Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times

Advertisements

My daughter's friend bought a rottweiler puppy from a breeder last week. He was a sweet little guy, friendly, playful, etc. A couple of days ago, she was playing with him and he suddenly collapsed. He had no heartbeat but when the owner shook him a little he gasped and started breathing. She immediately took him to the vet, who did all kinds of tests but could find absolutely nothing wrong with the pup. They put him on a ventilator, but he died soon after.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Why would a puppy with seemingly nothing wrong just suddenly pass away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I found this.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/db3...282b8ade2e.pdf

Did the vet do a full necropsy?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:33 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I found this.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/db3...282b8ade2e.pdf

Did the vet do a full necropsy?
Yeah, heart issue was my first thought. Only thing that really makes sense. Happens in people too.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you want to know the cause, you can pay to have a necropsy done.

If the pup was from a reputable show breeder, contact the breeder immediately. The breeder might want to have a necropsy done to try to find the cause of death.

It could be the heart. It could be that the pup ate something toxic. It could be an endocrine failure. Brain aneurysm..... any number if things.

A friend of mine had a dog die like that from a foxtail in the lungs.

The vet is very unlikely to do the necropsy. The body will be shipped to a veterinary university.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Sorry for the loss of the pet.

Idiopathic heart conditions are a not infrequent cause for such sudden deaths in young animals. They are hard to detect in routine exams and frequently unnoticed until a catastrophic heart failure occurs. IHSS is a known leading cause for heart failure … and it shows up in horses along with humans, too.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
That is a sad thing to happen. Such a shock.

We had a dog, who we got from foster, die very suddenly. In less than 24 hours he went from normal, to coughing, to dropping dead.
The vet did an exploratory exam, not a necropsy, and he said the heart was enlarged, so it was most likely heart failure. He had been treated for heartworm, before we got him, so I always wonder if there is any lasting damage after that.

I imagine, even with a careful breeder, it’s possible to have a puppy with a congenital problem.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't think they had a necropsy, they just took the pup home and buried him. The breeder has been told, and is giving the family a new male puppy as soon as one is available. They paid quite a sum for the dog in the first place. I just hope this is a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill.

I know it's true that there can often be an underlying, unknown health issue no matter where an animal comes from. We adopted a stray kitten last year that was the sweetest little guy, and he died rather suddenly. I guess you can only hope for the best and be vigilant.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:03 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't think they had a necropsy, they just took the pup home and buried him. The breeder has been told, and is giving the family a new male puppy as soon as one is available. They paid quite a sum for the dog in the first place. I just hope this is a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill.

I know it's true that there can often be an underlying, unknown health issue no matter where an animal comes from. We adopted a stray kitten last year that was the sweetest little guy, and he died rather suddenly. I guess you can only hope for the best and be vigilant.
We have now adjusted our expectation with pets from rescue. We give them love and care for as long as they are with us, but we dont expect them to necessarily live to old age. We have a dachshund from rescue now, who seems healthy and seems like someone loved him and trained him, so we’re cautiously optimistic.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My daughter's friend bought a rottweiler puppy from a breeder last week. He was a sweet little guy, friendly, playful, etc. A couple of days ago, she was playing with him and he suddenly collapsed. He had no heartbeat but when the owner shook him a little he gasped and started breathing. She immediately took him to the vet, who did all kinds of tests but could find absolutely nothing wrong with the pup. They put him on a ventilator, but he died soon after.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Why would a puppy with seemingly nothing wrong just suddenly pass away?
You need to contact the breeder if you haven't already. Any "good" breeder will want to know what happened as it can impact the health of their lines. They may also provide you with a replacement puppy.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Sometimes there are severe, even fatal, reactions to certain vaccinations as well as certain flea/tick meds. Whatever the cause, it is heartbreaking to lose a young puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs