Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,717,245 times

Advertisements

I can hardly believe how hard it is to find a real American Pit Bull Terrier!

All I am finding are dogs that are mostly American Staffordshire Terrier or are Bullys and almost all of them are blue. Thousands and thousands of blue dogs. Whats up with that?

I've find a few places and thats it. It seems true APBTs are totally in the minority.

I can't believe people think blue pits are rare? A couple people have said wow thats a really rare color. Or I've never seen a blue pit. I'm kind of shocked because thats all I can hardly find anymore.

Do other breeds have these fads they suffer? I know I've seen the super huge Rottweilers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,432,157 times
Im sur they do. One Staff breeder was even pissed that some Staff breeders are trying to breed em with their heads closer to teh ground and more 'pumpkin' shaped too.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
There are 1657 rescued Pitt Bull Terriers available for adoption throughout the US on Pitt Bull rescue network search engine:

PBRC WebApp | Find a Dog

If you search through, odds are good that you'll find what you want.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:37 AM

If im not mistaken I think she breeds. Shes just commenting

Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Um yeah, thanks for trying to help but yes I'm more commenting. I know that its a big fad and those are usually the breeders that you see, I just didn't realize how the popularity has peaked since even a year ago.

What amazes me is how you can take dogs with similar pedigrees and one is very nice and other is very low quality. I guess thats what you get when you breed for the sake of breeding/$$ and when you don't cull. A dog can have a Champion grandsire and look like a total wreck. He can have CGC and TT dogs in the pedigree and be untrustworthy.

Most rescues won't adopt outside a certain area, few will, they will get another person who can be in the area and do the home check. They will fly or have a transport team drive the dog. However this is the minority. When I put in a search I don't get any dogs until I do within 300miles I get 18 and for within 500miles of my zip only 36 dogs came up. A dozen of those were mixed (or so it says some are not accurate) at least a few of the pics I seen were actual mixes though. A few were bully dogs and 2 blues. Most of the dogs were between 480-90 miles away. One of the rescues was one I contacted before I moved for help with some dogs, but they didn't have any foster homes opened. So I just fostered her myself and from then on never called them again and kept on doing it myself.

Anyway nope, none of them meet my criteria. I wish they could all have homes (and weren't there in the 1st place) but none of them would be what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something very specific and for a certain purpose. I have only found one person as of now with what I want, endless hours of net searching, talking to breeders at shows, calling people who might know other people, ect. I'm tired of seeing all the blue and bullies.

I have a blue foster right now. With the color so popular one might think it would be easy placing him but nope! They all want him for the WRONG reason. The last guy had a male (that he bred) and female pup from that and wanted him. For what BREEDING!

I just don't understand some people. "Does he haave papers?" Nope, he isn't registered. "Can you get papers on him?" No, he doesn't have any paperwork or pedigree. "Well do you know how to trace a dogs bloodlines" Um, yeah I can trace mine back to the 1800s, but like I said he doesn't have a pedigree, don't know who the parents were, if they were registered. I'm sure you could get papers but not through a reputable registry. "Well ours have papers, but the female right now doesn't and we are going to get some, you can get them" UGH I was so upset by now. Of course they want to know is he is neutered? Not yet. I really shouldn't waste my time but I think it is amusing talking to these people so I humor them a bit.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:44 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,181,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I can hardly believe how hard it is to find a real American Pit Bull Terrier!

All I am finding are dogs that are mostly American Staffordshire Terrier or are Bullys and almost all of them are blue. Thousands and thousands of blue dogs. Whats up with that?

I've find a few places and thats it. It seems true APBTs are totally in the minority.

I can't believe people think blue pits are rare? A couple people have said wow thats a really rare color. Or I've never seen a blue pit. I'm kind of shocked because thats all I can hardly find anymore.

Do other breeds have these fads they suffer? I know I've seen the super huge Rottweilers out there.
I'm not a breeder and I'm definitely not an APBT expert, but I do know that Blue isn't a rare color. It's almost funny to me (well, it's actually more sad than anything) when someone would rather pay out the a** for a poorly bred blue "pit" from a backyard breeder than pay that same amount for a properly bred APBT, of any other color really, from a responsible, experienced, reputable breeder! I'm sorry, but quality is a lot more important to me than color. For example, Brooklyn, our brindle male APBT is a pure bred, properly bred APBT, but because he's brindle and not blue or red no one wanted him! Our girls didn't come from breeders, they were both rescues. They didn't come from shelters, but they would have ended up in a shelter, if not dead, if we wouldn't have taken them. So, with them we weren't necessarily worried about how they were bred, but that's a whole different thing. It is ridiculous how concerned some people are about color, and those same people couldn't care less how the dog has been bred, you know? I think that so many pits are so poorly bred because the people that only want a pit to look or feel "cool" or "tough" and the gang members, drug dealers, dog fighters, backyard breeders, etc will buy just about any pit type dog just to make some money or intimidate people.. that kind of thing. It's sad that so many people use these wonderful dogs for stupid s*** these days! I have seen more blue pits than anything else. My husband and I use to want a blue pit, a properly bred blue pit or a rescued blue pit, but because so many people have them we decided that it didn't really matter. It's like our brindle is more rare than blues now! lol! I don't know, it's just sad that there are so many poorly bred pits and pits that end up with irresponsible owners these days. These are amazing dogs and people are ruining them!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Blue isnt a rare colour, but it is recesive from what Im told. If you breed blue with anything the anything wins. Its actually somewhat less know amongst Staffs, I wouldnt say rare though.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I'm not a breeder and I'm definitely not an APBT expert, but I do know that Blue isn't a rare color. It's almost funny to me (well, it's actually more sad than anything) when someone would rather pay out the a** for a poorly bred blue "pit" from a backyard breeder than pay that same amount for a properly bred APBT, of any other color really, from a responsible, experienced, reputable breeder! I'm sorry, but quality is a lot more important to me than color. For example, Brooklyn, our brindle male APBT is a pure bred, properly bred APBT, but because he's brindle and not blue or red no one wanted him! Our girls didn't come from breeders, they were both rescues. They didn't come from shelters, but they would have ended up in a shelter, if not dead, if we wouldn't have taken them. So, with them we weren't necessarily worried about how they were bred, but that's a whole different thing. It is ridiculous how concerned some people are about color, and those same people couldn't care less how the dog has been bred, you know? I think that so many pits are so poorly bred because the people that only want a pit to look or feel "cool" or "tough" and the gang members, drug dealers, dog fighters, backyard breeders, etc will buy just about any pit type dog just to make some money or intimidate people.. that kind of thing. It's sad that so many people use these wonderful dogs for stupid s*** these days! I have seen more blue pits than anything else. My husband and I use to want a blue pit, a properly bred blue pit or a rescued blue pit, but because so many people have them we decided that it didn't really matter. It's like our brindle is more rare than blues now! lol! I don't know, it's just sad that there are so many poorly bred pits and pits that end up with irresponsible owners these days. These are amazing dogs and people are ruining them!

Most people are too "dumb" no know they are doing anything wrong when they buy one of these dogs. Its just like people who buy from petstores. They don't realize those pups come from puppymills. Only when something goes wrong do they then complain that the pup died. If buyers would take a little time to research breeds and breeders then they could better protect themselves and get a true quality pup.

I don't think if a pet owner likes a certain color that is so bad, if they get it from a good breeder and still get the best pup for them. Sometimes I know I don't want a color or would rather have a certain color but thats not my deciding factor. When I got my female Santana (a brindle) I didn't want another brindle, the breeder kept telling me how great she looked but I just didn't want another brindle, especially not a lighter brindle. However when it came time to chose she was the best pick female. She had the best structure and was the most confident. The red female was ok, but had an underbite and the dark brindle was the most reserved and turned out to have a few more conformation faults. Same thing happened with Samara, I wanted a black brindle and ended up with a blue....lol
Even when picking a pet people should take into consideration the pups temperament and personality over color. What color the pet is isn't as important as how it will fit into your family.

That is very sad about Brooklyn. He is so pretty!!!! Some people are just plain stupid. I think he is a beauty, what bloodline is he? I never asked before, wasn't sure where you got him. Both the girls are cute though too and you know that. Brindle does seem rather "rare" right now because of the other populars out there. I've had people contact me wanting a pup thats brindle and saying they can't find brindle pups anywhere. Some people really like it, some hate it. I really don't care, although I do think the variations of brindle are pretty great. Almost any color can be brindle. I will have to post you some of my brindle buddies.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,181,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Most people are too "dumb" no know they are doing anything wrong when they buy one of these dogs. Its just like people who buy from petstores. They don't realize those pups come from puppymills. Only when something goes wrong do they then complain that the pup died. If buyers would take a little time to research breeds and breeders then they could better protect themselves and get a true quality pup.

I don't think if a pet owner likes a certain color that is so bad, if they get it from a good breeder and still get the best pup for them. Sometimes I know I don't want a color or would rather have a certain color but thats not my deciding factor. When I got my female Santana (a brindle) I didn't want another brindle, the breeder kept telling me how great she looked but I just didn't want another brindle, especially not a lighter brindle. However when it came time to chose she was the best pick female. She had the best structure and was the most confident. The red female was ok, but had an underbite and the dark brindle was the most reserved and turned out to have a few more conformation faults. Same thing happened with Samara, I wanted a black brindle and ended up with a blue....lol
Even when picking a pet people should take into consideration the pups temperament and personality over color. What color the pet is isn't as important as how it will fit into your family.

That is very sad about Brooklyn. He is so pretty!!!! Some people are just plain stupid. I think he is a beauty, what bloodline is he? I never asked before, wasn't sure where you got him. Both the girls are cute though too and you know that. Brindle does seem rather "rare" right now because of the other populars out there. I've had people contact me wanting a pup thats brindle and saying they can't find brindle pups anywhere. Some people really like it, some hate it. I really don't care, although I do think the variations of brindle are pretty great. Almost any color can be brindle. I will have to post you some of my brindle buddies.
Oh, I agree that it's not a bad thing for people to want a certain color, I was just trying to say that people shouldn't only worry about color and nothing else, you know? There are way too many people out there that only care about the color and the size of the dog. Honestly, temperament and health are the most important things to me when it comes to getting a dog. I'm not a breeder and I'm not going to be breeding, and don't have any desire to ever (or at least not right now) show dogs (though I do enjoy going to shows! ), so looks, bloodline, etc isn't too important to me. I just want a healthy, stable, tolerant, friendly, lifetime companion! I mean, color is somewhat important to us, we definitely wouldn't just buy a dog because it's a certain color, but if we had to choose between two great dogs, obviously we would choose the color we liked best! I love the color of all of our dogs, I feel like we got pretty lucky there. I feel like we got really lucky with their temperaments as well! With Brooklyn we pretty much knew that he was going to be a great dog, health and temperament wise, because he is a well bred APBT, but with the girls since we rescued them, we really didn't know anything about their parents, their health, etc, so we really had no way to know how they would turn out. We are lucky that they are as wonderful as they are! But with color we didn't have a choice with any of them. Like I said before, we did originally want a blue or maybe even a red (like most people want! lol! ), but I'm glad that we ended up with Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda! I wasn't ever the biggest fan of any kind of brindle, but for some reason I love the way Brooklyn looks! I don't know what it is, but I think he's gorgeous! And it's not just because he's my dog either, from the first second I saw him I just thought he was the most beautiful dog in the world! -I'll post a picture of Brooklyn the day we got him when I'm done typing.- Then with Destiny, she's so unique looking (at least I think she is). She's almost all white on her left side and she's got a lot of brown/ tan on her right side. She's got a brown patch over her right eye and it looks like she's got black eye liner on her right eye. Then the left side of her face is all white and she has two little black dots on her eye lid, right up against her eye. She also has a big brown patch on the bottom of her back that goes into the top of her tail and at the end of the brown patch, on her tail, she has a black line like outlining the brown patch. Out of all of them though, I think Jayda has the most unique markings. Jayda looks black and white, but she's got a few brindle markings. She has a white chest with a black patch right in the middle of her chest, which I think is cool because all of the dogs I have seen that have makings on their chest have a white mark on their chest, like Brooklyn. She has a white neck with a black spot on the left side of her neck and then her back is all black except for two small white spots right in the middle! I think all of our pups are gorgeous, but their temperaments and personalities are the best things about them! I really feel like we are unbelievably lucky to have ended up with the three dogs that we did! I can't imagine our lives without them in it! Anyway, to get back on topic, it's definitely not a bad thing to want a certain color, it's bad when people sacrifice quality for color.

Yeah, it's sad that no one wanted Brooklyn. It's their loss though! We ended up with a gorgeous, amazing dog! I wouldn't trade him for the world, he is so wonderful! You know, I'm not really sure about his bloodline! lol! That probably sounds horrible, but as I have said before, it's never really been important to me and I really don't know much about any of that. We are good friends with the guy we got him from and two days after we got him we went to hang out over at his house for a while and pick up all of Brooklyn's stuff, his papers, his vet/ shot records, etc. We were all watching a movie, my husband (Serg) and I, Josh (the guy we got Brooklyn from), Josh's wife and Josh's son, when Josh got a phone call from a friend of ours, Dan. Dan, owned a beautiful blue and white APBT, Indica Blue (I'm not sure if that's spelled right) was her name. Anyway, she started going into labor and Dan freaked out (This guy should not have been breeding, we all told him not to. I mean, Indica was a wonderful dog, she would have been a good dog to breed I guess, but Dan knew as much about breeding as I do! lol! So, it just wasn't good for him to be breeding.), he called Josh to get him to come over to his house to help him out with everything. He said that he knew something was wrong, but he didn't know what. He said that she had went into labor a while earlier and he had left her alone for 15-20 minutes and when he came back in she wasn't moving or anything, he didn't know if she was alive or not. So, all of us went over there, me, Serg, Brooklyn, Josh, Josh's wife and Josh's son. Again, I know nothing about breeding, so I really didn't know exactly what was going on, but it was not good! By the time we were able to get there Indica was dead. Everyone started freaking out about getting the puppies out, but after a few seconds they decided that rushing her to the emergency vet a couple miles down the street would be our best bet, as far as saving the puppies. So, we loaded Indica into Dan's truck and since Dan was such a mess, Josh drove Dan's truck. I drove our car and was in front of Josh and Dan, just in case we got pulled over, that way I would get pulled over instead of them so they could get to the vet, then Josh's wife and son followed Josh and Dan, but they weren't driving as fast because she had their son in the car. It was about 12am and we were going 100 mph to this vet, it only took us maybe 4 minutes to get there. Anyway, when we got there we got Indica inside then we all just waited outside, a few minutes later, Dan came outside crying and yelling! He was so mad because they told him that Idica had been gone too long and there was no way the puppies were still alive. Dan was going crazy because they wouldn't at least try. So anyway, it was just a horrible night. We had all spent a lot of time around Indica and we were all very, very attached to her. She was an amazing dog! It was really hard on all of us, but especially Dan. It was just heart wrenching to see 3 men crying like that and there's nothing you can do about it! So yeah, after all of that we just went home and we didn't notice until a few days later that we had left all of Brooklyn's paper work at Josh's house. Josh had been getting ready to move and a few days later he did move. We just really hadn't seen him or talked to him for a while, but Serg saw him at the gas station the other day, for the first time in a while. I had been bugging Serg to find a way to get in touch with Josh to get all of Brooklyn's stuff for a while now, I mean we don't even remember Brooklyn's exact birthday! We need that folder with all of his stuff in it. I had also asked Josh to get me a good picture of Brooklyn's parents, just because they are gorgeous! lol! And I have those pictures in that folder too. But we Josh's number now and we are planning on all getting together for a cook out or something before it starts cooling off too much outside, so hopefully we will get that freaking folder soon! lol! The pictures of Brooklyn's parents are regular photos, but I am going to take pictures of the pictures with my camera so I can get them on my computer. I'll post them when I get them so you can see his parents. Anyway, so as far as his bloodline goes, right now I really couldn't tell you. I don't know anything about the different bloodlines anyway, that's sad, I know! I do remember him saying something about Red Gator, Jeep, Blue Rhino and Razors Edge though. I'm not sure if those are bloodlines and I'm not sure if Josh was talking about Brooklyn, or if he was even talking about one dog in particular? I think he was talking about Brooklyn? lol! That night he was also talking about those Gotti pits though. Someone had sent him some video clip on the computer about Gotti pits and Josh had shown us how painfully big those poor things are! They look like they would be so uncomfortable! But I'll definitely let you know as soon as I know! Since I don't know anything about any of this, if I don't understand any of it, maybe you could help me out with all of that, you know, like learning about the different bloodlines and stuff like that. I love learning new stuff about APBTs!

Oh, and here's a picture of Brooklyn when he was a puppy. This was taken the day we got him, right when we got home! I didn't have my digital camera then, so this picture was a regular photo. I took a picture of the picture so I could get it on the computer! lol!
TinyPic - Share The Experience!™

Oh, and here's another one, same thing though, I took a picture of the picture! lol!
TinyPic - Share The Experience!™

Neither of those pictures are very good though. My brother-in-law has a bunch of pictures of Brooklyn when he was a puppy on his cell phone, I'll have to get him to e-mail some to me. By the way, sorry this post was sooo long!

**Wow! I used a lot of the faces, especially the sad faces.**

Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Since you're a breeder, I have a general question about birth defects.

My son's friend works for someone who is considered a reputable breeder of labradors. His main job is exercising, walking and playing with the dogs, but he also helps keep the kennels clean when someone has a day off. From what I understand, she has a huge facility with over 60 adult dogs. She employees many people to take care of the dogs. My son's friend is not the only person who is employeed to exercise and play with the dogs. And there are many other employees who do other jobs too.

My question: Is a cleft pallet a sign of being overbred? Does the fact that she has a puppy with a cleft pallet (viewed from the inside roof of the mouth, not the outside) indicate that she's not as reputable of a breeder as everyone seems to believe? Or is a cleft pallet something that can just result from even the best breeder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs