Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,738,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
If you cannot physically control your dog under desperate circumstances you shouldn't have that type of dog. As much as I hate see foo-foo dogs, weak-types are better off with them than large, athletic dogs.
Even better, when an adult allows a small child to hold the leash of a large dog, which he or she obviously cannot control.

Example: I was walking my leashed dog past a residence, and suddenly a large dog comes bounding towards us, into the street, despite the presence of several adults and children. My first reaction was to shield my dog for both his and the other dog's safety (I was not scared for myself at all), which I did, as well as saying loudly and firmly, "Leash your dog!"

The woman yelled snidely back at me, "He was on a leash, the child was holding it!" Uh, yeah . Because of course a 7 year old can control a large dog who weighs upwards of 100lbs.

As I shot her a warning glance, she muttered, "I'd be more worried about your dog hurting my dog, anyway."

Riiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:56 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I will not dispute that when brute strength is called for there is no substitute, but I've also seen a diminutive girl break up a nasty looking fight between a rottie and a pit mix. She quite simply had control over the rottie and knew what to do. Preparedness, how you carry yourself and just plain-old "knowing what to do" is every bit as important as how strong you are, if not more so. A 110 lb. weakling will have much greater success with a break-stick than a 275 lb. defensive tackle will have with his bare hands, ya know?
I have to agree...your energy as alpha is crucial in a crisis situation, whether it be potential or already in-action. Dogs will sense your vibe and react to it, so people who have a tendency to panic are especially poor candidates for the responsibility of walking a large or aggressive dog. People need training just as much as their dogs do, and I think first time dog owners should wait until they are sure they have complete control and confidence with their companion before venturing into neighborhood walks or dog parks. Some people carry a big stick, umbrella, or bat with them, some carry pepperspray or even a squirt bottle with water...but none of these things will make much difference if the owner freaks out and loses control! The best way to handle it is to NOT put yourself or your dog/s in this situation unless/until BOTH of you are 100% comfortable!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,720,294 times
The original poster said weak people should not own "large" dogs. S/he did not say anything about small dogs. I agree--my mom is probably not 120 lbs soaking wet, and 72 and weak. She still owns a St Bernard and another medium dog that is a lab mix. She loves dogs, but when she had three Saints and herself I used to joke she'd be found and be in a newspaper article.

I myself had German Shepards until I got arthritis and had one long/tall enough to knock me over--that was the last one.

Now I have a small malumute that is just the right size. When she is gone, I'll consider a lapdog. There is a dog for every physical ability.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,190,414 times
No dog owner should submit to their dog's will, no matter the size or breed.

Having knowledge about your breed and its tendencies is very important, but the signals we project as leader or follower are what the animal picks up on. A dog will follow a little old lady if she projects a calm assertive attitude.

Thank you Cesar!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Default Humans must be responsible for their dogs

We are BIG dog owners. We LOVE Rotts. We've had Rotts over 25 years.
Back when we lived in the county (neighborhood) I would walk 2 Rotts at a time. I also carried pepper spray, for any loose dogs running around.
I did this EVERY day, sometimes twice a day for over 8 years. Never once did I even come close to having an altercation.
Eventully people in the neighborhood knew the 3 of us...they didn't have a choice LOL. I changed a lot of peoples thoughts about the BIG BAD ROTTIES.
Those two were like walking 2 cupcakes. All they thought they were walking for was to meet people & get petted.
Our male was 140# our female was 100#
So people it can be done.
People just have to take the time to teach their dog(s) & love & spend lots of time with them.
People need to be responsible

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
Weak-willed people should not own dachshunds. They will take over your house if you let them. Very dominant little doggies.

I hate it when owners think it is "cute" when their little chihuahua gets all vicious baring their teeth and putting up their hackels... what is cute about that?! OMG it is horrid.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM

8 posts, read 33,797 times
This is a great thread. Once my dog was attacked by 2 black labs that literally pulled their owner off her feet. Another time she was attacked by a 60 or so pound mixed breed that yanked the leash out of a little girl's hand.

I now carry pepper spray and don't hesitate to use it. I nailed the 60 pound mix square in the face with it. I hated to do it but it was more humane than kicking it. The stuff works great and is only temporary.

Before my dog hurt her leg she was as athletic as any dog from daily walks and much exercise. Still, I had no issue ever controlling my 70 pound dog even she was a fairly out of control adolescent. A squirrel could put her into a frenzy but there was simply no way that she could ever pull me off my feet. I lift weights and I'm confident that I can overpower my dog (even if I couldn't!) Confidence is the key.

Now, before her injury of course, she hardly pays attention to other animals. She's learned to mind me, that I'm too strong, and that I'm the alpha.

Small humans walking large dogs always scares me. But I do know that it's not a problem with a well-trained dog. If your dog is not well-trained and/or thinks that he/she is the boss, you had better be able to control him/her physically.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,718,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyh View Post
This is a tough one because little dogs can be just as difficult to control (if not more difficult!) than larger dogs. All dogs need to be trained and socialized from an early age, no matter their size. It is a matter of ignorant owners, not out-of-control dogs.

You can use a harness instead of a collar... No retractable leashes!!!

I've been in a few situations with my 14 lb Dachshund who thinks he weighs 140... All you have to do is pull on the leash to drag him towards you. It's very easy to do vs. a collar since it pulls his whole body instead of just his neck. Then when you get him by your foot, you can simply reach down with one hand and and pick him up like a suitcase. After that, of course you have to carry him like a football to support his back. With a more square-built dog this isn't an issue.

Labs can be a trick sometimes. We rescued a 70 lb male who was apparently never walked before. During the day he was fine, but at night whenever he saw something, he would bark & try to wiggle out of his collar. 5 minutes of choke-chain training was enough to completely wear me out.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Labs can be a trick sometimes. We rescued a 70 lb male who was apparently never walked before. During the day he was fine, but at night whenever he saw something, he would bark & try to wiggle out of his collar. 5 minutes of choke-chain training was enough to completely wear me out.
This is where a pinch collar comes in handy. In my "younger" years of training, I had a trainer tell me with one of my very loving but stubborn Goldens, "either your going to build muscles on one arm, or you'll have to use a pinch (pronged) collar". I was insulted that he would even suggest such a instrument on my dog....UNTIL, the dog pulled my arm out of the socket. I went straight for the pronged collar...and with just a few sessions, the dog soon learned what was acceptable and what was not, with very little effort (strength) from me.
On these hairy, large, muscled necked dogs, it is the only way to go! BUT...one must also learn how to utilize the prong collar without doing harm to the dog.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Weak-willed people should not own dachshunds. They will take over your house if you let them. Very dominant little doggies.

I hate it when owners think it is "cute" when their little chihuahua gets all vicious baring their teeth and putting up their hackels... what is cute about that?! OMG it is horrid.
You know I own two chihuahuas and they are never allowed to do this . When they bark they are told no bark especially if they are barking at a bigger dog . No , absoloutle no no . and I dont think it is cute when the hackles go up on there back they are repremanded and they are also on a leash . that is why there are leash laws although there are some idiot dog owners who think they have the god given right to let their dogs go walking without a leash . small or big obey the leash law .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs