Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

Study provides new information about what's going on.

You are probably not prone to chowing down on poop, but some of our best friends beg to differ. While all dogs are not into the fresh stuff, some are decidedly inclined (heck, drawn) to gobble it up.

If you are still reading despite topic and tone, maybe it's personal. If one of your canine friends eats poop, you may wonder, "Why, dog? Why are you into this? And is it normal? And, well, could you maybe do it less?"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...dogs-eat-poop/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:36 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times
I have read that dogs will eat cat poop because of its high protein content. Which reminds me I must scoop the litter box.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
An easy way to pass along worms and parasites. Talk about rolling the dice with your pet's healt.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
So I read the whole article. They really didn't say why some dogs do this and the only suggestions for stopping it were to teach the dog "leave it" or clean it up before the dog can get to it.

We have this problem with 2 dogs at our dog park. We (the humans) watch like hawks and pick up poop as soon as it appears. But dogs can run faster than humans and sometimes get to it first.

BTW, we call them potty mouth.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,961,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have read that dogs will eat cat poop because of its high protein content. Which reminds me I must scoop the litter box.
I'd had my dog about 2 years before he started this nasty habit. I am fastidious about cleaning the litter box - and if I'm not fast enough - after she stunk it up - she'd come and give me the hairy eyeball and toss her head like "get off your butt and clean this - it stinks". He discovered if he lurked outside the bathroom he could slip in there before me... I'd see him stroll out kinda smacking his lips and cringe... I finally took a set of the short wire garden fence - and put it across the bathroom door. He's snort and doesn't realize he could jump it. It stopped him cold. He wouldn't dare walk into the bedroom and go in the other door - the bedroom was the cats domain and he'd receive a claws out smack...

that's one of the reasons I don't have a cat at this time.... soon I hope.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 PM

717 posts, read 559,610 times
I had a dog years ago that would take the dirty diapers out of trash and lick the insides!

Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,385,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I had a dog years ago that would take the dirty diapers out of trash and lick the insides!
Dogs can have, well...disgusting habits, at least to us. To them, it's like they hit the culinary jackpot. I've had dogs do this, as well as other rather personal items (underwear, underwear liners, etc.). Oh, and yes, the kitty litter box tends to equate to a canid's treasure trove of treats...which is why, when I had cats, I always faced the entrance of the box toward a wall...to discourage my dog's curiosity.

I've always equated these rather unwanted behaviours to the dog's keen - yet weird - sense of smell, rather than anything to do with protein content. (Ever see a dog after he finds a rotted fish somewhere? The more fetid the smell, the more interesting it is.)

One man's (or dog's) trash is another's treasure, sort of thing.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,240,539 times
We have a poop eater - he was a rescue and was emaciated with horrible mange when we "fostered" him, and he just sort of never left us. I suspect he survived (not well) on poop, mice, trash, etc., and it is "just food" in his mind. he only eats poop that has been around for a while - fresh stuff is frequently smelled, but not touched.

Obviously, when I catch him, I stop him - a loud "YUCK!" normally causes him to drop the poop and stop eating. My wife refers to deer and elk pellets as "pre-digested grass" and that particular type of poop seems to be the "delicacy" of the poop hierarchy.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM

731 posts, read 680,149 times
Thats disgusting. There is a product called Forbid you can put in the cat's food, or the dog's food whatever. It makes the feces taste disgusting to them and they stop eating poop. Obviously you can't feed it to the Elk.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,861,120 times
I lived once in an area where people thought it was totally okay to throw their dirty diapers out of their windows and my dog had a problem with it. He would get angry at you if you tried to wrestle a soiled dirty diaper from his mouth. I moved out after like 5 months. Never had a problem after that with that dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs