Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times

Advertisements

I equate Vick's actions to that of a convicted child sexual offender. Think about the future of child sexual offenders and the problems they face with intergrating back into society. I think Vick will be no different. Same thing though...I wouldn't want Vick or a child sex offender around anyone in my family or any child...nor would I want them to have access to that population...just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

315 posts, read 1,091,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. So what you're saying is that anybody who commits a crime (And all felonies require some degree of scummy character, whether it's pit bull fighting, theft, or running a meth lab in one's basement) deserves to spend the rest of his days performing only menial labor and earning a subsistence wage. Got it.
so basically you're saying that if charles manson were to do his time, get a haircut and then become a famous personality, making millions of dollars,
having our kids hero worship him, and living the life of the rich and famous, you would be cool with that?

no, not everyone who has done their time should be made to dig diches but those that kill, torture and abuse other living creatures, whether human on not, are a different class. i guess you would be happy to shell out some bucks so ted bundy, the son of sam and countless other seriel killers could live high on the hog. of course that would be after they "paid their debt"

those animals he tortured and killed, will never be able to "get on with their lives" so why should he. he's less than human so he doesn't deserve second chances. just my humble opinion.

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
And do you think they need to be in a position to influence our kids? As to menial labor, I guess he could start at the bottom of the ladder and work his way up to corporate like so many others in the employment pool have done in the pass. And what do you have against "menial labor"?
Absolutely nothing against menial labor, for all work is honorable. But what you're doing, in effect, is punishing a man after his official punishment has ended.

And, as far as influencing kids are concerned, I'm fairly certain that nobody's saying to themselves, "Hey, Michael Vick fights dogs, so I'm going to do it when I grow up." Instead, they're all saying, "Man, he flushed a million-dollar career for that?" To be honest, I think returning to a fairly high profile in the NFL will probably serve to underscore his stupidity rather than glorify it. For if he does indeed play, the subject of his prison sentence and the lost years of his career will be dredged out in every broadcast of every game. It will make a nice object lesson, if you ask me.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
so basically you're saying that if charles manson were to do his time, get a haircut and then become a famous personality, making millions of dollars,
having our kids hero worship him, and living the life of the rich and famous, you would be cool with that?

no, not everyone who has done their time should be made to dig diches but those that kill, torture and abuse other living creatures, whether human on not, are a different class. i guess you would be happy to shell out some bucks so ted bundy, the son of sam and countless other seriel killers could live high on the hog.

those animals he tortured and killed, will never be able to "get on with their lives" so why should he. he's less than human so he doesn't deserve second chances. just my humble opinion.
That's a terrible analogy. Charles Manson was sentenced to life. And there is absolutely no chance the man will ever be paroled. Yeah, they have the pro-forma parole hearings and then stamp "Rejected" on his application. Ted Bundy went to the chair. And, although I reject capital punishment, I would be hard pressed to argue against Ted getting the juice.

But we as a society put crimes against people on a different level than crimes against animals. I know that will cause your collective heads to swivel around spewing green stuff, but that's the case. Kill a dog, and you go to prison for a few years. Kill a child, and you'll be in there for life--which, if the boys of Cell Block D have their usual way with guys who kill kids, won't be for very long at all.

And once that person leaves prison, he is considered to have paid his debt in full. After that, you can dislike the guy all you like--and I'd be right there with you--but ongoing persecution just isn't justice.

What's more, what ever happened to the notion of reform and rehabilitation? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe he won't be doing this again, despite what he might have said in the heat of the moment?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
I will give you a point for how his acts will be broadcasted, but after awhile it will be old news. The public will no longer be reminded of his behavior. I do disagree that the kids, not the adults, will remember him for the dogs and not the flushed contracts. Those kids are not going to sit and talk about how he almost ruined his bank account they will say oh yea he is the one that likes to fight dogs. Adults would be more inclined to make comments like I can't believe he would throw away a contract over dogs. Not only that the man supposely made a bunch of cash from fighting his dogs, so eveidently he doesn't care where his money comes from.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
I will give you a point for how his acts will be broadcasted, but after awhile it will be old news. The public will no longer be reminded of his behavior. I do disagree that the kids, not the adults, will remember him for the dogs and not the flushed contracts. Those kids are not going to sit and talk about how he almost ruined his bank account they will say oh yea he is the one that likes to fight dogs. Adults would be more inclined to make comments like I can't believe he would throw away a contract over dogs. Not only that the man supposely made a bunch of cash from fighting his dogs, so eveidently he doesn't care where his money comes from.
Well, I think that's reasonable. Yet, he's burned through a large proportion of his cash, so I don't think many people are going to see him as very admirable at all.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I mean, what do you suggest. What would satisfy your boundless tastes for revenge? Forcing him to work at an animal shelter for the rest of his days?
Actually, I don't want this dog killer anywhere near animals for the rest of his life. That's like sending a convicted child sex offender to work at a summer camp. Not much of a punishment, is it?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Actually, I don't want this dog killer anywhere near animals for the rest of his life. That's like sending a convicted child sex offender to work at a summer camp. Not much of a punishment, is it?
Is dog fighting a compulsion? Is he using dogs for sexual gratification? Sorry. The analogy doesn't hold. For, using your criteria, we could say that any crime is a compulsion, when it is typically just really bad behavior.

Let's just extend your analogy a bit. If somebody goes upriver for sticking up a liquor store, does that mean they can never enter a retail establishment again? If somebody commits arson, does that mean they're not allowed to buy matches or own a charcoal grill? If somebody goes to prison for making crystal meth, does that mean they can never buy Nyquil again? See how quickly it falls apart?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
EX: Buying Nyquil, no, but working in an area that has drugs- yes. drug convictions would prevent hiring in those areas but it wouldn't prevent them from getting medical treatment. So without getting extreme, and back to Vicks, the man is sick, been convicted and should not be around animals. In some states it is court ordered that once a person is convicted of animal abuse/neglect then they can no longer own animals.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I also remember him saying he would do it again. I would love to see this guy living under a bridge one day.
Me too Bri!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs