Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

I've heard that they do. I have been to friends' homes and their dogs make a beeline for me. My friends tell me their dogs are quicker to "interact" with me than other guests they've had. I've heard it's in the "pheromones," a nebulous term to me. So, is the "dog person" concept a tangible one for our four legged friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Yes I think so! My Eng Sprigler Spainel was more judgemental of people and as it turned out, she was right. I paid attention to her reactions of people coming inside my home.
Now my Goldens, another story!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
I think they can tell, so they make a beeline for those who arent dog lovers just to mess with them. All my dogs will go straight for my SIL. She is not a dog lover. She will shoo-shoo git, but they keep comming back. Maybe they are trying to convert her.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I always thought of myself as a dog-person. I like just about every dog I have ever met and they seem to like me to - until... I met my sister's Aussie. He has growled and snapped at me since he was a pup! I totally ignore him now and we "get along fine" as long as I never make any eye contact with him. Fortunately, he's the only critter who has ever responded to me like this or it would really, really hurt my feelings!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
Definately. We just had a house full of people the other night. Shelby barked and jumped at every single one of the non-dog people. My uncle walked in-he's a definate dog person with what I guess is that "alpha aura" because Shelby barked, he sshhsed her and she sat down waiting quietly to be pet. LOL.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I like just about every dog I have ever met and they seem to like me to - until... I met my sister's Aussie. He has growled and snapped at me since he was a pup! I totally ignore him now and we "get along fine" as long as I never make any eye contact with him.
Sad. That's what I had...an Australian Shepherd. She was skittish but once she got to know you and knew you were a family friend, she liked the attention. Outside of our household, in which all the offspring are male, she actually warmed up to women better.

I know of one male Aussie that was a "turd." He would probably have bitten me if my friends weren't around, but the female Aussie in their house was a sweetie. I think that dogs that are wired like the one you described don't warm up to ANYBODY.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sad. That's what I had...an Australian Shepherd. She was skittish but once she got to know you and knew you were a family friend, she liked the attention. Outside of our household, in which all the offspring are male, she actually warmed up to women better.

I know of one male Aussie that was a "turd." He would probably have bitten me if my friends weren't around, but the female Aussie in their house was a sweetie. I think that dogs that are wired like the one you described don't warm up to ANYBODY.
Thanks - I think you are right - this dog is a problem. Sadly, he has a handful of people (mostly women) that he treats this way and my sister just laughs it off. The whole situation has become an annoyance at family gatherings and it is hard for my sister to understand that I don't find it funny at all. Personally, I think the dog is untrustworthy and nuts!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Personally, I think there are several factors to consider.
First, how do YOU feel about the person your dog is meeting for the first time? If you don't like or are suspicious of the person, I think your dog will "read" that feeling and be leary of them, too.

Second, do you generally rely on your dog's perception or shush him when he growls at someone you consider to be a friend? Much of what a dog does is based on positive reinforcement from their owners. If all they get is negative feedback, they will keep their mouths shut.

Third, if you feel sorry for someone, I think your dog will read that feeling and go to the person - obviously they need a friend. This happened once when I was visiting my mother and had my dogs with me. A friend of hers came to the door and of course, the dogs barked. My mother didn't have any dogs. When I opened the door to see who it was, the frail lady advised me she was afraid of dogs and could't come it. I assured her that mine were very friendly but I recall that I felt sorry for someone going through life being afraid of all dogs. I held the dogs until she was in and seated, then let go. Of course, the first thing they did was go to her and lick her hand, tails wagging.

I always listen to my dog. I rely very heavily on their assessment of a situation and person. I may not have the luxury of acting on it right at the moment, but I generally never disregard a negative reaction my dog displays toward someone. I'll proceed with caution.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,962 times
My wife calls me "cinda****inrella" because "all animals love me". I don't buy it but if you put me in a room with a dog they tend to come to me or pay an inordinate amount of attention to me. They seem to ignore her even if she has a treat in her hand. Same with birds, the little birds we have around here will fly up and take a piece of bread from my hand. They act like her bread is poison. Even "hostile" cats like to climb on me, lick my neck, and then sleep on me.

I'd be willing to classify myself as a dog person but I'm not really an animal person and I'm certainly not a cat person. I keep thinking animals are attracted to my indifference toward them. My wife on the other hand loves animals but I can see why some of them avoid her. She kind of reminds me of the toddler with grape jelly all over its hands and is just way too excited to see them.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
I think that most dogs do have that sense. My old girl has only reacted negatively towards four people. All four turned out to be not so nice people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs