Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

I finally found the source of Beesley's constant itching--hot spots!

I have him on the typical treatment--anti-itch spray, I shaved the areas down a little bit, flushing the wounds with an anti-fungal treatment, and I have him on daily allergy pills.

The treatments are working nicely, and I've seen a 100% improvement in the existing sores. Unfortunately he created a new one while I was at work yesterday which leads me to believe this issue isn't allergies at all--it's pure boredom.

Short of taking him to a doggie daycare every day while I'm gone, what can I do? Put an E-collar on him? Get another dog for him to play with? Sedate him?

I have no clue what to do. I just want my dog to heal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Sorry to hear that he's chewing out of boredom. I still haven't found the source of Busters skin issues on his hip, but anytime a new one flared up I would put the e-collar on him because nothing else worked. I tried spraying the bitter apple spray around the area so he wouldn't chew and he just didn't care. If you can't take him to a doggie day care I would try the e-collar. When Buster wore his, since he is usually in a crate when I am not home, I would put him and his doggie bed in the kitchen behind a baby gate. He wasn't happy with me when he had to wear it but it prevented him from biting and licking and in a day or two it would start to get better. Good luck! I know how frustrating skin issues can be.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 AM

I should add that Beeze doesn't bite the spots raw--he itches them with his paws. I haven't quite been sold on the E-collar idea, because he'll still have access to scratch everywhere!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I should add that Beeze doesn't bite the spots raw--he itches them with his paws. I haven't quite been sold on the E-collar idea, because he'll still have access to scratch everywhere!
Hmmm....well if he's not biting then I'm not sure. Give the e-collar a try just to see if it even helps. Where are the spots located? Does he use his front or back paws to scratch?

I just noticed about a week ago on Bella's eyebrows, one side of her nose and under her chin there are some bald spots with what look like scabs, but I have no idea why they are there.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Are you sure they aren't lick granulomas? Shadow gives them to herself if I don't keep her occupied.

I have found that making sure she is worn out helps. But if she gets a bug bite or steps on a rock or any one of a million other things she will worry the spot. She did spend last night in her e-collar.

Once we get them healed she will leave them alone. I use a triple antibiotic ointment and sometimes have to bandage the spot. Fortunately she is not one of those dogs that will pick a new spot if I cover an existing spot.

It takes time to get them healed. Currently she is working 7 different spots. Ugh!

*edit* O.K., so now I see that he is not licking.

Have you done a food allergy test?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Hmmm....well if he's not biting then I'm not sure. Give the e-collar a try just to see if it even helps. Where are the spots located? Does he use his front or back paws to scratch?

I just noticed about a week ago on Bella's eyebrows, one side of her nose and under her chin there are some bald spots with what look like scabs, but I have no idea why they are there.
The spots are all located around his neck. He has 3 tiny ones on the top of his head and about 5 or so large ones ALL around his neck.

He uses his back paws for the spots on his neck and his front paws for the top of his head and to scratch his eyes.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

Have you done a food allergy test?
No, but only because I can't afford $1,000 right now.

He's on a grain-free diet, and has been for 6 months.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The spots are all located around his neck. He has 3 tiny ones on the top of his head and about 5 or so large ones ALL around his neck.

He uses his back paws for the spots on his neck and his front paws for the top of his head and to scratch his eyes.
The only thing I can think of that might prevent the scratching is to bandage his paws. Harsh yes, and I would have a real hard time doing it to my dogs as well, but if it stopped the scratching I would give it a shot. When is the last time Beasley got his nails trimmed? Is it possible to keep them as short as they can go, maybe that will help too? And I feel your pain on this trust me, between Busters hip issue and now Bellas dry spots on her face/chin I'm at my witts end with skin problems and I can't afford allergy testing either. My dogs currently eat Evo and up until last week were doing fine on it and then Bella stopped eating from her bowl

I swear these two have been to the vet more times in the past year than I have been to a doctor in the past five years lol

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
No, but only because I can't afford $1,000 right now.

He's on a grain-free diet, and has been for 6 months.
You can do the food test at home for free. Send me a DM if you would like me to walk you through it.

Shadow is allergic to chicken, lamb and liver (among other things) so grain free is not always the answer.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
I finally found the source of Beesley's constant itching--hot spots!

I have him on the typical treatment--anti-itch spray, I shaved the areas down a little bit, flushing the wounds with an anti-fungal treatment, and I have him on daily allergy pills.

The treatments are working nicely, and I've seen a 100% improvement in the existing sores. Unfortunately he created a new one while I was at work yesterday which leads me to believe this issue isn't allergies at all--it's pure boredom.

Short of taking him to a doggie daycare every day while I'm gone, what can I do? Put an E-collar on him? Get another dog for him to play with? Sedate him?

I have no clue what to do. I just want my dog to heal!
LOL...glad to hear the $58 meds are working!

I bought Dylan a soft E collar on his last surgery. As much as they hate it...it appears to be a bit more comfortable for them and works just as well. Not sure what you would come home to tho if you left TB all day with it on tho. He may freak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs