal Control".....maybe it is just semantics. You were correct...she was wrong, end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The majority of the fools allowing their dogs off leash, that I advise, are mostly men.
Men seem to have this stupid macho thing that whatever they do, be it against the law or not is ok.
I have brought s few down a peg or two since I started the center.

Bob.
I get that what the lady did was wrong-if it is the law to have the dogs on a leash then they need to be leashed. However, your attitude is just as wrong in my opinion, even though it is not illegal.

Try coming to my state with that ego and see if you can bring myself or my husband down a peg or two. I can guarantee it won't work. Hunting dogs don't get leashed and Californians don't intimidate Hi-liners.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
In one of the previous post, someone mentioned that on private property, leash laws don't apply.
I can't speak for other places, but here in California, your animal, on private property must be restrained by means of a tether (for no longer that three hours) or be in a fenced in yard where by the dog can not escape and become a danger to other animals or people.
Your dog must not be allowed to run freely in an unenclosed area.

Perhaps laws are different in other parts of the country, but my guess would be many states have the same rules regarding private property.

The object is to protect those who may possibly be attacked by a loose, unrestrained dog.

Bob.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:53 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Isn't the "Center for Leash Law Enforcement", called "Animal Control".....maybe it is just semantics. You were correct...she was wrong, end of story.
Animal Control is a division of city governments.
Monies are designated through the city council for the operations of the department.

The Center for Leash Law Enforcement is a private organization, funded completely by your's truly.
Animal services in Los Angeles is aware of the existence of the center, and they have set guidelines as to how the center operates.
We have certain criteria we must follow, and should the need arise where we become limited as to what we can do in a particular case, we notify Animal Services to intervene.

Bob.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
My daughter and I were walking our dogs a couple of days ago. We were on a board walk that is near my house. My lab and daughter's sight hound mix were both on leash. A couple is walking toward us and their dog is off leash. Of course they say the dog is friendly. My daughter states that her dog isn't. They keep coming. I put my lab in between the two since she is so calm. They finally leash their dog and what does the dog do when it passes us? Lunges at both dogs.

Before you flame daughter's dog. They are working with her. She is young and full of herself. We know she has this issue which is why she is in training.

Please leash your dogs for everyone's safety.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
... Hunting dogs don't get leashed ...
But they're penned or otherwise secured when they aren't in the field. The hunting dogs I know are highly trained and obedient and are not family pets. Companion dogs are not at all the same thing as working dogs.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I think I like what the lady was initially doing. Although you are possibly correct legally (I can only assume you are factually correct about the law), it seems to me that the incident could have been avoided had you just kept on your merry way. Your macho, self aggrandizement of your credentials leaves me ... whelmed and happy that we shall never cross paths. By the way, do you call 911 every time someone violates a traffic law?

El Nox
People like you are part of the problem. There is a leash law for a reason. I don't need, nor want, your dogs coming up to mine, I don't give a damn how "friendly" they are. Keep your dog on a leash unless you are in a designated area for off leash pets. Your attitude, and those who share your attitude, shows me that you're not a good dog owner. You don't understand jack squat about dogs.

By the way, I love all the internet hardasses. "Come to my state and say that to my face!" If I'm in your state, and you act like that, you bet I will. When you put my dog in jeopardy because of YOUR stupidity, I'm going bat spit crazy on you. Don't you DARE even threaten, by idiocy, my dog's life or well being. You think the OP was mean? You will see fierce from me if you act like that dumb woman in the original post, I don't give two flying fig newtons who you are. I've dealt with far worse people than you.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-25-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 07:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Um, as long as my dog is on my property, no he does not need to be leashed. Change your route if this is really a concern.

I'm not saying that dogs don't run out of their yards, but what someone is doing on their own property is none of your business. You can politely ask that they get a hold of their dog because your dog is nervous around strange animals or whatever, but you can't tell them what to do while they're in their own yard.

You may want to stick to public parks for your walks.
If your dog STAYS on your property without a leash, then who cares. However, many times dogs will be on their property, no leash, no tie out, no fence, no PERSON around, and the dog leaves that property to come after other people with dogs. If your dog does that to mine, (and it has happened), you are NOT in the right. I have just as much right to walk my dog on a public sidewalk as anyone else.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Something similar happened to my husband last week. He works nights and when he gets home from work he always takes our 9 mo. old puppy out for a short stroll, leashed of course. On this night my neighbor was sitting in the back of our condo complex with her 3 year old dog. It was dark, her dog was in protective mode that late and came running at my husband and dog barking his head off, scared my husband and dog half to death but thankfully they reached the back door and got inside just as the dog got to our door barking. Now her dog is usually very well behaved but he would not listen to his owner calling him back. Not his fault, totally the owners fault and thankfully no one was hurt and she learned a valuable lesson. Leash laws should be obeyed, if this dog had attacked my husband it would have been on her conscious and her dog would have suffered for her neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs