Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,062,085 times

Advertisements

I don't get the problem....you can't go home & check on him in that 30 minute break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,508,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I don't get the problem....you can't go home & check on him in that 30 minute break?
Parking is the issue. I live in a major tourist town and this complex is jammed packed with cars. I have a hard time driving to the super market IN the shopping complex, ordering food, and coming back to find a parking spot and eating my lunch in 30 minutes. So I have no clue how I could check on him.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Train your dog and it should be fine for 6 hours.
Whenever I had the urge to get a dog I thought about this kind of stuff, but I guess most people don't? My solution was to have a cat instead.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Train your dog and it should be fine for 6 hours.
Whenever I had the urge to get a dog I thought about this kind of stuff, but I guess most people don't? My solution was to have a cat instead.
Oh I love cats but very allergic to them.

We got a dog instead because with my husband not being home much, I was getting very lonely and he has filled that void. So now I'm really attached to him to the point I can't stand to leave him home alone for too long even though I know he would be fine.

So if my shift was 3:30pm - 9-30pm, would that be really late feeding him if I fed him after my shift ended? Maybe feed him at 9am?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,039,843 times
Your dog will be fine. I have a total Velcro dog and she is fine when I go to work. Try leaving your dog to roam the house or bedroom for an hour while you are gone. Then move onto longer times if all goes well. Don't let your dog see how nervous and upset you are leaving him alone. I understand your fears. The minute I get off work all I can think about is getting home to let my dogs out and if I work late I get really concerned my husband not so much. Just calm down and it will all work itself out.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That dog is going to wind up with severe anxiety issues of his own if you don't calm down and start acting like a pack leader and not a coddling grandmother.

this times 100%....while I too love to socialize my dogs, they also need to learn to be home alone, in a crate, without have a hissy fit.

This puppy, which you admit you've spoiled, needs to be retrained and the sooner the better. On second thought, you too need retraining! I suggest you read some Cesar and learn to be the pack leader not the pack pansy or this dog will walk (and more) all over you.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
this times 100%....while I too love to socialize my dogs, they also need to learn to be home alone, in a crate, without have a hissy fit.

This puppy, which you admit you've spoiled, needs to be retrained and the sooner the better. On second thought, you too need retraining! I suggest you read some Cesar and learn to be the pack leader not the pack pansy or this dog will walk (and more) all over you.
He's fine in the crate. Never has had in issue. He just always wanted to sleep in the same room as me.

Could I start to train him being outside the crate by letting him be in small rooms?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,400,481 times
Use the crate if he has separation anxiety or just leave him loose. My Catahoula wants to be near me pretty much all the time unless I'm being "still" for too long. He jsut goes down and sleeps on my bed.

Relax. 6 hours is nothing. I have left my dogs for 12 hours in a pinch many times and they have been just fine.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That dog is going to wind up with severe anxiety issues of his own if you don't calm down and start acting like a pack leader and not a coddling grandmother.
Excellent. Best advice ever.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Excellent. Best advice ever.
I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs