Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM

170 posts, read 121,731 times

Advertisements

Our rescue dog is generally well behaved, but he seems to be triggered by people standing in the doorway/foyer.

For example, we had guests over the weekend. One of them (a teenager) was standing in the doorway waiting to put her coat away and he kind of lunged at her barking. No snapping, but unhappy barking at her. Our dogwalker reported today that he was barking when she approached the house (he does alert for strangers walking by or being on the porch and I don't necessarily want to discourage that) and she would not enter until he got quiet and sat still. He knows her as she walks him three afternoons a week.

We had a plumber come in to install a sink and the dog seemed very friendly and interested in him until he stood in the doorway. Then he did the bark/lunge. Same with our postal carrier who reached over him to give me a package through the doorway.

We had guests who were rough housing a bit-- teenagers pushing one another away in a playful manner-- and he got very upset and stood between them protecting one of them.

Any suggestions on how to calm this behavior down? We are still learning him. He is a seizure from a neglectful household by animal control, so we don't know much about his past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 PM

423 posts, read 289,304 times
What breed/breeds is this dog?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 PM

170 posts, read 121,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
What breed/breeds is this dog?
A mix. We think beagle/retriever/hound of some sort. Reasonably smart. Very food motivated.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Our rescue dog is generally well behaved, but he seems to be triggered by people standing in the doorway/foyer.

For example, we had guests over the weekend. One of them (a teenager) was standing in the doorway waiting to put her coat away and he kind of lunged at her barking. No snapping, but unhappy barking at her. Our dogwalker reported today that he was barking when she approached the house (he does alert for strangers walking by or being on the porch and I don't necessarily want to discourage that) and she would not enter until he got quiet and sat still. He knows her as she walks him three afternoons a week.

We had a plumber come in to install a sink and the dog seemed very friendly and interested in him until he stood in the doorway. Then he did the bark/lunge. Same with our postal carrier who reached over him to give me a package through the doorway.

We had guests who were rough housing a bit-- teenagers pushing one another away in a playful manner-- and he got very upset and stood between them protecting one of them.

Any suggestions on how to calm this behavior down? We are still learning him. He is a seizure from a neglectful household by animal control, so we don't know much about his past.
Maybe you should train the dog that your doorway/hall is not "his place". Teach him that he doesn't belong at the door when someone knocks/rings. Don't leave any toys, bed, or his stuff there, and train him to sit someplace away from the door on command, such as when someone arrives. One of my rescues must have been trained this way by a previous owner. Whenever someone arrived (even me), she would first "announce" them, but then turn away and go to the same spot on the carpet where she could SEE the arrival, wag and wriggle, but not go up to them. Every single time. It was actually pretty cool.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I like that the dog walker didn't come in until he was quiet.

But yeah, teach him to go his "spot" when the doorbell rings and make him stay there. When someone new comes into the house as a guest and is staying for any length of time, have them take the dog on a leash and give him some commands. My now-dead Catahoula only needed to see me greet someone before I let them in for him to become calm, but the dog who came to me with a bite history, I made sure to formally introduce to people who would be coming in and out of my house and give them some leash time with him.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post

Place command or a down-stay in a corner, then correct the barking.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Be careful of with the rough housing. We have a rescue that bit my SIL when she was on the ground rough housing with my other dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs