Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Strange Study

Fido's tail wags may reveal more than you think - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
I have always had dogs, frequently as many as four at a time. I adopted a pregnant female dog that just had puppies, we crossed path with my neighbor and her two dogs and they were doing fine, then her dog shifted his tail toward his owner who was on the left and my dog Dusty went bezerk. I am going to observe this more often when I am at the dog park. I wonder how dogs interpret a Rottweilers wag of their little nubs of tails? I know that I personally have a hard time reading the message of tailless dogs and since dogs and us have been associates for more than 27,000 years, heck that is the past two ice ages, we humans must also have imbedded in us the base ability to read and understand the messages of dogs, some people better than others.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
We have Basenjis. Their tails are short and curled up and they don't wag them like other dogs. They also have ears that are always up. I have found that other dogs do tend to be more confused by them than regular tailed dogs. Sometimes, when my dogs want to play, the other dogs think they are being more aggressive than that it seems.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
My Basset doesn't wag to the left or the right. He wags with his tail with it placed in different positions---up or down and anywhere in between. There are full wags and partial wags but always centered and going each direction right and left. Tail completely up in a full wag is happy and excited. Tail wag completely up in a partial wag means he's onto a scent. Tail wag that is down means he's not feeling well but he's trying to perk up to our encouragement. Halfway in between up and down means he doesn't feel good but he's super excited. If he's defensive, his tail is straight and doesn't wag. Sort of like how a pointer breed does when pointing.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We have Basenjis. Their tails are short and curled up and they don't wag them like other dogs. They also have ears that are always up. I have found that other dogs do tend to be more confused by them than regular tailed dogs. Sometimes, when my dogs want to play, the other dogs think they are being more aggressive than that it seems.
That's so true. ON one episode with an aggressive Great Dane, Cesar Millan was on the porch with him and a target dog on the sidewalk. Everyone was calm. Then he was showing the owners about ears. He himself took the ears in his hands and put them forward to demonstrate and the target dog went berserk! Which of course triggered the Dane to respond in kind.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
That is an intriguing study, and I've been watching our Sweetie and her interaction with dogs at the dog park. Sure enough, and fortunately, they're all wagging to the right! I am totally fascinated. Here we have been living with dogs (as said above) for at least 27,000 years, and we're only finding out about this now? While dogs are perfectly capable of reading human body language. Hmmmmm...

Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have always had dogs, frequently as many as four at a time. I adopted a pregnant female dog that just had puppies, we crossed path with my neighbor and her two dogs and they were doing fine, then her dog shifted his tail toward his owner who was on the left and my dog Dusty went bezerk. I am going to observe this more often when I am at the dog park. I wonder how dogs interpret a Rottweilers wag of their little nubs of tails? I know that I personally have a hard time reading the message of tailless dogs and since dogs and us have been associates for more than 27,000 years, heck that is the past two ice ages, we humans must also have imbedded in us the base ability to read and understand the messages of dogs, some people better than others.
All the more reason to let them have their tails. Dogs communicate so much with their tails, and IMO, nubs reduce those communications to garbled whispers.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
They are probably communicating something about our species to the Mother ship when the tail goes to the left. Their tails are really an advanced antenna, for communication to their leaders about things they have learned about us during the observation. Dogs are really from another planet, here to monitor humans. Same as cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs