Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times

Advertisements

First, I posted this in the general area... my mistake. If you're a moderator, please delete that thread.

I jut picked up an tall (93" to 96") adjustable pet door for my patio slider. Used door, off of Craig's list.

Problem: How do I get it to hold it's height? It's a petsafe door. I looked it up on their website, and it seems I'm missing a height adjustment piece that should fit on the top. But that just may be for the newest model. The piece in the picture looks like the piece at the bottom of my door.

Here's the link to the manual, see page 4 of the pdf manual:

http://www.petsafe.net/PetSafe/files...57b323cfa4.pdf (http://www.petsafe.net/PetSafe/files/f8/f8ec34c9-3a1e-458b-81b8-d757b323cfa4.pdf - broken link)

Did I just buy a door that can't be used? If you have one of these doors, does it have one of these adjustment pieces on the top?
[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Is there a sticker with a model # anywhere on it? If you called or emailed their customer service, they might be able to tell you, and to send a replacement part if needed.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
I'm pretty sure both of the ones I've had did have an adjustment piece on the top, can you take it off the bottom and put it on the top? If I remember you put it in top first and pushed it up ( the adjustment piece slid up kind of like a shower curtain rod, then you let it down into the track on the bottom and let go and it adjusted itself to the height of your door. One of mine was older, then I got a newer one a couple years ago, both had same setup. Mine are in storage now as I dont have a slider currently. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
Default May not be missing a anything afterall

My old door has the adjustable on the top of the panel. There is only one adjustable piece and the folks you got your door from may have used it to adjust the height of the dog door opening.

The way it is supposed to work is you have the selfadjustable piece on top and place it over the upper rail of the sliding door pushing it up to compress the spring until you can line the bottom up with the lower track. You set the bottom in the track and the spring on relaxed a little and holds the door in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Who has an adjustable patio pet door?-dsc00448.jpg  

Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
My old door has the adjustable on the top of the panel. There is only one adjustable piece and the folks you got your door from may have used it to adjust the height of the dog door opening.

The way it is supposed to work is you have the selfadjustable piece on top and place it over the upper rail of the sliding door pushing it up to compress the spring until you can line the bottom up with the lower track. You set the bottom in the track and the spring on relaxed a little and holds the door in place.

This door looks like the adjustable piece is on the bottom. That's where the springs are. Are the springs on the top of your door??? When I tried it, it seemed not right having the springs on the bottom.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
I'm pretty sure both of the ones I've had did have an adjustment piece on the top, can you take it off the bottom and put it on the top?
I looked to see if it can be removed, but I dont' see it. Of course, I'm not all that handy. Are the springs on the top or bottom of your doors? This one has the springs at the bottom, which seems weird to me, since the weight of the door would only collapse the springs.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
Mine were on the top. Can you go to a home depot and look at a new one maybe? Doesnt seem right that they are at the bottom as like you said the weight would be an issue. Is it something you can loosen at all?
Maybe it needs to be adjusted exactly to the door or within an inch or so on yours before it engages... just enough to get it in the door? I may stop by my storage tomorrow , it so I'll try to take a better look at it. I know I've seen them in stock at a home depot though so maybe you can look at one. Bring your's in the car and see if you can see the difference if any.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM

I've look at other photos of doors and those doors have the adjustment on top, and the adjustment on my door is on the bottom, for some reason. I did find where the piece has screws, so I tried to remove them, but they turn, turn, turn, and don't come out! They also turn the tubular housings where the springs are inserted into. I just wonder how the hell these people used this door.

I only paid $20 for it, so I'll just list it on CL, maybe for free.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
If its missing the height adjustment, go to the hardware store and purchase two L-brackets (and a foam insulation strip for the top). Make sure they are the same or less than the witdh of the door channel. Then drill and screw them into the door and the channel. Thus its locked into place.

If you want the door to be removable. Then do the following:Go to the hardware store and purchase four small straight brackets (and a foam insulation strip for the top). They will each have four holes pre-drilled into them. Place the door in the channel and slide a bracket vertically up the door on the front/back of it up to the top of the channel. Drill your pilot hole and install the screw (but loose enough to allow some movement) in the bottom hole. Repeat three more times. Install insulation strip. Now install screws into the second hole of each bracket. It should now be tightly in place. Now if ever want to remove the door, just remove the screws from the second hole and rotate the brackets. If safety is an issue, purchase an un-treated 1x1 and cut it to size so it can be placed in the bottom channel between the rear of the sliding door and the end of the channel. That should do it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks, Neil, for the help. I'll print them out for whoever wants the door.

The whole purpose of this door was to just "snap into place" in the door frame. Not happening. I'm just going to get rid of the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs