Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM

66 posts, read 149,532 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

I have an 11 year old Labrador who has been having coughing off an on since Aug. They did a chest x-ray at the vet then and the attending vet at the time said her heart had looked a bit "elongated" but she didn't feel the need to measure it at the time. Lungs looked good, and there was some irritation in her airway. They prescribed a steroid and the cough went away.
It came and went randomly not happening more than once every couple of weeks until about 3 weeks ago.
The cough is basically only at night, and occasionally if she gets very excited (barking at strange people / rabbits in the yard , etc)
She started coughing up a little piece or two of food as well. I switched food from chicken protein to a bison protein and things started to get a little better.
But then she had a horrible night so I made an appointment. She has also been panting in the middle of the night, starting a few weeks ago. Again not every night. Seems to be panting a lot more after just a short walks around the yard, and taking a lot longer to settle down after short periods of exercise.
They re-did the chest x-ray and we had a different vet this time, the full-time vet at the clinic we go to. He said not too much has change, and he did size her heart. She was an 11 on a scale of 1-10. He recommended we send out her blood for a proBNP test, which came back this morning at 1311. <900 normal

He is recommending a referral to get a echocardiogram, which I am going to call tomorrow and get scheduled hopefully this coming week as my manager is out for an out of town meeting the following week and I won't be able to take time away from work.

So i've done some reading online and of course I am left with a ton of questions, which I am sure most can't be answered until the echo is done.

I'm just not sure he called it heart disease, but when I google it says heart failure. Is that basically the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM

965 posts, read 939,614 times
Heart disease includes heart failure, and failure does have an end. It may be a good long time, or short and precious. Sounds like a plan to get the echo done next, then you should know much more time and/or further testing.
Here's hoping it is better news, sending good energy.
Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs