Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 09:47 AM

231 posts, read 334,952 times

Advertisements

I think I have an anatolian shepherd mix. I don't know what she is 100% but I was told at the shelter that she is likely an anatolian shepherd and she seems to fit the characteristics of one. She is 12 years old and independent and stubborn but at the same time, she is gentle and likes people and is tolerant of children. She is less tolerant with large dogs but has never bitten a dog in her life. She was also bitten by a yorkie but she didn't mind. I recently decided that I wanted to get a second dog but it has to be a dog that does not try to play with my dog as my dog does not like to play at all.

I researched about shiba inus and they seem just like my dog in that they are stubborn and independent. Stubbornness is something I can handle as my dog is also the same way but independence is something that I have grown to like in a dog. If a dog is independent, I am hoping that she won't be bothering my dog. Is this correct or am I wrong? Also since she is small and my dog is huge, my dog won't mind so much.

I am thinking about getting a puppy from a breeder and letting the puppy grow up with my dog. I will take the puppy for classes and teach her that playing with other dogs are good but just not her big sis. I also work at home but I do not leave my dog at home when I am out. She goes to my mother's house 5 mins away so she will never be alone with the puppy.

Would this be a good match or will two stubborn, independent dogs not get along or will they just co-exist and not bother each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,367 times
All dogs are individuals with different likes/dislikes, temperaments, and tolerances; no way to make a blanket statement about whether one dog (breed) will like another dog (breed). It depends on the dog/s, the introduction, and how they are managed whether they will like and/or tolerate each other.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the response. My problem is that there are no breeders close by so there is no way I can take my older dog on a 3 hour ride to meet a puppy to see if they will get along.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 PM

A puppy might be a little much for your older dog. Why not adopt a nice mellow older dog from a shelter or rescue?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM

I am considering that too and I have looked but haven't found a mellow one yet that gets along with other dogs. Also, I have one senior dog and another senior dog is too much for me personally as my current dog is my first dog that I have owned. But I am checking local shelter websites daily.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I am considering that too and I have looked but haven't found a mellow one yet that gets along with other dogs. Also, I have one senior dog and another senior dog is too much for me personally as my current dog is my first dog that I have owned. But I am checking local shelter websites daily.
It may take awhile to find a dog that is a good fit for your girl. I know you don't want another senior dog, but maybe look for a younger male dog between 3-7 years old. I know you said she doesn't like to play, but try not to get invested in that mind set; let her make those calls. If she doesn't want to play she will let the other dog know and they will work out their own rhythm to the relationship.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:51 PM

Thank you for your insight. I should let my dog decide whether she wants to play but I am usually overprotective of her because I don't know how to read other dogs' body languages. I did go to a shelter today and we met a smaller dog who was so nervous (not because of my dog) but my dog was okay with her so I think a small dog would be a good fit. The other dog was female and I read that mix sexes get along better but I never raised a male dog so I might be more comfortable with another female dog. The other dog is almost adopted by another person but if it falls through, I might be able to adopt her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs