Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

My Harley a 6 yo LARGE JRT (35lb 13" tall) started this last night right around the same time. Shaking, trembling, panting and his tail is down. He follows me everywhere.

Now I took him to the vet today and mentioned this to her. She seemed to think it was a problem with anal sac since he had his first problem about a month ago with it. She said it wasn't bad.

Now again tonight he is doing the same thing. Shaking and panting and his tail down. He also seems to have a lot of gas which he has never had before. No food change so that isn't it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Keeper; 05-22-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
He may be in pain. Keep a close eye on him and consider a trip to the vet if he doesn't improve.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM

That is what is so strange he was like this last night and fine in the AM

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM

I see what you mean, it seems strange.

Maybe someone else will have another idea for you. But I'm afraid that no one over the internet is going to be able to tell you what's wrong with Harley. If he does ok tonight, I'd strongly urge you to take him back to the vet tomorrow. Or at least give them a call. If the anal sac 'wasn't that bad' then my guess is that's not his problem. You may need to do some more in-depth diagnostics to get to what's really going on.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM

yeah.. I was hoping someone might have experience with something similar so I at least would have some idea since she seemed to think it was the AS when I described to her what he was doing,

Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Sorry I can't be more helpful. What you're describing sounds like pain or anxiety to me.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
That sounds like what my dog does when there is a thnunder and lightening storm.It is anxiety IMO from something.Kind of like the fear of heights.My guess is he is having anixety from something.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I concur with the pain or anxiety suggestions. I had a beautiful Dobie that seemed to get migraines - she'd rush from one place to another, trying to get under something and rubbing the top of her head on the underside of whatever she was under. It only happened when a thunderstorm was approaching.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
yeah.. I was hoping someone might have experience with something similar so I at least would have some idea since she seemed to think it was the AS when I described to her what he was doing,
Yep, I have experience with the same thing & have been dealing with it since late Jan, 2009.

My girl, an 8.5 y/o Lab/Vizsla, also exhibits other "weird behaviors" in addition to what your JRT is showing, such as suddenly looking frightened and running away from "something", climbing onto inappropriate surfaces, *very* clingy, rapid & shallow breathing. She hasn't had gas, but has developed "gurgly guts", which is very unusual for her. No dietary changes for her, either, other than switching to a fish oil cap with Omega 3, 6, & 9 instead of just 3. (FWIW, I stopped all fish oil about 3 weeks ago and, touch wood, I *have* seen improvement. The vets doubt there's a correlation, but since they don't have a clue what's going on with her, my guess is just as valid as theirs. )

Her med history includes mild idiopathic focal point seizures, mod-severe DJD in her R hip, and mild supra-ventricular tachycardia. Her primary vet, her holistic vet, and her neurologist all have that "deer in the headlights" look, and I'm expecting the same response from her cardiologist. They don't know if the source of her behaviors is from head, heart, or hips; i.e., whether it is a response to hip pain, or feeling fear and/or discomfort as a result of an irregular heartbeat, or a new/different type of focal point seizure.

So far, acupuncture & chiropractic treatments have given her some relief, as did Tramadol & Robaxin for a period of time; neither protocol has resolved the issue. Interesting that you mention anal sacs - my holistic vet said that he's seen a correlation between similar behavior and chronic anal sac problems. Does Harley have a chronic anal sac issue and, if so, have they been expressed regularly and recently?

It's odd to hear of another dog having similar weird, sudden onset, waxing and waning "mystery issues". It makes me wonder if there are other dogs having similar problems, and I'm flashing on to the pet food contamination a couple of years ago. Out of curiosity, what do you feed Harley?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 162,301 times
First, Do u know if something happen to him during the evening hours? Did something happen that would have stressed him out? Also, what with the anal glands.. My dog could not empty his out so I take him to great groomer every other month and they clean them out when needed. Last, did u change his food, or anything else change in his life .... food? hours? people??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs