Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to La Jolla in October and will be getting an English bulldog. If you have one, can you recommend a good breeder? We have been researching, but it's always better to get one by word of mouth. Also, do you find your dog to be playful? Some sites say they are lazy dogs, but the ones we have met were very playful. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM

28 posts, read 107,843 times
It's hard to believe no one on here is a bulldog owner.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I do not own an English Bulldog but would like to. I was told that when they are puppies and young dogs they are playful in spurts off and on daily up to a few years old, and then they settle down more after that. They get overheated very easily and that can be a serious danger for them.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Would go to the ENglish Bulldog Club of America and there s/b a breeders link there. THere's also some nice older bullies (in rescue) who need loving homes, I dont have either link handy (I'm not a bulldog owner) or I would post it but they can have breathing and hip problems so you want to go w/ a reputable breeder and get some kind of guarantee. You could also go to a dog show and see them in the showring - would talk to the breeders after they show and see what their bullies look like and if any of them have puppies or know of anyone who has puppies. French bulldogs are cute too, a bit more compact but still a good size, you might want to check them out if you get a chance. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
If you haven't owned a bully breed I will tell you they are different then other dogs. They are tenacious, smart, sensitive and sometimes stubborn. I would strongly suggest continuing to gather information by contacting people who own these dogs to find out what they are really like before owning one. There have to be some bull dog forums out there for you to tap into and learn first hand about these dogs. I know they can be difficult to find and are very expensive to buy from breeders. As the other poster said, you can find breed rescues with EBDs looking for homes. The rescues are also great resources for gathering knowledge. They know the benefits and the challenges of owning these dogs. Look on Petfinder.com and enter the breed name and you will find the rescues. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
bulldogdomain.com is a great place to go to get any info on bulldogs.

I have a female and had a male which we had to pts back in march. He was 12 years old. They are wonderful dogs, they are not lazy, we also have a shepherd and Rita, bulldog, loves going out and chasing the ball right along with the shepherd. She just can't do it for as many times as he does, they have this awsome personality, they have a way about them that you just can't help but not fall in love with them. I swear they can understand what you are saying. Great facial expressions. They are very smart but also very stubborn. Although very treat motivated so you can get them to do just about anything you want with food. I have to say on top of Rita or she tends to think she is in charge. Believe me when I say it's all about her. She is known as Princess Rita at the vets.

They can have a lot of health problems. They can't be out in the heat for to long, they have been known to die from heat exhaustion. Rita has had surgery on her eye twice, eye lashes were growing into the eye, also had cherry eye, has had knee surgery on both knees, another problem they can have is that the knees can blow out. She had surgery to remove some fat around her private area which was causing her to have infections. You have to keep the folds on the face clean or they can get infected also. The only problem our male had was problems with his skin.

Bulldogs make great pets. There is never a dull moment when there is a bulldog around. I have never laughed so hard with any other dog I have had except the bulldogs.

Good luck in your search. Your going to love having a bully. Here is my dogster page for Biker which has pics of Rita and Rugby.

Dog profile for Biker, a male German Shepherd

Last edited by dogpaw; 03-22-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 AM

36 posts, read 196,768 times
Thankfully you already know not to buy a dog from anywhere except a reputable breeder. NO PET STORES AND NO ON-LINE PUPPIES!

The best place to find a reputable breeder is the Bulldog Club of America (BCA). The Bulldog Club of America

The BCA will refer you to reputable breeders in your area. The will also refer you to the Bulldog Rescue if you are interested in adopting. Lastly, they have good info about what to look for in a puppy and breeder.

Secondly, the following website has wonderful information about bulldogs, buying a puppy, and has a listing of breeders in/near San Diego:

BulldogsWorld.com for the Bulldog in you! The Internet's Largest source for Bulldog information.

Best of luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
We have a 12week OEB (Old English Bulldogge), she is a joy! We always wanted an english bulldog but were skeptical about all the health issues. The OEB is suppose to be the best alternative to the real deal because they are very similar with out the health concerns. Aside from the health benefits the main difference is in the size and stature. The OEB is longer legged and taller with not as big of a head, all things I wish we could have. We found her online through a puppy for sale site and visited the breeder before deciding what to do. It was not a hobbiest that sold her to us, just someone who had two adults to breed one time only. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
Hi Noplace.Your dog is adorable but I want to fill you in.BackYardBreeders(BYB) are people who have no medical knowledge about dog breeding,do no DNA testing.Yes good breeders do that because they are for the betterement of the breed(the only ones who should be allowed to breed in my opinion,too many ******* are spitting out pups for profit,with no love of dogs,use the poor ***** every cycle)
I am not a breeder.
Perhaps these people who sold you the pup are genuinely only going to breed their dog one time,never the less they did wrong,perhaps innocently.
I have seen ******* in rescue with mammary tumours that would not have occurred if they had been spayed before their first heat.Same with male dogs and testicular cancer.
It is so sad the amount pf puppies for sale to over breeding and I have read only one third of dogs find a forever home.
Once the novelty of a puppy has worn off,out goes the dog.
Thousands are dogs are killed every day,some by inhumane ways,because they have been tossed out.
If not pups for profit,
many times the unaltered male has been allowed to roam and mated,with the result of unwanted pups,with tragic results.

Good luck with your Puppy. Just venting,didn't mean to spoil your joy.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM

28 posts, read 107,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
bulldogdomain.com is a great place to go to get any info on bulldogs.

I have a female and had a male which we had to pts back in march. He was 12 years old. They are wonderful dogs, they are not lazy, we also have a shepherd and Rita, bulldog, loves going out and chasing the ball right along with the shepherd. She just can't do it for as many times as he does, they have this awsome personality, they have a way about them that you just can't help but not fall in love with them. I swear they can understand what you are saying. Great facial expressions. They are very smart but also very stubborn. Although very treat motivated so you can get them to do just about anything you want with food. I have to say on top of Rita or she tends to think she is in charge. Believe me when I say it's all about her. She is known as Princess Rita at the vets.

They can have a lot of health problems. They can't be out in the heat for to long, they have been known to die from heat exhaustion. Rita has had surgery on her eye twice, eye lashes were growing into the eye, also had cherry eye, has had knee surgery on both knees, another problem they can have is that the knees can blow out. She had surgery to remove some fat around her private area which was causing her to have infections. You have to keep the folds on the face clean or they can get infected also. The only problem our male had was problems with his skin.

Bulldogs make great pets. There is never a dull moment when there is a bulldog around. I have never laughed so hard with any other dog I have had except the bulldogs.

Good luck in your search. Your going to love having a bully. Here is my dogster page for Biker which has pics of Rita and Rugby.

Dog profile for Biker, a male German Shepherd
OMG Rita and Rugby are so beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureid View Post
Thankfully you already know not to buy a dog from anywhere except a reputable breeder. NO PET STORES AND NO ON-LINE PUPPIES!

The best place to find a reputable breeder is the Bulldog Club of America (BCA). The Bulldog Club of America

The BCA will refer you to reputable breeders in your area. The will also refer you to the Bulldog Rescue if you are interested in adopting. Lastly, they have good info about what to look for in a puppy and breeder.

Secondly, the following website has wonderful information about bulldogs, buying a puppy, and has a listing of breeders in/near San Diego:

BulldogsWorld.com for the Bulldog in you! The Internet's Largest source for Bulldog information.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
We have a 12week OEB (Old English Bulldogge), she is a joy! We always wanted an english bulldog but were skeptical about all the health issues. The OEB is suppose to be the best alternative to the real deal because they are very similar with out the health concerns. Aside from the health benefits the main difference is in the size and stature. The OEB is longer legged and taller with not as big of a head, all things I wish we could have. We found her online through a puppy for sale site and visited the breeder before deciding what to do. It was not a hobbiest that sold her to us, just someone who had two adults to breed one time only. Good luck with your search!
What a great picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs