Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times

Advertisements

In the next few days I will be traveling on vacation with my two elderly dogs. We will be traveling by car for about 17 hours over probably two days in each direction. Pittsburgh PA to Noble Oklahoma.

I have the basics such as bringing plenty of food and water and doggie harness/seat belts for their safety. Tags on the collars and microchips.

My biggest worry is that the trip is going to be long and this is summer. Where we are heading is typically much warmer even that here at home. I never take my dogs in the car anyplace I have to leave them inside ,during warm months ,due to the dangers of hot cars. But at some point on this trip I am going to have to pee....I am pretty sure I can't take them with me into the restroom.

I plan to bring an extra set of keys so I can leave the car running with the A/C on while I make a rest stop. I have no plans to stop anywhere for any length of time where they can't also get out and walk around.

Anyone here with traveling with dogs experience that can offer any tips, words of advice. Anything I can do to make this trip fun for all of us as well as safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 06:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
I plan the same kind of trip and had the same concerns. A friend that travels to shows recommended the battery operated fans - they use these both in the car & at the show.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-battery-powered-fans?id=bng

I picked up 5 (I have 2 older dogs). I plan to set up the fans and then run like he$$ to the biff. I'll leave the locked car running for a/c also. I have several temp/humidity gauges I'll set up to check what the temps get to.

Good luck!!

Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Two sets of keys. Leave the dogs harnessed while you go potty with the A/C running and doors locked. As long as you have another door key, you won't get locked out. Alternatively, roll the windows down as much as you can. It only takes a few minutes to use the bathroom, and dogs can handle the heat as long as the windows are down. I just roll down the windows while my Great Danes are leashed to the backseat of my SUV.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
I've traveled with dogs, and also with my parents (with us as kids) when going from NY to Washington state.

Here are some more ideas:

Sounds like you have it together. I'd do traveling as much as possible early in the morning- even if it means getting up at 4 am. Mornings are the coolest time.

Carry a third set of keys on you in case you lose 1 set.

Many roadside cafes allow well behaved dogs on patios (or picnic tables) so you may ask at the restaurant about that when you need to eat.

Always park in the shade, even if you need to walk a little further (with or without dogs in the car). Cars can get very hot and take a while to cool off.

I don't know if you've done short travel with your dogs, but check with your vet for meds if the dogs get car sick. Always have a few rolls of paper towels just in case. Carry health certificates from your vet. You never know if they will get scared in a new situation and bite someone, or some idiot's dog gets into a fight with your dogs.

If your dogs need special foods, meds, etc, make sure you have plenty and store in a safe clean space.

Don't bring more than you need. You don't want to be juggling multiple suitcases, bags, and 2 dogs on a leash.

Never allow the dogs off leash. Even if they are good at coming to you, they are now in new unfamiliar areas and can get scared very easily.

Carry a photo of both dogs- god forbid if they get away from you. Make sure the dogs have ID. You can buy capsules that unscrew- in it put your info -address/ phone/ cell # and maybe the address you are going too- especially if there is a person/ family at the OTHER end

Have things the dogs are familiar with for comfort- especially their bed and favorite toy.

Most motels do allow pets especially on major roads and major chains.

If possible stay at a motel that has breakfast. This way that is 1 less time you need to stop to eat.

Don't leave your dogs alone in motel rooms for any length of time. They may think you are not coming back and were abandoned- they may bark and cry the whole time you are gone and management then may ask you to leave. Also put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door- you don't want housekeeping coming in and accidently letting the dogs out.

Ensure your dogs are housebroken- or crate them at night in motel rooms. You may be asked to pay for cleaning or damage.

Ask motel managers where to walk your dogs.

If your dogs are not well behaved in the car- keep them in a crate- you don't need to be in a car accident.

Get AAA in case you break down.

Keep your vet's phone # on hand, in case you have any questions/ problems.

Bring an extra leash, and harness.

Bring an extra bowl.

Don't feed them from your food, or unfamiliar foods while traveling. You don't want unset tummies and diarrhea.

Walk them often. When I traveled with my dog I stopped every 2 hrs. I peed, the dog peed, I got coffee- type of thing- nothing major.

Get motel rooms by 4-5 pm. Motels can fill up early and they may only have a few "pet" rooms available, that are near the dog walk areas.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your travels.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:35 AM

231 posts, read 334,771 times
You might want to have a list of emergency vets nearby in the areas you are passing. Also, have you ever heard of cooling vests and towels? I don't have one myself so I cannot personally attest to them but I have been considering getting one for my dog and the reviews on the dog cooling vests seem pretty good.

I also really want to travel with my older dog. I hope you guys have fun!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Get your hotel room booked ahead of time, and plan your first night for the shortest leg of the journey.
If you can stop at 7 hours the first night for example, that way they should be less stressed (compared to doing 10-12 hours). I would also avoid dog areas at rest stops (for young, old and immune compromised dogs) especially when traveling since they can be more stressed when traveling.
Look for, or plan ahead places to stop. State monuments, any public shady area, country road, parks, etc....) Choose places that just look good/ safe to you.
Tripswithpets.com looks interesting. Not sure of your route.
My dogs are happy to sleep for 8 hour stretches in the car if they have had enough exercise before we leave, and once we land. Much easier with elderly dogs
Good luck

Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I've traveled with dogs, and also with my parents (with us as kids) when going from NY to Washington state.

Here are some more ideas:

Sounds like you have it together. I'd do traveling as much as possible early in the morning- even if it means getting up at 4 am. Mornings are the coolest time.

Carry a third set of keys on you in case you lose 1 set.

Many roadside cafes allow well behaved dogs on patios (or picnic tables) so you may ask at the restaurant about that when you need to eat.

Always park in the shade, even if you need to walk a little further (with or without dogs in the car). Cars can get very hot and take a while to cool off.

I don't know if you've done short travel with your dogs, but check with your vet for meds if the dogs get car sick. Always have a few rolls of paper towels just in case. Carry health certificates from your vet. You never know if they will get scared in a new situation and bite someone, or some idiot's dog gets into a fight with your dogs.

If your dogs need special foods, meds, etc, make sure you have plenty and store in a safe clean space.

Don't bring more than you need. You don't want to be juggling multiple suitcases, bags, and 2 dogs on a leash.

Never allow the dogs off leash. Even if they are good at coming to you, they are now in new unfamiliar areas and can get scared very easily.

Carry a photo of both dogs- god forbid if they get away from you. Make sure the dogs have ID. You can buy capsules that unscrew- in it put your info -address/ phone/ cell # and maybe the address you are going too- especially if there is a person/ family at the OTHER end

Have things the dogs are familiar with for comfort- especially their bed and favorite toy.

Most motels do allow pets especially on major roads and major chains.

If possible stay at a motel that has breakfast. This way that is 1 less time you need to stop to eat.

Don't leave your dogs alone in motel rooms for any length of time. They may think you are not coming back and were abandoned- they may bark and cry the whole time you are gone and management then may ask you to leave. Also put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door- you don't want housekeeping coming in and accidently letting the dogs out.

Ensure your dogs are housebroken- or crate them at night in motel rooms. You may be asked to pay for cleaning or damage.

Ask motel managers where to walk your dogs.

If your dogs are not well behaved in the car- keep them in a crate- you don't need to be in a car accident.

Get AAA in case you break down.

Keep your vet's phone # on hand, in case you have any questions/ problems.

Bring an extra leash, and harness.

Bring an extra bowl.

Don't feed them from your food, or unfamiliar foods while traveling. You don't want unset tummies and diarrhea.

Walk them often. When I traveled with my dog I stopped every 2 hrs. I peed, the dog peed, I got coffee- type of thing- nothing major.

Get motel rooms by 4-5 pm. Motels can fill up early and they may only have a few "pet" rooms available, that are near the dog walk areas.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your travels.
Great post! But I must advise traveling with them in a sturdy, secure crate even if well behaved in the car. There are countless stories of people traveling who have been involved in an accident and their dogs riding loose in the car escaped through broken windows or were thrown from the car and were seriously/mortally injured, killed by oncoming traffic or never found.

I use only crash-tested crates because I am a nut about safety. There are also crash-tested seat belt harnesses that are more affordable and more doable than crates for smaller vehicles. OP, you mentioned that you have seat belt harnesses already but please know that the vast majority are worthless in a serious accident. You'd be wise to ensure that you have crash-tested versions for your precious companions. Be sure to train your dogs to be comfy wearing the harnesses before your trip.

Here is a short C-D discussion that might be helpful. http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...seat-belt.html

I would try the Allsafe first if I couldn't crate my dogs in the car. Allsafe Pet Harness | Summit Agility Equipment

The Sleepypod Clickit Utility, Ruff Rider Roadie and Ruffwear Load Up harnesses also have been crash tested. Strength tested is not good enough. The harness must be actually crash tested to adequately evaluate performance. Fit is also very important so a different harness may work better for any individual dog.

Sleepypod® Clickit Utility| Top performing Dog Harness | Dog Safety - Sleepypod® | The safest pet company | Dog Carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Harness

http://ruffrider.com/roadie-safety-harness/

Ruffwear Load Up

Here is the 2013 Center For Pet Safety Seat Belt Harness crash test report. The Sleepypod Clickit Utility fared the best followed by Allsafe and the Ruff Rider Roadie. The Ruffwear Load Up was not tested in this particular crash test.

http://centerforpetsafety.org/wp-con...mary_final.pdf

Last edited by Jumpindogs; 06-26-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Wow thanks for all of the awesome replies. So much great information and some things I had not thought of. I leave in 3 days so not much time to prepare. It didn't occur to me to ask CD for advice until last night.

Both of my dogs are small. One is a Chihuahua terrier mix and the other is a Mountain Cur dog.

My destination is a friend's ranch so once we arrive all is good. We will be staying in the bunk house and have it all to ourselves. It has A/C and I will be bringing their crate and bed and plenty of potty pads. Plan to portion out the week's food in baggies. What they eat is easily found in most stores if I need to get more. Will probably also bring water from home or bottled water since water changes can cause upset tummies.

I will also have a cooler packed with things to eat and drink along the way so no need to stop for meals at dining establishments.

Third set of keys. Got it!

Both dogs have had lots of trips in the car and love riding. No problem there.

Pet/child proof car seat covers are installed.

Will be running the A/C when I make short potty breaks. I tend to be quick because I want to be on the road. Planning to take advantage of at least two state parks that allow dogs. Good point about the potential health threats of public dog potty areas. I had not considered that. Vet health certs... a little late for that but I won't be letting them talk to strangers. Heck even I don't like talking to strangers.

I have checked out the motels and campgrounds (Which reminds me... mosquito repellant) around potential stopping points but have not made reservations at this time since I don't know when or if I will need to overnight.(I love to drive and kinda want to just go from A to B. That said I can always call ahead along the way. Cell service should not be a problem and I am preparing a list of hotels in potential stopping points.

Both dogs will be harnessed and tethered in the car with Good2Go tethers and harness vests. Leashed at all times otherwise.

Brand new ID tags are already on their collars. We also have microchips.

At this rate I will have the dogs thoroughly prepared but forget to pack everything I need for myself.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:31 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Wow thanks for all of the awesome replies. So much great information and some things I had not thought of. I leave in 3 days so not much time to prepare. It didn't occur to me to ask CD for advice until last night.

Both of my dogs are small. One is a Chihuahua terrier mix and the other is a Mountain Cur dog.

My destination is a friend's ranch so once we arrive all is good. We will be staying in the bunk house and have it all to ourselves. It has A/C and I will be bringing their crate and bed and plenty of potty pads. Plan to portion out the week's food in baggies. What they eat is easily found in most stores if I need to get more. Will probably also bring water from home or bottled water since water changes can cause upset tummies.

I will also have a cooler packed with things to eat and drink along the way so no need to stop for meals at dining establishments.

Third set of keys. Got it!

Both dogs have had lots of trips in the car and love riding. No problem there.

Pet/child proof car seat covers are installed.

Will be running the A/C when I make short potty breaks. I tend to be quick because I want to be on the road. Planning to take advantage of at least two state parks that allow dogs. Good point about the potential health threats of public dog potty areas. I had not considered that. Vet health certs... a little late for that but I won't be letting them talk to strangers. Heck even I don't like talking to strangers.

I have checked out the motels and campgrounds (Which reminds me... mosquito repellant) around potential stopping points but have not made reservations at this time since I don't know when or if I will need to overnight.(I love to drive and kinda want to just go from A to B. That said I can always call ahead along the way. Cell service should not be a problem and I am preparing a list of hotels in potential stopping points.

Both dogs will be harnessed and tethered in the car with Good2Go tethers and harness vests. Leashed at all times otherwise.

Brand new ID tags are already on their collars. We also have microchips.

At this rate I will have the dogs thoroughly prepared but forget to pack everything I need for myself.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post

This is what I always do - rush at the end to prep for me. Have a nice trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs