Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:06 PM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times

Advertisements

The bone is about the size of a quarter and about a half inch think! Will it hurt him. He didn't get choked, I'm worried about it coming out the other end...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
How old is he? Many dogs are allergic to pork. I'd call my vet's emergency coverage to ask about it!!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
When did he swallow it? What you want to do is continue to feed him as normal. If there's something wrong he'll stop eating, most likely stop defecating (although there CAN be diarrhea around an obstruction) and will have vomiting.

I wouldn't be concerned about allergy, but rather about intestinal obstruction or perforation.

Performation will present similarly to obstruction and is easily seen on an abdominal X-ray.

Most likely he'll be FINE. Dogs have enormously high acid concentrations in their stomachs and the bone won't be nearly as large coming out as it was when it went in.

Keep us updated!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times
He is 12 weeks.......he swallowed it last night and is still having normal bm's and eating normally! He regularly eas pork so I don't think he is allergic........

maybe his stomach acids will take care of it. I gave the bone to the adult dog and she left it sitting there. The youngin came up and just swallowed it. Didn't even chew or lick it, just swallowed it whole then begged for more! He seems normal. Maybe he will be fine!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times
Keep an eye on his poop to be sure there is no blood. If he is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting or having diarrhea, I wouldn't worry a whole lot, just keep an eye on him. Dogs eat and pass odd things all the time, the worry is that there is a sharp edge on it that will do a number on the digestive tract on it's way through.

Good luck

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
He is 12 weeks.......he swallowed it last night and is still having normal bm's and eating normally! He regularly eas pork so I don't think he is allergic........

maybe his stomach acids will take care of it. I gave the bone to the adult dog and she left it sitting there. The youngin came up and just swallowed it. Didn't even chew or lick it, just swallowed it whole then begged for more! He seems normal. Maybe he will be fine!
You really shouldn't give Boxers pork most of them have really delicate digestions.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I err on the side of no pork whatsoever for dogs.

As for the bone, keep an eye on the poop and hopefully you'll see it come out (you might need to poke the poop with a stick to check each poop).

As long as everything (food) is going in okay and coming out okay, then there's no real worry of an obstruction, but if the pup starts to vomit, stops pooping or stops eating, run to the vet immediately.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Although we do not feed our dogs pork or beef, nor do we eat meat...many of you have strong opinions on pork. One of our dogs can't handle beef (we learned that quickly) it absolutely gives her diarrhea. Just curious...why is this pork not good for dogs. Please educate me with your opinions.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I've read several times that many dogs are allergic to pork so rather than take a chance, just don't give it to them. I can't cite any studies to back this up, though.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
We had a Boxer, and boy oh boy if she ever got a hold of anything but her dry kibble...**WHEWWWW**!!!!! Dog farted more than any other dog I've owned!!

I know my coonhound has eaten just about everything. Squirrels, rabbits, deer bones, rocks, sticks... you name it, she's more than likely consumed it. She's a tank.

I don't think I'd be too concerned unless the chop bone had a sliver of the rib on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs