Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^ This. I'd also call animal control and see if there are ordinances in your area about leaving dogs chained 24/7. They (and local LE) also might be interested in what he's using all those roosters for.

I agree - my state has an anti-tethering law. I truly hate people who get a dog(s) only to leave them chained up in the yard 24/7 in all kinds of weather. Besides being cruel it can make a lot of dogs aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
What is a cur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
. . .

Cur dog - https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/black-mouth-cur#/slide/1

The cur dog is pretty common in the south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's interesting. I've heard the word "cur" but I didn't really know what it meant - I actually though it was a disparaging term for a mutt. They actually sound like nice dogs.
. . .
The black-mouth cur is turning into a breed, but cur is a bigger term for a dog who is usually useful for hunting or other work. Typically a mix-breed dog who has been bred (or allowed to breed) for purpose (hunting and general livestock work), rather than "breed" or looks. You could find a cur assisting a poacher in 1850's England, or helping a farmer guard his stock. The black-mouth cur as a breed type grew out of dogs used for general purpose - herding cattle or other livestock and hunting. The Catahoula used to be a cur, but they've gone upscale these days.

So, yeah, it has been used as a disparaging term equal to mutt, but it sounds a lot more emphatic, right? "YOU MUTT" just doesn't carry the same oomph as "You CUR"! In a lot of places in this world, just calling someone a dog is equivalent to about the dirtiest thing you can call somebody. I suppose calling them a cur could be adding insult to injury - "You cur!" = "You are the son of a wh*re! You don't know your father! You eat poop and roll in filth! You are untouchable!" Pretty dramatic, eh?

Wartrace: if you think this landowner isn't roo-fighting - or even if you think he is - here's another option. Just go to his property and openly take the puppies. Take them home and foster them - and LEAVE THIS NEIGHBOR A NOTE ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE. Invite him to come over (in the note) to pick up the pups. Justify this by telling him the pups were running loose and needed care and a safe place to live. Just like you've said here. Since you are being honest and open, if this neighbor wants the dogs back, you won't have much choice except to hand them over.

Doing it this way would mean you wouldn't have to worry about any security cameras.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
^The OP has expressed an understandable unwillingness to trespass on the guy's property, and security cam or not, there's still the issue of a possibly protective Mama Cur. The puppies will run to her as soon as they see the OP on the property. It's a safe bet they haven't been socialized enough to run up to him wagging their tails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
^^^This, which I didn't think about and certainly should have. These types of people are capable of burning someone's house down or shooting their dogs or livestock.

You should have bolded some of your thoughts, so people would pay attention

If that is what is going on, it's going to be rough as h*** to get Animal Control out.

Wartrace,. If those pups do go missing, make sure you are NOT anywhere near the property they live on. I would bet a month's pay there are game cams set up everywhere -- you don't want your picture on them ----

The OP did, at least. And yeah, these types of people aren't the kind you want to leave neighborly little notes for. He's already proven that he's weird and antisocial.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
A property owner up the road has a male and female cur dog chained up guarding his roosters. (He does not live on property; just has a bunch of roosters) He allowed the dogs to breed and now there are six pups running on the road and around neighboring properties.

The pups don't have a chance of surviving long. If the coyotes or Bobcats don't get them the cars will.

I'm considering snatching them.
If animal control doesn't do anything, take them. If AC in Wartrace is anything like where I am they wont do anything.
It doesn't sound to me like the guy gives two figs about the dogs. I bought my property from a guy like that. He would have dogs and half the time not be living there. My sister re homed two of them on separate occasions because they stayed on her porch. The guys wife got P O'ed about the golden retriever but hey what are you going to do after you ask several times about the dogs and they do nothing. My nephew who lives next door found a starved pit pup outside next to his window in the winter. It would have died if he hadnt taken it to the vet right then. It also belonged to this guy. He also had a horse he tied there that starved to death. When I bought the property he had left an emaciated pit with very bad mange (I still have that dog).

Can you tell if the roosters are game roosters or no. Are they in a pen together, free range or tied apart from each other. If the latter they are fighting roosters.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Well, snatching them is illegal, as others have noted. However, you do say they are wandering on other properties.

This may not be quite applicable, but if you find an untagged, unregistered dog on your property, and you do not know who the owner is, it would be lost property. In which case it would then be FOUND property, with you as the finder. The legal status of dogs as found property is VERY cloudy, but generally you should call your local animal control inside 48 hours, after which animal control would likely let you take care of the dog, should you want.

Here's a technical review of various states and options. https://www.animallaw.info/article/o...g-legal-issues. It IS on the technical side, but it gives you a good picture of the variety of legal statuses around the country in such a situation. THIS link is simpler, by far, but ultimately may not be as accurate: https://resources.lawinfo.com/insura...as-my-own.html. Keep in mind the 2nd link is for MICHIGAN. TN will be different, but how its different I don't know. OTOH, I don't think the animal control officers are going to care if you tell them you want to care for the pups. To them it would just take a problem off their hands, I'm sure.

And another consideration would be how much this neighbor would care if you "found" the pups - or even just started caring for them in his place, as a good-faith neighbor.

Best option would be to talk to the neighbor next time you see him. If that's going to be a long while, take the pups in and foster them until the neighbor comes around. Be prepared for the neighbor to say he wants the dogs back - but at least you'll have done the right thing. If the dogs are running loose, you can sic animal control on him at any time.

BTW - I'm assuming the pups are past weaning age - since they are running around on other properties.
Yep. All of this.

Honestly, if this moron thinks its ok to let a litter of puppies run loose, nobody's going to judge you (or more importantly, prosecute you) for taking the ones you find running amok while you're out and about. You have no proof they're his and I doubt he's got any proof either unless he wants to pay for genetic testing. This guy isn't some high-end breeder who takes pictures of each puppy and puts collars on them, I'm thinking. Finders keepers, AFAIC.

It's bad enough he doesn't spay or neuter his dogs and just leaves them on an attended property. But to just leave puppies to run loose is BEYOND irresponsible. It's a danger to the community as another poster pointed out - a year from now, that will be a full-blown pack of hunting dogs running around a rural area. That is SUPER dangerous for everyone. Plus, rampaging puppies could cause a car accident if they're playing in the street.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Update- I called Animal control and they didn't seem too interested. I brought my binoculars with me on my walk yesterday and it seems as if he has built a small fenced in area for the pups and the female dog. My guess is he plans on selling the pups.

Thanks for all the advice. Since the pups do not appear to be in danger anymore I am relieved.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Update- I called Animal control and they didn't seem too interested. I brought my binoculars with me on my walk yesterday and it seems as if he has built a small fenced in area for the pups and the female dog. My guess is he plans on selling the pups.

Thanks for all the advice. Since the pups do not appear to be in danger anymore I am relieved.
Thanks for the update!

Old 03-30-2019, 12:02 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Update- I broke down and adopted on of the pups. I talked to the owner and he is working to get the pups adopted out but still has four left. He's giving them away.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Update- I broke down and adopted on of the pups. I talked to the owner and he is working to get the pups adopted out but still has four left. He's giving them away.
Congratulations! You are a sucker for a cute pup. I mean that in a good way

If he is giving them away and you are talking to him in a friendly way now would he be willing to take a spay certificate for the female? I live in a very rural area and we have groups even here that provide that. Check around. You may be able to help him out. You know the saying; you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar . The owner may just not know any better or be in a bind. Kudos to you for caring about these dogs.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs