Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,734 times

Advertisements

I plan to breed her and she came from AKC Registered sire and dam. Sire is Anzor Baron von der Rich van Haitzma and dam is Shawnzi von der Rich. How do I know what names to add to her full AKC name? We are calling her Shelby because she's fast like the Shelby Cobra Mustang. The breeder didn't really have a name picked out, said it was up to us. Are we to put her name as Shelby von der (our last name)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
You can name your dog anything you like. She does not come from a breeder with a registered kennel name. You're free to pick what ever name you like. The registration form will tell you how many spaces you can use and if you like a longer name you can pay for more letters/spaces.

Thus, choose or make up any name you like or think suitable.

However I would think long and hard about breeding this dog. AKC registered is not a connotation of quality. It just means that the dog's parents were registered and so on.

In your case, you have a dog from what appears to be back yard breeders. The parents are not titled in any way nor are any of the dogs behind them for many generations. There are no show or working titles there.

More importantly, there are no breed health certifications on the parents. Click on this link. These are the health tests suggested by the Parent club. Your dogs parents have none of them.

Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Then click on this link

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Input the names of your dogs parents and you'll see nothing come up. Reputable breeders health test their dogs and file the health tests on record. Reputable breeders either show their dogs or compete them in competitions of some sort. Both endeavors are a test of quality. Some breeders title and test and breed to improve the breed. Some just breed any two dogs together and sell them to make money without caring what they are producing.

Good luck with your new puppy. I'm sure she's very cute. But learn, learn, learn and research about the breed.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You can name your dog anything you like. She does not come from a breeder with a registered kennel name. You're free to pick what ever name you like. The registration form will tell you how many spaces you can use and if you like a longer name you can pay for more letters/spaces.

Thus, choose or make up any name you like or think suitable.

However I would think long and hard about breeding this dog. AKC registered is not a connotation of quality. It just means that the dog's parents were registered and so on.

In your case, you have a dog from what appears to be back yard breeders. The parents are not titled in any way nor are any of the dogs behind them for many generations. There are no show or working titles there.

More importantly, there are no breed health certifications on the parents. Click on this link. These are the health tests suggested by the Parent club. Your dogs parents have none of them.

Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Then click on this link

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Input the names of your dogs parents and you'll see nothing come up. Reputable breeders health test their dogs and file the health tests on record. Reputable breeders either show their dogs or compete them in competitions of some sort. Both endeavors are a test of quality. Some breeders title and test and breed to improve the breed. Some just breed any two dogs together and sell them to make money without caring what they are producing.

Good luck with your new puppy. I'm sure she's very cute. But learn, learn, learn and research about the breed.
Wow. You're making a lot of judgments about the OP's dog's sire and dam based on little (or no) information. The fact that these dogs weren't shown doesn't mean the puppy came from backyard breeders. All it means is that the parents weren't shown in dog shows. Period. Show quality dogs often aren't shown at all. Furthermore, it is possible the breeders did some sort of health testing and just didn't get around to inputting the results. Paper records are available to the new owners, in that case. There are a variety of health tests that can be performed on dogs, of course, depending on what the breed is prone to. As for OFA testing, the dogs have to be two years old in order to be x-rayed, so if they're younger, they can't be.

As for breeding your dog, I do agree with willow wind on this. Breeding is so much work, far more than people often imagine it to be. It's like having ten babies at once. And genetic defects can crop up that inexperienced breeders aren't even aware of. My deaf Great Dane is the result of incorrect breeding of a merle Great Dane. Deafness is carried on the merle gene, and breeding this color can cause both blindness and deafness in the breed, something I did not know when I purchased her. Thus, if you breed, it is important to know your breed inside and out. And any profits you make are small, if nonexistent. So never go into breeding with the intent of making money, because that probably won't happen. Even if it does, you can make money a lot easier doing many other things. So I suggest you really think long and hard before you get into it.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Reputable breeders do not breed dogs until they are old enough to complete the necessary health tests. Reputable breeders register their health tests. They want people to know these tests have been done and passed. Reputable breeders will not breed to dogs with unknown test status. Forget the " we had it done but never filed it". That's nonsense. I've been competing in dog shows and field trials/ hunt tests for forty years. The excuses are exactly that, excuses for not doing it or for dogs with failed results.

True, some showable dogs do not make it into the show ring, some are still showing and not yet finished. However, when you look at a pedigree of a breed with many different types of competition available to it, they should be in the minority. When there are generations of nothing in a breed that has many venues and types of competition such as the breed in question, that is telling us something about the quality.

A dog does not to be show quality to be a wonderful pet. Great pets for sure don't even need to be purebred. A Heinz 57 from the pound is just fine. There is a difference though between being a nice pet and being worthy of passing on the genes that makes a dog representative of its breed in all aspects. If one is going to breed a purebred dog then it should be done as well as possible.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Themar View Post
I plan to breed her and she came from AKC Registered sire and dam. Sire is Anzor Baron von der Rich van Haitzma and dam is Shawnzi von der Rich. How do I know what names to add to her full AKC name? We are calling her Shelby because she's fast like the Shelby Cobra Mustang. The breeder didn't really have a name picked out, said it was up to us. Are we to put her name as Shelby von der (our last name)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Why do you want to breed her? Is she the product of a long line of lovingly and carefully bred dogs who have proven their working abilities, obedience skills, conformation, or all three? Have you seen proof that her parents have the health clearances appropriate to her breed? Most responsible breeders would not sell a potential brood b*tch without at least insisting that you use their kennel name in naming the pup.

Please think carefully about your future plans to breed your puppy. Don't do it unless you are willing and able to be responsible for all the puppies you breed throughout their lives; so that if any of the buyers cannot keep the dog, you will take the dog back - and insist on it in a contract when you sell each puppy. Don't breed your new dog before at least the age of two years; that's probably two or three heat cycles during which she must be properly managed. Whelping and rearing puppies responsibly is expensive, exhausting, arduous, and can be heartbreaking if you lose some or all of them.

You do not have to breed your puppy in the future; she will never miss having puppies. There are way too many irresponsibly/casually/poorly bred dogs in the world already.

Regarding the dog's name; is "von der Rich" the breeder's kennel name? Perhaps you could combine a name with it - Baroness Shelby von der Rich.

Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Call the dog Rover. It's just a dog. An AKC pedigree just means it has been inbred and probably has poor temperament and esoteric genetic flaws.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Reputable breeders do not breed dogs until they are old enough to complete the necessary health tests. Reputable breeders register their health tests. They want people to know these tests have been done and passed. Reputable breeders will not breed to dogs with unknown test status. Forget the " we had it done but never filed it". That's nonsense. I've been competing in dog shows and field trials/ hunt tests for forty years. The excuses are exactly that, excuses for not doing it or for dogs with failed results.

True, some showable dogs do not make it into the show ring, some are still showing and not yet finished. However, when you look at a pedigree of a breed with many different types of competition available to it, they should be in the minority. When there are generations of nothing in a breed that has many venues and types of competition such as the breed in question, that is telling us something about the quality.

A dog does not to be show quality to be a wonderful pet. Great pets for sure don't even need to be purebred. A Heinz 57 from the pound is just fine. There is a difference though between being a nice pet and being worthy of passing on the genes that makes a dog representative of its breed in all aspects. If one is going to breed a purebred dog then it should be done as well as possible.
Goody for you. And what a snobby attitude you have, so typical of people who show. The difference between a dog who is show quality but doesn't show and a dog who is actively showing is nil. The difference between a dog who is not show quality but healthy is nil as well. Looks don't matter in a dog, as long as the structure and health is sound. I have a beautiful harlequin Great Dane who is not show quality. She wouldn't become a champion because why? She has spots on her neck, and a truly winning harlequin Great Dane has a white neck. Also, I REFUSE to crop her ears, and it is very difficult for Danes to win in the show ring without cropped ears. I find cropping a dog's ears cruel. How does having a spooted neck/uncropped ears affect her health? Not a whit. How does that affect her ability to be a great pet? Once again, zip.

Many people cannot afford show quality pups. They often cost upwards of $2000. And since you say you breed show dogs, you would know that you can't tell if a puppy is show quality until they grow up. Many of them end losing that promising physique. Besides, OP only wants to know how to name her puppy, not your opinion about how the puppy she already owns was a bad decision. To OP, my suggestion is to choose a unique name with several words. The AKC has millions of dogs on registry, and they will kick back a name you choose that is identical to someone else's.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
a GOOD breeder would require their kennel name on the pups pedigree (and would register the puppy before sale typically based on their kennel name and the call name given by the buyer)

so forgetting ALL the other stuff (of which I completely agree with willow) if this pup came form a truly worthwhile breeder this wouldn't be an actual question as the paperwork would have been taken care of by the breeder.

any pup ive ever sold with breeding rights (none limited papers) goes home with MY kennel name on that registration paperwork...if im proud enough to let someone else continue the line, I want my name on that line...

people shouldn't be breeding dogs too young to health test...
all showing issues aside...
if your breeder tells you "oh I have the results I just haven't posted them yet" its likely a lie...especially since most of these databases are now automated and updated online the dy the results are sent back to the breeder (and why would a breeder choose not to publish those results if they are proud?)
if your breeder tells you "oh shes too young" then WHY are there puppies on the ground from that dog, why would ANYONE breeding for the betterement of their breed be breeding a dog under 2 years old?! ect

I personally don't think the confo ring is a must for a good breeder...
but anyone making excuses as to why their supposedly tested dogs results arnt listed...or breeding dogs who are too young or have otherwise made excuses as to why they don't want/need them health tested, is not someone id personally trust to be buying breeding stock from.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Themar View Post

Did the parents have schutzhund titles? Did they have their German breed survey and conformation rating? Did OFA or Penn Hip provide hip ratings or did they get an A stamp on their hips from Germany? Are their lines clear for degenerative myelopathy? Just because her parents were AKC registered doesn't mean she should be bred.

There are many GSDs out there from German lines from people who do all of the above. It's also not easy to find good homes for GSDs as they are sometimes listed as a "dangerous breed" by insurance companies and apartments and there are more homes for little dogs than big dogs.

Why do you want to breed her? Are you going to train her and get the appropriate health screenings (above) before she's bred?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
German Shepherd?

Maybe the OP just didn't write down the titles or health screening.

OP, German Shepherd, before breeding, you need hips certified, elbows certified, eyes OFA, thyroid normal, Von Willdebrands testing. Dont expect to be able to sell puppies without it on both parents. Same for Rotts or German pointers.

Show titles are not the end all for dogs. There are performance lines that are perfectly valid and worthy of being bred. Many of the German breeds have both show and performance lines. Both have value. Names sound like Schutzhund lines, perfectly valid performance dogs are available in Schutzhund lines.

There is nowhere near enough information given by OP to tell whether or not her dog is worthy of being bred. OP, get the health screening done and maybe have a breed expect evaluate the dog for you. Some one who knows the breed can make pedigree suggestions about what lines will cross well with your dog.

Shelby von der (our last name) would be a perfectly fine name. It has to be a name that has not been used before and you will need a second choice name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs