Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end with poor puppy! She is a year old, and still isn't trained. We take her for regular walks, reward her when she goes outside, but she STILL is going inside. She has completely ruined the carpets.

She won't go in her crate anymore, she has a huge anxiety attack. I have tried to keep her in my office, but she starts barking while I am talking to clients.

We are taking her again to training classes, which have helped her behavior. She was play nipping at my daughter and the trainer suggested a squirt bottle. I thought this was completely awful on our part, but my daughter squirted puppy twice and she hasn't tried to nip at her since.

Seeing this happen I wonder since there are no negative consequences for the dog going inside the house, should there be? She doesn't know it is wrong since in today's training world, you only reward positive behavior.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM

482 posts, read 874,912 times
What breed of dog is this? That will help us with some solutions.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM

She is a miniature poodle. She is very smart when she wants to be. For example when she starts to nip at my hands to play I'll say "go get a toy". She goes to her basket, picks one out to play.

When I take her for a walk and she does her business, she automatically turns to me for a treat. She knows all her commands, but only obeys them when she feels like it.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
She is a miniature poodle. She is very smart when she wants to be. For example when she starts to nip at my hands to play I'll say "go get a toy". She goes to her basket, picks one out to play.

When I take her for a walk and she does her business, she automatically turns to me for a treat. She knows all her commands, but only obeys them when she feels like it.
This is why I think giving FOOD in exchange for potty is ridiculous. (not directed at YOU, someone obviously told you to do so).

And NO, the opposite of this human-logic invented "positive reinforcement" is NOT negative reinforcement or being mean or whatever.

You don't see dogs giving food to other dogs for "rewards". But they all have a pack hierarchy and know how to "behave". They also don't use SQUIRT BOTTLES. LOL

Your dog is possibly faking it for the treat. I'm a pet sitter and my clients have shown me their dogs doing so.

I say she needs LOTS more exercise LONG WALKS. She has too much energy and is bored, with the dominant nipping. She's trying to ENGAGE you like she would another dog, or get "her way" which is likely simply releasing ENERGY.

It's ALWAYS HUMANS that need training. The DOG knows what he's doing or needs but can't express it.

I have to go to work but others will respond with the "tried and true" thread here somewhere with housetraining techniques.

She can only GO SO MUCH.

So she's NOT really going as you think she is.

There are alot of red flags here. Anxiety. Crate aversion etc. Not balanced. WHY does she have to go in her crate when you are home? Rhetorical question.

BB later.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks runwithscissors, she doesn't go in her crate anymore. Hasn't for a long time, or I would revert back to crate training her.

She definitely needs more exercise, but REFUSES to go on long walks. We have a great walking path near our house. I start walking with her and she stops, sits and will not budge. I have tried coaxing her, throwing treats in front of her to get her to move, she won't do it.

She will only walk around the block, so we go several times a day, but I know that is not nearly enough for her.

I know she knows what she needs, I need to learn how to help her communicate it to me!! I had dogs growing up, but she is my first puppy I am training. I am going to training classes, but obviously they aren't working (second time around). I know it is definitely my fault she is behaving this way, so I greatly appreciate any suggestions/help!

Old 02-10-2014, 02:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Every accident in the house should be interrupted. Constant supervision is in order here. Every time she squats to pee immediately pick her up and take her out to finish. If every single accident is interrupted, and every single successful outdoor potty is rewarded, it becomes quite clear to the dog. The problem is when accidents go unnoticed. When that happens, your pup is effectively being rewarded for peeing in the house (it's called "relieving" oneself for a reason - she feels better after she goes). Be careful not to make your interruptions intimidating - that would only teach her to pee when you're not looking. How have you addressed the scent issue from all of her past accidents? You might want to use baby gates to restrict her access to certain areas in the house. There is no reason an un- potty trained dog needs to have unrestricted access to the entire house.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Every accident in the house should be interrupted. Constant supervision is in order here. Every time she squats to pee immediately pick her up and take her out to finish. If every single accident is interrupted, and every single successful outdoor potty is rewarded, it becomes quite clear to the dog. The problem is when accidents go unnoticed. When that happens, your pup is effectively being rewarded for peeing in the house (it's called "relieving" oneself for a reason - she feels better after she goes). Be careful not to make your interruptions intimidating - that would only teach her to pee when you're not looking. How have you addressed the scent issue from all of her past accidents? You might want to use baby gates to restrict her access to certain areas in the house. There is no reason an un- potty trained dog needs to have unrestricted access to the entire house.
Thanks, we do need to address the scent with something. We clean the carpets with a shampoo cleaner weekly, but I doubt the scent is coming out. The problem is I work from home so it makes it really challenging to watch her. I tried having her in my office, but she barks (another issue).

I know this is probably something that can't be answere, but do you think she could be trained in a week? I could take a week off and keep her tied to me. I know she is as frustrated as I am

Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I agree w/ restricting her access - close the bedroom doors so she cant get into them to 'go' - baby gates are a good idea too (we got ours at garage sales, they were used but in great condition - we spent a lot of time in the kitchen (easy cleanup) when ours were young - she's gotta be giving you signals, no matter how subtle they are - take her out when she wakes up, after she eats, when she starts circling etc - keep her in the same room w/ you and keep a close eye on her. Would also stay outside w/ her when she's out there, keep her on a leash, she's out there to 'go', not to play, she can play later.

I do feel treats helped reinforce the idea that they were to go outside and do something, we'd give them to them when they 'went', it's a little motivational reward that they loved and I think it did help somewhat - later the treats can be lessened but we still give them a small treat when they come in the house - we know we dont have to but it's a habit and it just makes them happy and in turn, we're happy to see them happy (and we have a lot of small healthy treats, lol).

Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks all! Unfortunately the house doesn't have an area we can block off it is a very open floor plan. I think the best thing is just deal with her barking while working. Still open to other suggestions!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM

So an update, today was wonderful! Kept her on my office, she scratched me when she needed to go outside. Hopefully this is a corner turned. Definitely keeping her in our site is making a big difference. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs