Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,762 times

Advertisements

I got a dog from the pund today, that is the most depressing place I have ever been. But I don't think I could buy from a breeder again now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,384,528 times
I completely agree. After I'd seen one, I started buying an extra bag of dog food when I get one for mine, then drop it off there so the dogs might get a tasty meal and be kept around a little longer. Also, the pound lets people walk their dogs. I get a big one, as they don't get much attention and really love getting out for awhile. Try it. Have actually done it on a first date.

Last edited by ESFP; 02-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
My wife and I breed bloodhounds but do rescue and foster also. New business she started is a franchise and into helping non profits. Well I went to local shelters and made a deal with them. We are doing a adopt-a-pet and get a free tax preperation. Lady said doing that was enough incentive to help home half the animals they have. I said as long as go to good loving forever homes and they did background checks well worth it.I did this with 3 county shelters and this spring when warms up we plan on having a ADOPT-A -THON
and have them come do doggie baths also to earn extra money for them.

Worst part doing this is had my 5 year old with me and he kept saying Dad let's go.Asked why he just said if I pet one I will have to take it home.
Kids and their comments but at least he is honest and a true animal lover.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:42 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I do think the Internet and petfinder and shelter/pound websites have helped get a lot of dogs adopted. I also felt I could never walk into a shelter, but I am able to "shop" online and then go and get the animal that I want. I try to remember, at least they're not being abused, starving, suffering, frightened, cold, even if they sadly must be put down for lack of a home.
I am so happy to hear of adoptions! Everybody wins. Dog gets a loving home, people get a good dog and ease some suffering and take away some of the sadness that shelter workers must feel.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
We really don't have pounds here. They never seem to have many dogs so we had to get our dog from a rescue. I suppose more built up areas have more shelters/pounds.

I agree it's very sad. I wish they all had homes.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Pounds/shelters are incredibly sad places. What's even sadder is that for many dogs, it's the best place they've ever known. Pedigree is doing a matching thing for rescues - I think it must have started out as a marketing gimmick, but when it comes to helping dogs, a dollar is a dollar, no matter where it comes from or why. Check out their website. There are also a number of programs where dogs are rehabilitated and trained by prison inmates. Most of these are to give 'unadoptable' dogs a second chance, and they are well-socialized and obedience-trained when they 'graduate' and get their own home. A couple prisons start the training for service dogs, seeing eye and others. In the vast majority of cases, the inmates who do the training, if they are released, become productive citizens with a very low recidivism rate. Good all around. A number of years ago, there was a similar program for training wild horses, but I haven't heard or read anything about that for a long time. It's too bad more prisons aren't doing more programs like that, once someone learns enough self-discipline to train a dog, it carries over into the rest of their life, as well.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
I agree, I can't walk into the pound unless I am taking a dog home that day - there's no way I could walk out without one (so I don't visit).

Even viewing them online makes me start to cry.

I'm glad one went home with you, JustinFromBoise! Hopefully we'll see some pics soon!

****Just saw the pics of Jack Black......aw, he looks like a really sweet boy!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I agree..I just want to go in and take them all home.

I saw on the news here the other day, a pound was shipping dogs up to NY because they have been so effective in spaying/neutering their dogs that they don't have dogs to adopt out.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
no dogs to adopt out wouldn't this be great to have in our areas.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
At our animal shelter, they don't allow you to go in to see the actual dogs - the people who run the shelter say it stresses the dogs out. You have to look on their polaroid board, pick one and they bring it out to you. Which we are not thrilled about.

Or you can look online at petfinder - which we do. Unfortunately 98% of their dogs are pit bulls or pit bull mixes - which we don't want.

We bring regular donations to our local shelter for kitties and doggies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs