Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times

Advertisements

Chester is a 4 year old Cocker Spaniel. Usually very hyper, hungry and happy.

Since Thursday of last week, I've been noticing a few things. One Thursday late morning he came running into the den, ducking between my legs as I sat at the computer, acting like something had "spooked" him.

(Gross part) When I went out to the living room later, I found one of my used "women's products" shredded on the floor out there. It didn't look like he ate any of it - just shredded it up, just like he does with kleenex or paper towels.

The rest of the day he just stayed sleeping in the corner. He ate his food that night, drank a bunch of water. He seemed fine.

Then on friday I noticed he couldn't jump up on the couch like he normally does. He get up on his hind legs and it was as if he just didn't have the energy to jump up at all. So he gave up and just laid down on the floor.

Saturday morning (yesterday), when I took him out back to do his thing, he wasn't able to climb back up the three steps to the deck. So I had to pick him up and carry him up.

He's pooping alright, and peeing. His poo looks just a tab bit smaller and almost borderline diarrhea. So he isn't constipated.

He ate just fine yesterday.

This morning I took him on a walk, and he did just fine, dragging me the whole way as he normally does. He doesn't limp at all.

When we got back, he didn't touch his food. It's now 12:30pm CST, and he STILL hasn't eaten, and we've been up since 6:30 this morning!

I'm mostly likely going to call the vet tomorrow.

What does this all sound like to y'all? A stomach problem, or something worse like a hip thing? Cancer?

I just don't know, and I just sit here worried about him, as he lays next to me with him stomach growling - still not wanting to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Chester is a 4 year old Cocker Spaniel. Usually very hyper, hungry and happy.

Since Thursday of last week, I've been noticing a few things. One Thursday late morning he came running into the den, ducking between my legs as I sat at the computer, acting like something had "spooked" him.

(Gross part) When I went out to the living room later, I found one of my used "women's products" shredded on the floor out there. It didn't look like he ate any of it - just shredded it up, just like he does with kleenex or paper towels.

The rest of the day he just stayed sleeping in the corner. He ate his food that night, drank a bunch of water. He seemed fine.

Then on friday I noticed he couldn't jump up on the couch like he normally does. He get up on his hind legs and it was as if he just didn't have the energy to jump up at all. So he gave up and just laid down on the floor.

Saturday morning (yesterday), when I took him out back to do his thing, he wasn't able to climb back up the three steps to the deck. So I had to pick him up and carry him up.

He's pooping alright, and peeing. His poo looks just a tab bit smaller and almost borderline diarrhea. So he isn't constipated.

He ate just fine yesterday.

This morning I took him on a walk, and he did just fine, dragging me the whole way as he normally does. He doesn't limp at all.

When we got back, he didn't touch his food. It's now 12:30pm CST, and he STILL hasn't eaten, and we've been up since 6:30 this morning!

I'm mostly likely going to call the vet tomorrow.

What does this all sound like to y'all? A stomach problem, or something worse like a hip thing? Cancer?

I just don't know, and I just sit here worried about him, as he lays next to me with him stomach growling - still not wanting to eat.
He could have a partial intestinal blockage. I would take him in today.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
vet ASAP.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM

I just got him to eat. I mixed a hard boiled egg in with his dry food and coaxed him over to his dish and he just ate it all.

I'll monitor him the rest of the day and call the vet in the morning tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
My black lab chewed up one of his Christmas toys. We were at the vet in about 10 hours and he had to have IV anti-biotic because the blockage was already causing an infection.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
did you fell the back of the dogs legs where the hips are to see if there is any pain? My dog is older
and had the same thing, and I did think hips, the only way because she yelped when feeling there
was an xray, hips are fine. My pocketbook is alot poorer. She also has some pills to take for joint
pain. I did wait 2 days b4 I called the vet because same thing happened with her front paw, and she
wass well the next day.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
This could be anything, really, from your description.

Back pain often makes dogs not want to jump.

If you think she has an intestinal obstruction do NOT feed! It is possible to get diarrhea around an obstruction.

You really need to have your vet assess, as you are doing. Hope he's doing better soon.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My dog ate some stuff I didn't know about and got a life-thratening intestinal blockage. She had emergency surgery and is OK now but the vet told me another day would have seen her dead. You don't really know what he actually ate unless you put the thing bnack together! Vet ASAP. He needs an X-ray and maybe ultrasound.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM

He seems like he's doing okay so far today. He ate earlier this afternoon.

Also I poked around his stomach area a few times and he didn't wince or whine when I did it. I think he was hoping for a belly rub while I was there - which I did!

I've also moved around his back legs and rubbed on them - again, no wincing or whining when I touched him there.

But I'll be calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning. He just doesn't seem that sick enough for me to run him out to see her right now.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 AM

Well, I'm not sure if he had a stomach bug or something over the weekend to make him feel like he did, but this morning he seems a whole lot better!

I woke up about 4am, worrying about him and took him outside and he seemed a bit more energetic.

Then I put food in his dish and he ate it all right away - unlike yesterday when he wouldn't eat at all.

I did call the Vet last night and left a message on her service, so I'll talk to her and see if I still need to bring him in. It just seems whatever was wrong has just about cleared up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs