Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:48 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,694 times

Advertisements

Okay,I have two questions. I would love to adopt a small/medium sized dog. I live alone and it does get lonely. I also have allergies(but I do take Clariton which helps). I,at first wanted a pug,but as they shed a good deal I ruled a pug out. I later thought about getting a schnauzer because they are also cute and don't shed a lot,but was told they are hard to housebreak and bark a lot. I wouldn't mind the barking,but neighbors might. I like beagles as well,but don't know as much about owning one.
Any other breeds that are smallish and would be good for a person with allergies? I prefer terriers to poodles,or even a mixed breed as long as it isn't large,because I don't have much of a yard for a larger dog.
Also, I am moving( hopefully) soon,and is it difficult to find an apartment that allows small dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Have you considered a Yorkie or Yorkie mix? They can be strong-willed, but they are small. Many apartments or rentals have a weight limit on dogs and a Yorkie surely won't go over that!

Also, be prepared for a pet deposit. Almost all landlords will require one.

Please contact your local shelter and see if you can visit with any dogs that might meet your specs. And please remember that in a lot of shelters, owner surrenders are the first to go to the Bridge, and they go quickly. I guess there's a natural assumption that there must be something "wrong" with the dog if it would be surrendered. But visiting the shelter would likely allow you to not only visit the dog and get a feel for the temperament and personality, but see if it sends you off into a sneezing fit! You don't have to wander the shelter if it is just too much for you - if you can visit at a non-peak time, usually the workers will bring dogs to you that meet your criteria.

Just a helpful hint - I have Rotties that are shedding machines and also took Claritin. I've switched to the new over-the-counter Zyrtec generic and it has definitely cut down on my reaction to pet dander. You might try it unless it is contraindicated with any other meds you might be taking...good luck and let us know if you locate your new best friend! Oh, and if you aren't going to try a shelter, look for some of the small breed rescue groups in your area. Many/most of the dogs are in foster care and the foster will be able to clue you in as to whether the dog is a barker, etc. Doesn't help much with your allergies - I know some dogs will set me off and some won't - but I strongly encourage looking at the rescues as well. By adopting one, you're making room for another dog to come in and another life is saved...either way, shelter or rescue, you're helping decrease the number of homeless animals!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post

Any other breeds that are smallish and would be good for a person with allergies?

I am very allergic to dogs. For the past 11 years I've lived with a shih tzu, and have never had an allergic reaction. They are excellent companions, and are small to medium sized dogs. (Mine is a little peanut, weighing in at a whopping 6 pounds...) You might want to look into this particular breed. They are extremely sweet and loving! Mine only barks when someone knocks at the door; he's otherwise quiet!

Take gentle care.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,606 times
I love beagles, and I rescued a beagle mix almost 7 years ago. They are GREAT dogs, but they do have a tendency to bark. Actually, a beagle's bark is called a bay, and if you've never heard one before, you might be surprised that a noise like that could come out of a relatively small animal! But, as they were bread to hunt, having a "melodious voice" is part of what makes a beagle a beagle.

It's possible, with training and appropriate distractions, to get your beagle to keep his bay under control when you aren't home... but I've read that their bay is what causes many to end up in the shelter. So if you are living in an apartment (as do I) and if you're concerned about annoying your neighbors, you might want to consider another breed of dog.

And, while they don't require excessive amounts of grooming, they do shed.

I hope I haven't turned you away from beagles entirely, but did want to let you know about these things so that you know what to expect if you decide to adopt a one.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times
We got a Maltese for this exact reason. I have horrible allergies, but the Maltese don't shed (just like yorkies), so are perfect for someone with allergies.

Ours is very quiet (never barks), but I think it's more down to individual personality of the dog as opposed to the breed in general.

You do have to comb either a Maltese or a Yorkie very regulary because they have hair like a human, not fur. So if you don't comb it, it can tangle and knot very badly just like people hair. So there is maintanence involved.

Maltese don't have the yorkie terrier personality and tend to be much more laid back which is another reason we chose this breed over a yorkie. Yorkies were breed to hunt rodents. Maltese were bred to look pretty. Lol.
BUT Maltese are white you have to keep them clean (especially their faces) which can be a little bit of extra maintanence.

Totally worth it though! Lovely breed of dog.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I am very allergic to dogs. For the past 11 years I've lived with a shih tzu, and have never had an allergic reaction. They are excellent companions, and are small to medium sized dogs. (Mine is a little peanut, weighing in at a whopping 6 pounds...) You might want to look into this particular breed. They are extremely sweet and loving! Mine only barks when someone knocks at the door; he's otherwise quiet!

Take gentle care.
Had a shihtzu...the most human like of any dog I've owned (lhasas, maltese, yellow lab and goldens). Sweet sweet sweet disposition. Hard maintenance with an undercoat that tends to mat very quickly. I grew her out once (belly to floor hair) and the top knot makes their wonderful eyes show...is not a shedder (unlike the shorter haired lab!), and totally mellow, easy to train/housebreak, even as a pup!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,468 times
I have a Yorkie and, until last week, a beagle mix who passed away at 18. Yorkies are great for people with allergies. Shedding is very minimal and they are great companions. Although spirited, they are very small (mine is 6 lbs) and the perfect lapdog. For many years, he was a therapy dog visiting nursing homes with me. The residents loved him. The breed tends to bond to one person. The negatives are that they can yap a lot, are a bit hard to housebreak and require a lot of grooming (even if you keep them in a puppy cut, it requires doing it yourself or paying someone to do it).

Our beagle was a wonderful family dog. He was very obedient, completely housebroken and low maintenance (in terms of grooming and appetite). I didn't find him to bark too much, but maybe it was because we adopted him as a senior dog. He shed A LOT! I had to sweep every day or I would find lumps of hair.

You might want to consider a maltese, yorkie, bichon frise or shih tzu if you are partial to breeds other than poodles.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
Okay,I have two questions. I would love to adopt a small/medium sized dog. I live alone and it does get lonely. I also have allergies(but I do take Clariton which helps). I,at first wanted a pug,but as they shed a good deal I ruled a pug out. I later thought about getting a schnauzer because they are also cute and don't shed a lot,but was told they are hard to housebreak and bark a lot. I wouldn't mind the barking,but neighbors might. I like beagles as well,but don't know as much about owning one.
Any other breeds that are smallish and would be good for a person with allergies? I prefer terriers to poodles,or even a mixed breed as long as it isn't large,because I don't have much of a yard for a larger dog.
Also, I am moving( hopefully) soon,and is it difficult to find an apartment that allows small dogs?

Before getting anything, scope out the area where you're intedning to rent an apt. Ask questions to see if they allow pets. As pointed out some do allow yet have a weight limit. Where I live however, 95% of rental don't allow pets.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
You also might consider a Papillion. They are very easy to train and ranked hi on the intellengent list.

Contact the local breed organizations and visit breeders...that's what I did until I found the right breed for me.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,466 times
I was allergic to dogs for years when I was little and I was always around dogs. I had a Schnauzer and he was the best dog in the world. He did bark a lot, but I've known plenty others that are fairly quiet. He was also easy to house train.

There are plenty of smaller/medium dog breeds the hard part is the apartment. A lot of medium breeds need quite a bit of exercise, but if you go down to a smaller breed they are better apartment dogs.
Yorkie
Cocker Spaniel
Papillion
Italian Greyhound (great dogs)
Maltese
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Cairn Terrier
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog

Those are just good small/medium apartment breeds in my opinion.

I would just got to a few different rescues and look around. There are a lot of small dogs in shelters. Give Petfinder.com a try. Of all dogs apartments usually let small/medium breeds. It's the larger ones they don't always enjoy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs