Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times

Advertisements

The rescue organizations in my area are understandably picky who they adopt to. I’ve noticed that on most rescue applications, there’s a question about rehoming past pets. And I’ve seen a surprising number of applicants that admit to giving away a dog only to apply for another in 2/3/4 years later.

Obviously unprovoked violence is a legitimate reason to say sayonara to a dog. But beyond that, are there other lreasons to give your dog away and then apply for another a few years later? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 07:05 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I did.

Had an Australian heeler cross. Not sure with what-wind storm maybe?

I tried to keep her happy but after a 3 hr walk, me sitting sometimes, her constantly running, I was resting at my picnic table, she wanted to go for another run.

Found a farmer with lots of land, cows, and his father dropped his dog off on his way to work every day so a part-time companion. he spoiled her in ways I couldn't.

Better situation all round.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
1. Most "unprovoked violence" perpetrated by dogs is anything but unprovoked.
2. But any dog that is human aggressive should never be re-homed unless it's to a very aware and skilled home.

I digress..

My answer to your question is "Yes, there is." If anything working with dogs (municipal shelter, non-profit humane society) has taught me is that there are so many possible explanations for situations that people might find themselves in. And while many people (the vast majority) have excuses and BS stories, there really are some legit reasons.

Some of those are like the previous post - when it benefits the dog to find a home that can give it what it needs for proper mental and physical health. Another one is when the health of the human is such that they are not able to care for the dog. We get quite a number of pets in my shelter from that sort of situation, and it's often heartbreaking because the people desperately want to keep their pet, but just can't.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
A very legitimate (and very common reason) to rehome a pet is if it doesn't get along with existing pets in the household or vice versa. Many times those issues don't work themselves out and it's not fair to other pets in the home. I haven't had this happen to me but wouldn't hesitate to do this if it did.

I am not sure how the question is worded but most people feel there is a huge difference between rehoming a pet and dropping it off at a shelter. People I know who have brought in a new pet and it doesn't get along or is not accepted rehome to a friend or relative. I don't see why anyone would think there is anything wrong with finding a home that is a better fit.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
My two year old Rottweiler was rehomed to me by the family who had raised her from an 8 week old pup.

They did everything right -- from vaccinations to socializing to obedience school to feed and feeding.

The man brought her crate, her bed, her toys and tears welled up when he left her with me. He had tried for three months to find her a good home with no luck. Finally a mutual friend of both of us called me, knowing I had had Rottweiler's in the past and she would have a great home.

So WHY did such a caring family give the dog,up?:

They ended up having four children UNDER TEN.
The wife home schools the two older children.
The husband started working seven days a week.
Suddenly they had zero time for a pup that had reached 70#, had boundless energy, and was too smart for her own good.
They realized they were resenting the times the dog asked to go outside to take care of business. Never mind trying to find time to play with her.

This is a bit of a twist to the original question. I answered anyway because my Rottweiler was rehomed to me without having to go to a shelter, which would have been horrible for her, given the great way her life started

FWIW her whip smart self now lives on 25 acres, gets to run and check fences every day, has loved the horses right from the gitgo, also has a huge fenced back yard, has a Catahoula/Pit friend that is a shelter rescue, and her bed is beside our bed.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 AM

372 posts, read 220,210 times
Let's see now;

My sister has a Chihuahua, now 16. She took him about a decade ago from his blind pensioner owner who had tp go into care

I recently took a dog from Animal Welfare (when I say 'took" I mean they sold him to me for $700, but he's neutered. micro chipped and vaccinated. Any money left goes to Animal Welfare which is not for profit.

A Jack Russell, apparently he had belonged to an old lady ,and had become too much for her .He's 2 years old, and may live to 16-17 . The time may come when I need to go into care. I got a small dog on purpose because they are a lot easier to re home than a larger dog. At Animal Welfare they tend to be adopted first day on offer.

PS I love Rottweilers , lovely natured ,and protective. Perhaps bit big for me now. My Jack Russell is also very protective.He could give your trouser leg a good thrashing.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I gave a perfectly lovely cat away to a friend after 3 years of trying to help him blend in with my pet population. I had adopted him from a gross situation at a rough time in my life (my one friend called him my "stress kitten"). My first cat had just died and I was worried about his companion since they had never been able to be apart. Turns out she was PERFECTLY fine with being alone if her consort was dead and REALLY hated the interloper. Three years of screaming cat confrontations and my dogs being unsettled. All my other pets were older and heading into their senior years. When the chance came up to give him a better situation than what I was providing, I took it. He was happier. My other animals were happier and I was sleeping through the night.

I get skeptical of the "forever home" concept if people don't admit there's nuances and it shouldn't be an absolute.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Another reason might be if one family member develops a health condition which precludes pet ownership, but that family member subsequently leaves or dies (so now responsible pet ownership is a possibility again).

Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
The rescue organizations in my area are understandably picky who they adopt to. I’ve noticed that on most rescue applications, there’s a question about rehoming past pets. And I’ve seen a surprising number of applicants that admit to giving away a dog only to apply for another in 2/3/4 years later.

Obviously unprovoked violence is a legitimate reason to say sayonara to a dog. But beyond that, are there other lreasons to give your dog away and then apply for another a few years later? What do you think?
Of course there are multiple reasons. Why wouldn't there be? Maybe you can no longer afford to feed a pet or pay for medical care.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Actually, as follow-on to my previous post, while trying to rehome my cat, I approached a woman at a rescue group and asked if it would be possible to do a "swap." I told her my young cat was making my senior pet population miserable but he was perfectly healthy and a wonderful cat. I asked her if the rescue would be willing to provide me with an older cat that was known to get along with other animals but they might have trouble adopting out because of age or health problems. I had experience caring for cats in kidney failure and was perfectly prepared to take on that expense if it meant I could find a more suitable home for my young and rambunctious kitty who would not be a drain on their finances and could be adopted out immediately if they had an appropriate home. She looked at me like I was some kind of cross between a monster and a lunatic.

I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "swap." LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs