Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 06:18 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted a boston terrier/pug/? mix. She is 2 years old and weighs 23 pounds. According to the dog food bag, she should be fed 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food per day. I read somewhere that dog food companies inflate the actual amount of food needed so that we have to buy more dog food. If anyone can give me advice on how much Ruby should actually eat per day, I would really appreciate it! She's at a healthy weight, and I would hate to see her become overweight (or underweight for that matter). Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding guidelines-ruby-2011-007.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 AM

161 posts, read 563,536 times
generally, i do think that amounts suggested on dog food bags are a bit high. it also depends on the quality of the food - the higher quality (meaning less grain) the less they need. my boxer (65 pounds) eats 1 cup of kibble plus 1 can of wellness core twice a day. we also adjust it according to how active he is, he gets a little more when he has been playing hard all day. maybe someone who has a small dog like yours will chime in soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'd be shocked if she'd even be willing to eat that much food. My 55 lb dogs get maybe a cup and a quarter of dry, twice a day, and they don't always want it all. Give her whatever amount she'll eat for awhile, and check her weight once a week if you want, by weghing yourself and then picking her up and weighing both of you. If she's gaining then cut back a little.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
I have Shih Tzu's, my old one weighs 17#'s, is not overweight just stocky and big boned, think he has Lhaso in him. I feed him Science Diet he gets 1 tbs of moist food and 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day, that has been his diet since he was 1 year old.

One thing to keep in mind is that those recommendations are given with the thought that no other food or treats are given to the pet. Three small dog cookies given a day, can equal 1 meal. I very seldom give my dogs treats, however, other pet owners give them daily.

I have a friend that feeds her Shih Tzu raw carrots during the day, she can't understand why the dog weighs 22#'s. Well, carrots are very high in sugar, that's why. They also give him cookies plus two full meals a day. Her vet said due to the size/bone structure of this dog he should weigh no more than 14#'s.

I would start at the 1 1/2 cups per day and see where it goes. Keep a tab on her weight and adjust up or down from there.

Enjoy your new friend, she is a cutie!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
its not that the bag purposly lies....
its that the testing on dog food is done with KENNELD dogs...they are typically medium-large high energy breeds and of course being locked in a kennel is considered "high stress"
these dogs burn through more calories much quicker than a typical "pet"

and of course different brands havedifferent requirements...a dog eating premium food needs much LESS (which is why despite higher initial price premium foods are better value) to get the same amount of nutrients as a dog eating a sub quality food filled with fillers...

personally id go wiht a premium food (no corn, no fillers)...
start out by getting a good look at her, (and weigh her if possible), does she look a little overweight, is she in good body condition, hows her energy ect.
then start her on a cup to 1 1/2 cups of food a day, give it a few days and watch her closely...
hows her weight doing, whats her energy level like how about her coat condition ect...

assuming at 23lbs shes a healthy weight for her size if she starts to gain weight after a week, cut her back by 1/4 a cup, if she starts to loose weight, add 1/4 a cup...
continue this untill shes at and staying at her ideal weight and then keep that up but still watch her...you may find in the winter she needs a litle more food, in the summer a little less...ect.

like eople al are different, each has a general need level but the fine tuning is incredibly individual. i neve rput much stock into the bags ect, i just go by what i see in my animals and adjust as nessicary.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Thanks everyone! Great advice! Ruby has only been with us since last weekend, so I'm trying to figure things out with her. Right now I'm feeding her 1/2 cup of dry food with a tablespoon of wet mixed in twice a day. I give her 1 small treat per day. I'll keep tabs on her weight and go from there. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
My shih tzu is 3 years old and weighs 16 lbs. I feed her Orijen but i would like to know how many cups a day should i give her. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
That depends. How old is she? What is her current condition? Can you just feel her ribs and see her belly tuck up? If so she is likely at a good weight. If not, you will need to feed less and exercise more to get her into shape. At 16 lbs, she is at the high end of weight range for a shih tzu, so I suspect she may need to lose a pound or two.

Orijen feeding guidelines:
For a 22 lb dog they recommend between 1 c. to 1-1/4 c daily depending on exercise level. For your 16 lb dog, given good health and correct weight, I would probably feed between 3/4 c. to just under 1 c. a day depending on current weight, exercise level, and age. If she needs to lose a bit of weight, I would cut that amount back. It is healthier for a dog to be nice and lean rather than overweight.

http://www.orijen.ca/wp-content/uplo...EV-OCT2014.pdf

How to evaluate your dog's weight:
How to Evaluate Your Dog's Weight - For Dummies

Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,703 times
It depends on the quality of the food you are using. BTs/pugs do best on a low-fat food. The best way to decide how much to feed would be to ask your vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs