Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,093,132 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about taking my Bichon in the cabin of the plane wih me on my trip home. I managed to get a nonstop-it will be about two and a half hours. I am getting a soft-sided carrier as suggested here(thanks!) and was wondering if any of you who have taken a carrier on board could help with another question. The airline said 18" was the length accepted on this particular flight. Do you know if they are absolutely going to demand compliance or could I get away with an 18 and a half or even a 19" carrier?
They said I should be getting the bulkhead seat because of traveling with a pet. Do you think this will be the case from your experience. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 03:57 AM

389 posts, read 3,540,252 times
I doubt they will get out their ruler, but be absolutely positive that the ENTIRE carrier is going to fit under the seat with not even a corner hanging out. Just like any carry on luggage, it has to fit under the seat without obstructing the area around your feet or the aisle.

I have never traveled with a pet, but I would never count on have a certain seat...I worked for an airline for several years, and I wouldn't bank on anything like that especially because bulkhead seating is usually blocked until day of and if someone gets there before you and requests it, or if there is someone in a wheelchair or something, there goes your seat. If I were you, I would reserve a seat that looks like it would be convenient for you (if this is a possibility on the airline you are traveling on) and then request the bulkhead when you check in if that's where you want to be.

Good luck

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,228,143 times
Earlier this month when my husband flew back from FL he traveled with a service dog. I guess the service dogs are allowed to have their own seat, as this one was not in a carrier, but rather in it's own seat!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,951 times
Little advice. Do NOT give poochie a bunch of food or water before flight.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Little advice. Do NOT give poochie a bunch of food or water before flight.
That advice is worthy of being repeated!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:00 PM

It's not likely they will be getting out a ruler. Just keep a low profile and go. A bulkhead seat would be my last choice. I would want to be able to slide the carrier under the seat in front of me. I could see the pup and the pup could see me. Chances are, your dog will just curl up and go to sleep. They seem to find the noise and vibration of the engines comforting.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:06 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,093,132 times
I thought maybe the bulkhead area would have more space for the carrier on the floor without having to be scrunched under. Is this not correct?

Old 04-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I thought maybe the bulkhead area would have more space for the carrier on the floor without having to be scrunched under. Is this not correct?
Call and check on your particular plane. When I have had a bulkhead seat, everything had to be put in the overhead compartment. We weren't allowed to have anything on the floor by our feet.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,821,403 times
The carrier needs to fit under the seat in front of you...they will not allow you to put the pet overhead. I would adhere to the measurement guidelines provided by the airline...you don't want to get there and find out that you can't take the carrier on...or maybe need to check your pet into cargo. This can happen. Also some airlines will allow bigger dogs in the cabin if you purchase a seat for them, not just service animals...but service animals are always allowed.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 AM

389 posts, read 3,540,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
No....it has to be under the seat. The area around your feet must be cleared and that includes purses, carryons, or pet carriers. I would agree with what was said earlier and skip the bulkhead seat and get a seat that you can put the carrier under the seat in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs