Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

For years I've been telling my husband (won't call him DH in this case) that yelling at the dogs when they bark is a waste of time and doing more harm than good. I've told him they think he is barking too and we should find a better way. But noooooooo...what do I know. After all I've only read umpteen books and watched umpteen videos and TV shows about training dogs. Without all of us getting on board I knew anything I did would be useless.

So I read on CD about a local trainer who would come to the house for $90 for 1-1/4 hour. I sat everybody down and told them this lady was experienced and we would do what she said and all of us would participate in the session and subsequent training.

So she came and i was very impressed when she said "When you yell at the dogs they think you are barking too and that simply encourages them to keep it up" SCORE....One for my team!

By the time she left both Toby and Lucy were sitting down for treats, coming when their name was called and not barking so much when somebody came to the door. We had each daughter put on a hat and coat and knock on the door(glass) while we quietly called them to us and gently said their names instead of shouting at the top of our lungs TOBY/LUCY.

I think there is hope for us. But I still have more training to do with my husband on lots of other things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
There is only hope if you are consistent and everyone continues with this. Once you slack off and allow them to bark you'll undo much of what you've accomplished to this point.

My neighbor tells me you can't stop a dog from barking when I complain about his 165 lb Great Dane barking for hours in the backyard at all hours of the day and night. I then say "have you heard my two dogs barking in the backyard?" and he says "I didn't know you had dogs". I then simply say "see, you can stop dogs from barking" and he gets upset and tells me I need to get used to his dog barking because "that's what dogs do". That is what untrained dogs do but he doesn't listen.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,284 times
NK...yes, you are correct, and yes everyone has to be on board with the current training or it will go out the window. *sigh*

Being consistent is the key...but then you already know that...LOL

Old 12-14-2014, 12:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,754 times
Who and where is this trainer?
Thank you!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
she is here in Chapel Hill, N.C. if I can find her name I will PM you but I doubt she would be of much use to anybody outside the area.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,665 times
good work! sometimes hearing things from an unrelated person....... and we all know husbands love to listen to us.

good luck with the human training process. Usually more difficult then the canine training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs