Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 PM

830 posts, read 2,716,185 times

Advertisements

Ok, HOW do you keep a white, curly, longish-haired dog who lives in the desert and enjoys the outdoors clean? I could bathe her every day but I'm sure that wouldn't be good for her skin.

She looked quite a bit cleaner when she got shaved down at the groomer but that's not much of an option anymore due to behavioral concerns.

I suppose if I learned how to use clippers myself we'd be in business, but I'm afraid of making her look foolish. She's really cute with all her fluff too. But two days after a bath and she's all grey and brown and messy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 AM

106 posts, read 441,068 times
LOL. You can't. Unless you plastic wrap her. She sounds happy though. I have had a *bit* of luck with Magic Coat shampoo, but my JRT is always brown instead of white except for that 1 hour after a bath. If I brush him right away it helps. I hope some really good suggestions come in, I'd love to hear some too! I have a problem with this red dirt that just hardly will come off and of course that's where all of the dogs love to play. Go figure. I did buy some of those pet wipes things, and they sorta help a little, but they are expensive when you count all my dogs (10 now).

Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,504,029 times
What about using baby wipes on your dog between baths?

We've done that with Tonka when he gets a... well... certain musk and we are between baths. Like you, we have to be careful of drying out his skin. The baby wipes seem to do the trick, and can be a super quick way to keep him clean after a good romp in the park.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,380,604 times
I live in NE GA famous for the red clay...sooo my JRT is ummm red tinged...I just live with it...I know he's clean just dyed by mother nature

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

830 posts, read 2,716,185 times
Ack, thank goodness we don't have the red clay dirt. But Desert Grey-Brown is not becoming to her either. Her legs are the worst - they're her curliest part and quite a different shade than the rest of her once coated. The bathwater is disgusting. I tried those little boots on her at Petsmart once thinking they might help. She wasn't impressed, and would be too hot this summer anyway.

I guess if I had a more rugged-looking dog I'd feel better about walking around with her looking like that, but since she's a foo-foo, she just looks neglected. No one would ever believe she got it on her from rock scrambling and hiking. Although, to be honest, she picks up plenty of it just in my garden.

Ah well. She gets her bath a couple of hours before obedience school each week so at least she looks good there! :lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs