Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times

Advertisements

Is this acceptable? Last weekend was the 'Pride' festivals, and I saw a couple people had colored their dogs fur, one pink another purple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Coloring dogs has been going on for decades, I remember back in...well a long long time ago, little old ladies would get their poodles died pink or blue or what ever. Nothing new. Would I do it...nooooo.

But I did go to an equestrian clinic one time where someone had taken a grey (white) horse and painted the skeletal system on the horse for demonstration purposes.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is this acceptable? Last weekend was the 'Pride' festivals, and I saw a couple people had colored their dogs fur, one pink another purple.
I'd never do it but then again I'd also never get a tattoo, pierce my nose, lip, eyebrow or tongue. As long as it doesn't harm the dog in anyway, I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure the dogs enjoy it since it would definately get them more attention.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Seems like people with little white dogs love to change their hair color on a regular basis, I honestly don't get the appeal.

We celebrate Pride but this is the extent of the dogs' "costumes." Tons of people brought their dogs to the parade and all had just a collar or shirt with the flag, not one colored dog in our neighborhood.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/MAA802/35138_1528731300711_1307552499_31437675_5166689_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Coloring dogs has been going on for decades, I remember back in...well a long long time ago, little old ladies would get their poodles died pink or blue or what ever. Nothing new. Would I do it...nooooo.

But I did go to an equestrian clinic one time where someone had taken a grey (white) horse and painted the skeletal system on the horse for demonstration purposes.
Had a coworker who saw something similar. The white/grey 'horse' was painted with black stripes and called a zebra.

It was for one of those Mexican donkey shows.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
if its done correctly i have no problem with it...
coloring nowrdays is done one of a number of ways
#1 "pet safe dyes" these dyes are chemical free and vegatable dye based but come "pre mixed" you put em on, let em sit a few mins and rinse em off...its safe, lasts a couple of months usually (though fades with washes) this is the method most groomers use as the colors are brighter and last longer at that intensity.
#2 "koolaid method" again its chemical free (or at least dangerous chemical free lol) edible and 100% safe. usually the sugar free koolaid powder is mixed with a little bit of water or with conditioner, put on as you would hair dye, sit about 5-10 mins then rinsed well...
this method tends to leave more "pastel" shades that fade quicker than the pet dyes, it tends to leave them smelling a little like whatever flavor koolaid for a few days.
i PERSONALLY use this method, mixing with conditioner, my dogs dont mind it at all...with my male if im playing with color on him i put it on then take care of his additional skincare while its "setting" hes hairless so he required exfoliation and such so its a good way to "fill" the time. my female...she likes bathtime and spends her "setting time" playing chase the floating hot dog peices lol. and the conditioner (dog conditioner) leaves them feeling soft and silky afterwards.
#3: "chalk" this like #4 are "temporary" color and usually last a day or 2 or untill the next bath...
#4: "childs washable markers"

chalk and markers are also safe, they dont last long at all and are usually the methods used for events like parades ect.

personally, for me, i dye my dogs because its fun...i dont do it for fashion, i dont do it to "show em off" (because i rearly leave out property lol) i just do it because...well its harmless and why not...
though i do frequntly dye my female who LOVES the attention PINK around halloween and we go 'trick or treating" for a cure.

i do have a problem with people dying their pets to match their outfits ect with NO reguard to the dogs personality...a dog who hates attention dyed a funny color is going to be stressed by the extra attneiton, this in my opinion is unfair to the dog...
howver a dog who LOVES attention dyed a funny color is fine with the extra attention and so no problems.

i also have problems with people dying their animals as a selling point (ie multicolored chicks and rabbits around easter...) i just feel it prompts uneducated purchase (kid sees pink chick and wants it..parent buys pink chick cause its cute, but have NO idea how to care for a chicken...)

as long as the animals comfort level comes into play first, and the animals health is kept in mind i have no problem with it.

if my dogs didnt like thier baths or didnt like standing still while the koolaid conditioner had chance to absorb then i wouldnt do it... their comfort level comes first, but my 2 dont mind bathtime at all, will happily stand in the tub with no tether, no forcing whatsoever ect..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
So...I guess the "Grecian Formula" for the Big D is out?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
There is a terrier in a rescue group I work with that has a serious mohawk... we've been toying with the idea of coloring it to get him more attention.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM

483 posts, read 854,092 times
I think we should leave dogs alone. I doubt they want their coats messed with and getting all dolled up to look cute. What does that really accomplish? If one wants to make a statement do it on yourself and not your pet because they can't say stop it and leave me alone!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I think we should leave dogs alone. I doubt they want their coats messed with and getting all dolled up to look cute. What does that really accomplish? If one wants to make a statement do it on yourself and not your pet because they can't say stop it and leave me alone!
LOL if you think a dog can't say "stop it and leave me alone"...you have never tried to clip their toenails, clean their ears, or brushed their teeth! Some dogs thrive on outside attention. The more attention they get the happier they are. Those dogs would thrive on it since it makes them stand out. Will I ever do it? Nope. Do I think it hurts them? Not in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs