Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

OK.. I know he is OLD (15) and if they are like people they tend to be grouchy (I am old so I know).

He has recently just started barking at the younger dogs when they aren't even close to him. I know he has cataracts and figure that could be part of the problem. My oldest female dog has started just barking and barking at him for no reason. I think she is trying to be the alpha dog now and wonder if that is what is going on. I have started putting the old guy in my bedroom to give him some peace and quiet when I am home. I put her in a crate when I leave the house since they had a fight once when I left.

He has hip problems but other than that no other problems.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
I suspect he has some amount of pain (arthritis perhaps) and cannot move as fast. This is his way of saying stay away, go away, I dont want you to touch me. Plus if he cannot see or smell as well, he doesnt want to be startled.

You have already figured out the dominance role changing that is going on due to declining health.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I noticed this morning she seems to follow him or just go to the room he is in and bark at him. I guess my first thought was maybe she knows something I don't about his health.
I guess I better stock up on clariol as my hair is going to get a lot grayer dealing with this.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM

114 posts, read 208,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
OK.. I know he is OLD (15) and if they are like people they tend to be grouchy (I am old so I know).

He has recently just started barking at the younger dogs when they aren't even close to him. I know he has cataracts and figure that could be part of the problem. My oldest female dog has started just barking and barking at him for no reason. I think she is trying to be the alpha dog now and wonder if that is what is going on. I have started putting the old guy in my bedroom to give him some peace and quiet when I am home. I put her in a crate when I leave the house since they had a fight once when I left.

He has hip problems but other than that no other problems.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I should do?
First things first neither one of your dogs shouls assume the role of dominant leader that title should be yours that would alleviate any problems of one trying to dominant the other. And if you see this behavior you should lay both of them down on their side facing each other to let them know your taking control of the situation. Good Luck

Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I have an oldster who I adopted at 14 (he's now 16). His only health problem has been stiff hind legs and he does get defensive when lying down, because he can't jump up too fast. He's had some real relief from an injection called Adequine (sp?) which used to be used for horses, but is having great results in old dogs. The dog gets a weekly injection for a month, then monthly if there are good results. It's not like cortisone, which only helps the area where it's injected- Adequine is systemic, and goes to damaged joints in the whole system. I've seen a real change in Ezra's mobility. He runs up steps, gallops in the yard, and has a much better time lying down and rising. It sure couldn't hurt to try this with your oldster if discomfort is causing some of his behavior. Good luck. I love the senior dogs. Oh, I have no commecial interests in Adequine, was just happy to learn of it from my vet. Best Friends has also had very good results with their oldsters in the Old Friends residence (where Ezra came from).

Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I have an oldster who I adopted at 14 (he's now 16). His only health problem has been stiff hind legs and he does get defensive when lying down, because he can't jump up too fast. He's had some real relief from an injection called Adequine (sp?) which used to be used for horses, but is having great results in old dogs. The dog gets a weekly injection for a month, then monthly if there are good results. It's not like cortisone, which only helps the area where it's injected- Adequine is systemic, and goes to damaged joints in the whole system. I've seen a real change in Ezra's mobility. He runs up steps, gallops in the yard, and has a much better time lying down and rising. It sure couldn't hurt to try this with your oldster if discomfort is causing some of his behavior. Good luck. I love the senior dogs. Oh, I have no commecial interests in Adequine, was just happy to learn of it from my vet. Best Friends has also had very good results with their oldsters in the Old Friends residence (where Ezra came from).

Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
First things first neither one of your dogs shouls assume the role of dominant leader that title should be yours that would alleviate any problems of one trying to dominant the other. And if you see this behavior you should lay both of them down on their side facing each other to let them know your taking control of the situation. Good Luck
Disagree in part, Jersey, although I agree with other things you've said!

The human HAS to be the pack leader - you are absolutely correct...and that is instilled with consistency and a no-nonsense approach.....however, here's where we differ:

That 'put 'em on their side' thing...That's a version of the alpha roll endorsed by Cesar Milan, whom I personally believe to have probably caused more dog bites in the past decade than anything else I can think of. If you have two wanna-be dominant dogs, you have NO business rolling either of them anywhere unless they are small enough you could actually physically tear them apart if a fight broke out. If they are medium weight or above, don't do it. You MUST get down somewhere close to their level to accomplish this, and while they are strutting their stuff is not a good time to be eye level with them - if the s^^^ goes bad, you're in the midst of it.

The alpha roll has it's place with people who are highly, highly trained...actually, I'll take that back. I don't think anyone should attempt it because you are putting your body in the dog's personal space. If you have a dog that is already agitated it could go south in a hurry.

Aggression and dominance have to be managed carefully, but if you can't deal with the situation standing up, surely do not be bending over....and for the love of Pete, be carefuly trying to break up a dog fight.

To the OP - I have a 15 1/2 year old Rottie named, uniquely enough, Miss Girl. She also has cataracts - we also call her Grandma because she's so grumpy. I think there is a gradual shift for someone to try and take over her spot as queen and we are ever vigilant with the other dogs - but you are doing the right thing by simply separating them at this point when you can't be there to monitor. The old guy deserves to live out his days in peace, and I truly believe that dogs revert back to their pack ways at certain times - the weakness, failing health, and age of an older pack member seems to bring out the worst in all of them. Having a pack myself, I kind of see it in motion all the time.

OP - have you tried giving your guy 1 adult buffered aspirin a day to hold the arthritis at bay, and is he taking glucosamine and chondroitin? It will help...although much of the damage is already done, the aspirin will help with the pain.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM

114 posts, read 208,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Disagree in part, Jersey, although I agree with other things you've said!

The human HAS to be the pack leader - you are absolutely correct...and that is instilled with consistency and a no-nonsense approach.....however, here's where we differ:

That 'put 'em on their side' thing...That's a version of the alpha roll endorsed by Cesar Milan, whom I personally believe to have probably caused more dog bites in the past decade than anything else I can think of. If you have two wanna-be dominant dogs, you have NO business rolling either of them anywhere unless they are small enough you could actually physically tear them apart if a fight broke out. If they are medium weight or above, don't do it. You MUST get down somewhere close to their level to accomplish this, and while they are strutting their stuff is not a good time to be eye level with them - if the s^^^ goes bad, you're in the midst of it.

The alpha roll has it's place with people who are highly, highly trained...actually, I'll take that back. I don't think anyone should attempt it because you are putting your body in the dog's personal space. If you have a dog that is already agitated it could go south in a hurry.

Aggression and dominance have to be managed carefully, but if you can't deal with the situation standing up, surely do not be bending over....and for the love of Pete, be carefuly trying to break up a dog fight.

To the OP - I have a 15 1/2 year old Rottie named, uniquely enough, Miss Girl. She also has cataracts - we also call her Grandma because she's so grumpy. I think there is a gradual shift for someone to try and take over her spot as queen and we are ever vigilant with the other dogs - but you are doing the right thing by simply separating them at this point when you can't be there to monitor. The old guy deserves to live out his days in peace, and I truly believe that dogs revert back to their pack ways at certain times - the weakness, failing health, and age of an older pack member seems to bring out the worst in all of them. Having a pack myself, I kind of see it in motion all the time.

OP - have you tried giving your guy 1 adult buffered aspirin a day to hold the arthritis at bay, and is he taking glucosamine and chondroitin? It will help...although much of the damage is already done, the aspirin will help with the pain.
Oh wow ok you make some very valid points thats funny I did get that from Cesar Milan lol ok well just go to show don't base everything on television programs but I could've sworen I read it in one of my books to..... oh well thanks for the correction

Old 08-17-2007, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
Oh wow ok you make some very valid points thats funny I did get that from Cesar Milan lol ok well just go to show don't base everything on television programs but I could've sworen I read it in one of my books to..... oh well thanks for the correction
lol we all make mistakes but big of you to admit it lol

Old 08-18-2007, 11:02 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I noticed this morning she seems to follow him or just go to the room he is in and bark at him. I guess my first thought was maybe she knows something I don't about his health.
I guess I better stock up on clariol as my hair is going to get a lot grayer dealing with this.
Don't allow her to bark at him. Let her know it's unnacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs