Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:06 PM

305 posts, read 331,552 times

Advertisements

He is a boxer almost 10. We are bringing him to the vet this weekend.
He seems to sort of tilt his head and has trouble leaning down to grab something from the floor. He yelps sometime when trying to. Also sometimes yelps before we even pet him. When I go over to kiss him he seems a bit shake like it hurts him. He seems a bit lethargic also. No loss of appetite though.
Possibly arthritis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,474,260 times
Several of my dogs (dobermans) have had CVI -- cervical vertical instability -- also known as wobblers. It's not uncommon in Boxers. Google boxer wobblers syndrome.

My last older doberman had it and her symptoms were just like your dog's in the beginning. As the condition worsened over time, her symptoms got much worse. My vet gave me several painkillers and anti-inflammatories to give her and also gave me injections of a prednisone-and-painkiller combination to give her at home when the condition flared up.

Good luck. I hope it's just a sprained neck muscle or something temporary like that and not wobblers.

Edited to add that, if any vet suggests an myelogram to diagnose wobblers, please dont do it. One my my most beloved dogs had an myelogram and the experience was enough to throw him into seizures from which he never recovered. I will always regret having that myelogram done.

Had I know then what I know now, I'd have just treated the pain and not let him jump out of the car or do any activities that would stress his neck. That's how I treated my last dog and she was able to live comfortably for years with the condition.

Last edited by TFW46; 09-27-2017 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM

I also notice he is laying down in strange places. On the floor behind a chair or table and he never does that. He will jump up on the couch or bed but then gets down and goes to those places when normally he would just stay on the bed or couch.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:57 AM

Any thoughts on why he is hiding in a way?

Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,010,072 times
He is in pain - from what, we don't know. But that much seems pretty straightforward. Sleeping or lying down in different places in an attempt to avoid the pain.

You need to figure out what is causing the pain. It could be a bad ear infections, sinus infection, a rotten or abcessed tooth, a muscle sprain, or maybe those "wobblers" referred to by TFW46. It could even be a tick having latched on near the spine - which can cause strange pain and partial temporary paralysis.

If you can't tell what is causing the pain, the vet should be able to help.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Why are you waiting until this weekend to take him to the vet? Why not take him right now?

Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,776,237 times
Take him to the vet now. He's in pain. IMO no need to make him suffer until the weekend. The hiding is due to the pain as is the laying down in odd places.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,126,923 times
I agree...him lying down in odd places is a sign of pain. Please don't wait.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,356,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Several of my dogs (dobermans) have had CVI -- cervical vertical instability -- also known as wobblers. It's not uncommon in Boxers. Google boxer wobblers syndrome.

My last older doberman had it and her symptoms were just like your dog's in the beginning. As the condition worsened over time, her symptoms got much worse. My vet gave me several painkillers and anti-inflammatories to give her and also gave me injections of a prednisone-and-painkiller combination to give her at home when the condition flared up.

Good luck. I hope it's just a sprained neck muscle or something temporary like that and not wobblers.

Edited to add that, if any vet suggests an myelogram to diagnose wobblers, please dont do it. One my my most beloved dogs had an myelogram and the experience was enough to throw him into seizures from which he never recovered. I will always regret having that myelogram done.

Had I know then what I know now, I'd have just treated the pain and not let him jump out of the car or do any activities that would stress his neck. That's how I treated my last dog and she was able to live comfortably for years with the condition.

Two of my Dobies have gone down from Wobblers as well. Really need an MRI to see the spine correctly. Had my done at Penn.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Two of my Dobies have gone down from Wobblers as well. Really need an MRI to see the spine correctly. Had my done at Penn.

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry about your dobes. I know that MRIs are currently the best imaging program for diagnosis, but I've been told that some places are still using terrible, horrible, not-so-good myelograms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs