Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,821 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have had our dog for about 2.5 years. For the first year and a half, we lived together with our 4 cats. During that time, she ate about 1/2 to 3/4 of her daily allowance of food (by choice) and the vet expressed no concern. Then, I had to go to Florida for a year and my dog and fiance originially moved and then realized we would go back to Chicago in a year (we hated where we were living) so my fiance and the dog left, I kept the cats. During that time, my fiance was getting a law firm up and running so he lived with his parents (and our dog). At their house, she would eat a regular mix of wet and dry food (Purina pro plan with both), and would also be fed pancakes, naan, rice, ice cream, etc (all his mom's doing). For the last month or so of her being at their house, she only would eat her dog food once a day or every other day.

About 2 months ago, I moved back to Chicago, we moved back in together with the cats. She ate a LOT of food at first (now Evangers wet mixed with Candide dry, which she used to LOVE), and I think some of her motivation was being afraid the cats would eat it first. OVer the past 3 weeks or so her appetite has faded again and she will go for 2 days without eating (but will eat treats if you offer it to her and will try to eat the cats wet food). We took her to the vet, everything seems to be physically OK and she said to cut out the dry food.

Now, we try feeding her Evanger's wet food (100% real meat!) only and she is STILL refusing about 75% of the time. So, the vet said to make her a broiled chicken breast and rice so we did make that and she scarfed it down, but she goes back and forth.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,940,327 times
Does she look like she isn't getting enough to eat? Is she thin?

It is probably just a matter of getting back to a consistent food routine. All the people treats she was getting might have taught her to hold out for something better.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,277,343 times
She won't starve herself, a dog is not made up that way. Place her food down at the same time daily, give her 20 minutes and then pull it. Once she realizes the pancake fairy isn't coming by,she'll start eating.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
LOL!!! My mother boiled chicken breasts for YEARS for her dogs. It was the only thing they would eat. She did not do it with their current dog since they started her own dog food (can) but this dog still won't eat it if it does not have one of her Pupcorn treats crumbled up in it.

What if you mixed the chicken and rice w/ dog food? Try a little at a time and maybe that will get her to eating dog food again. Agree, a dog is not going to starve itself to death UNLESS something traumatic has happened. Not being given people food is not traumatic, just altering

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks! Good advice. She actually ate 2 full cans of wet food today (her daily allowance) so we're happy. Weird!
BTW, she is a bit thin. The doctor brought that up at her visit. She weighs about 48 lbs and is a huskey/shepard mix. She's not immancipated or anything, but she's small.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,768 times
Many dogs do a great job of training their owners. Unless there's something physically wrong with her, she won't starve herself. Cleosmom gave good advice. Don't leave food down all day. If she's used to being free fed and receiving tasty snacks, she's probably forgotten what hunger feels like. Make sure she's drinking water. If she is, then feed her at specific times twice per day, give her 10 minutes, and pick up the food until next time. She'll eat. If you continue to give in and give her special food to whet her appetite she'll continue to hold out for that and ignore her regular food. If you give her treats you'll take the edge off her hunger and ruin her appetite. Try not giving her treats until she eats on schedule. Going a day or two without eating, if that is normal for her, isn't a cause for concern as long as she's drinking.

More exercise would be good, too. A hard working dog has a good appetite.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Many dogs do a great job of training their owners. Unless there's something physically wrong with her, she won't starve herself. Cleosmom gave good advice. Don't leave food down all day. If she's used to being free fed and receiving tasty snacks, she's probably forgotten what hunger feels like. Make sure she's drinking water. If she is, then feed her at specific times twice per day, give her 10 minutes, and pick up the food until next time. She'll eat. If you continue to give in and give her special food to whet her appetite she'll continue to hold out for that and ignore her regular food. If you give her treats you'll take the edge off her hunger and ruin her appetite. Try not giving her treats until she eats on schedule. Going a day or two without eating, if that is normal for her, isn't a cause for concern as long as she's drinking.

More exercise would be good, too. A hard working dog has a good appetite.
Thanks! There's never a problem with drinking. We also take 3-4 walks a day and one of the involves a trip to the dog park, so she gets plenty of exercise, which is why we were also concerned.

I appreciate the advice.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Thanks! Good advice. She actually ate 2 full cans of wet food today (her daily allowance) so we're happy. Weird!
BTW, she is a bit thin. The doctor brought that up at her visit. She weighs about 48 lbs and is a huskey/shepard mix. She's not immancipated or anything, but she's small.
My father always felt that a picky eater was an overfed dog. These things generally work themselves out, the dog just has to get it through his or her head that the options are "whatever you're feeding" and "nothing."

Why would you want to immancipate your dogs? They're generally easier to enjoy if they are captive, IMHO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs