Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

My weim just ate the cannolli and the plastic wrap that was on top of it.

How worried should I be? I know it can be bad but wondered if anyone had any experience with something like this.

I had pushed the bowl back but she managed to get to it.. dang it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Keep an eye out. If the dog does not pass the plastic tomorrow get thee to your vet.

My last dog stole a whole turkey, and the roasting bag it cooked in. She didn't even have the decency to get sick to her stomach, and she passed the bag the next morning.

*sighs* Nice to know I don't have the only thieving dogs on the planet.

Signs of blockage include loss of appetite and vomiting.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Yeah.. I sure thought it was out of her reach..
She has swallowed small rawhide bones among other things. I try to be careful because she will swallow things most dogs would at least chew a little..

I will call the vet tomorrow morning if she doesn't pass it tomorrow. I am lucky the vets are really good about not wanting to do unnecessary things.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
My weim just ate the cannolli and the plastic wrap that was on top of it.

How worried should I be? I know it can be bad but wondered if anyone had any experience with something like this.

I had pushed the bowl back but she managed to get to it.. dang it..

I would monitor her and in the morning, call your vet ASAP.
Just to make sure and be on the safe side.

My vet gave me two numbers for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center...they exist for emergencies, obviously, along with peace of mind in a scary situation.
They do charge a consultation fee...but for my peace of mind, it was more than worth it.

They know everything from A to Z as far as poisonous things, and to assess symptoms in an emergency situation the dog may be experiencing, etc.
1-888-426-4435 or 1-800-548-2423

ASPCA: Animal Poison Control Center

I called them not that long ago about a situation one of my dogs got into.
My Abby, ate about 4 SOS pads ...she figured out a way to get the cabinet doors under the sink open ...and that's where the SOS pads were located.
She's too smart for her britches!

The advice they gave me was to wait and monitor her for the next 24hrs.
They would normally advise a small amount of peroxide, but since what she swallowed was made out of steel wool, it was not advisable
for her to regurgitate the pads back up (which is what the peroxide would have done). It would probably cause more damage.
So it was basically a waiting game...

I did follow up with my vet and it took a few days for her to evacuate her bowels of all the pads.

Oh, and I now have kiddie locks on EVERYTHING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I'm amazed by what comes out my dog's other end sometimes, a popsicle stick, coins. Try feeding pumpkin to help push the wrap through.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
I don't have any suggestion. Are you sure that your dog ate the plastic wrap? My GSD stole a bag of treats several months ago. I went into a panic mode and was preparing to call an emergency vet office. I went to turn on my computer to look for the phone number. I found the plastic bag behind my computer. It is obvious that my GSD stole the bag of treats from our kitchen cabinet, ate the treats and hid the bag in my office. When I picked up the bag and waved in front her, she run into her crate and fliped her belly up so I can't be mad at her. My husband can’t stop laughing. We are still very amazed about the event.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm amazed by what comes out my dog's other end sometimes, a popsicle stick, coins. Try feeding pumpkin to help push the wrap through.
.......bits of compact discs, pieces of Kongs, pages of books.......I've seen some colorful ones too !

Last edited by riveree; 10-22-2007 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
You could have induced vomiting to be on the safe side. Better and less expensive then a blockage. It is likely that your dog will pass it though. I've seen dogs pass many things, socks, leashes, rags, cotton, ect. My dogs ate a Slimjim plastic and all. Swiped it off my desk. She was fine. Just make sure she keeps her appetite. Check the poo to see when/if its passed. Watch for vomiting and dehydration. Those are signs of a blockage, the early signs.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 AM

Thanks to all for the advice.. I was panicking when I realize what she had done. I live in a small town so I wasn't sure what to do..

Good news is she threw up the plastic wrap this morning.. I was so mad at myself as I thought about her doing just that but instead of putting it away, I pushed it what I thought would be far enough back for a few minutes..

Thanks again for your advice..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
My mastiffs have a passion for socks and have eaten about 2 dozen. I panic every time we come up missing one sock and we try very hard to not leave them around. I swear they pluck them off of our son during the night. They pass them, but we are on alert until they show up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs