Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 04:10 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

I got my hands on a whole beef heart. I sliced it really thin and put the meat into the dehydrator and dried it until it is crisp.

If I ever do it again, I will put the dehydrator outside because heart STINKS! when it is drying. It is really yucky and it stunk up my whole garage.

I will have to do it again because my dogs are absolutely crazy about this dried heart jerky.

So... heart and tripe get cooked outside. Dogs, being dogs, love stinky food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 12:35 AM

4,217 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Do not attempt pig's liver inside the house. Even the dogs turned their noses up at it. Kangaroo liver seems to be the right level of stench for the dogs but won't stink the house up.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:03 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,996,578 times
Kangaroo liver. Well, no telling where you might be from, would there!

I've never tried dehydrating any innards for treats. What I can get goes in my homemade dog food. Interesting idea on the tripe tho! Tripe is very hard for me to get, due to regulations. Used to be I could get it at a reasonable price from a raw food supplier, but the popularity of raw feeding has gone up - and so has the price.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Kangaroo liver. Well, no telling where you might be from, would there!

I've never tried dehydrating any innards for treats. What I can get goes in my homemade dog food. Interesting idea on the tripe tho! Tripe is very hard for me to get, due to regulations. Used to be I could get it at a reasonable price from a raw food supplier, but the popularity of raw feeding has gone up - and so has the price.
I think you can get kangaroo pet food in the US. Although there are some pretty silly laws now around the sale of kangaroo products in some US states. I think kangaroo meat is generally considered excellent for dogs, high protein, very lean etc. A lot of vets seem to recommend it where a dog has food allergies. Also, because it is a by-product of population management (ie culling) there is a lot more meat than human consumption demand so it doesn't tend to be just the scraps as is the case for a lot of other pet grade meats.

Tripe is good too. Tripe soup. Yum.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:42 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
........Tripe is good too. Tripe soup. Yum.
You would really have to love menudo to pay the price for tripe. My dogs used to get tripe, but now it is just as cheap to feed them good steak (and they don't get a lot of steak, either). Mostly, if they are getting beef, it is inside round or bottom round.

Anything that is innards is priced out of dog food range. Sorry, my dogs love chicken livers, but at $8 a pound, they are not getting any chicken livers.

I've seen kangaroo dog kibble advertised by a local feed store. My dogs don't get kibble, so I haven't bought any, but I suspect it would be worth the cost if a dog had allergies but could eat that type of kibble.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
. . .
Tripe is good too. Tripe soup. Yum.
Erm. Tried that a couple of times, night after you know, when I was living down in the southwest. Thanks, but I'll stick with a hard pass on that now!

Old 08-10-2023, 03:42 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
I dried beef liver and my dogs wouldn't touch it. Dried chicken strips were a different story. They loved it.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You would really have to love menudo to pay the price for tripe. My dogs used to get tripe, but now it is just as cheap to feed them good steak (and they don't get a lot of steak, either). Mostly, if they are getting beef, it is inside round or bottom round.
I have been surprised at how expensive meat has become in the US.

Quote:
Anything that is innards is priced out of dog food range. Sorry, my dogs love chicken livers, but at $8 a pound, they are not getting any chicken livers.
I go a few suburbs over to an Asian butcher (he also does some amazing Thai fermented pork sausages, but that's another thread) who does beef liver for AU$4/kg so ~$US2.80/pound, I can usually get kangaroo liver for $3/kg or less. Too many people want to make chicken liver pate these days, but there are cheap options around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Erm. Tried that a couple of times, night after you know, when I was living down in the southwest. Thanks, but I'll stick with a hard pass on that now!
Fifteen or so years ago work had me going to Warsaw fairly regularly. While in Poland I discovered their tripe soup. Fantastic stuff. I have not tried menudo. Although it seems to work by being so awful you forget about your hangover.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
. . .
Fifteen or so years ago work had me going to Warsaw fairly regularly. While in Poland I discovered their tripe soup. Fantastic stuff. I have not tried menudo. Although it seems to work by being so awful you forget about your hangover.
I'd say that was an accurate description of my experience with it!

Old 08-17-2023, 02:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
I got my hands on a whole beef heart. I sliced it really thin and put the meat into the dehydrator and dried it until it is crisp.

If I ever do it again, I will put the dehydrator outside because heart STINKS! when it is drying. It is really yucky and it stunk up my whole garage.

I will have to do it again because my dogs are absolutely crazy about this dried heart jerky.

So... heart and tripe get cooked outside. Dogs, being dogs, love stinky food.
Try pork liver- it's not as stinky as beef heart or liver. I would still dehydrate it outside. My dogs love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs